The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: strikemaster or eskimo  (Read 2086 times)

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
strikemaster or eskimo
« on: Oct 08, 2004, 04:13 PM »
I was wondering which one to get. I was looking at the mag2000 w/ a 10" bit, and a 10" Eskimo Shark w/ chainsaw engine.Ive looked through, all the posts , and was wondering which would be the best for the money, reliable. they're both priced around the same, any opinions?
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re: strikemaster or eskimo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2004, 04:42 PM »
I bought a Mag2000 Last year, but the 8.25" diameter..it has been a great Auger! Theres probably a few guys on this board who use the same model, and will tell you the same. The single blade really cuts well for being one blade (plus its cheaper to replace blades when the time comes) The only problem I had once, but it was not the augers fault was a stuck throttle. I was out on a day it rained on the ice, the temps turned to freezing cold, the linkage was wet and froze/iced up. That was a weather related problem, not the augers fault, never happened again since. Its to my understanding that Eskimo is doing away with the chainsaw engine (Tanaka engine). I heard or read about this somewhere, I dont recall where, I dont know if that is true or not. I think the Mag2000 is great Auger for the money, and is fairly lightweight compaired to some of the other gas augers out there.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Its to my understanding that Eskimo is doing away with the chainsaw engine (Tanaka engine). I heard or read about this somewhere, I dont recall where, I dont know if that is true or not. I think the Mag2000 is great Auger for the money, and is fairly lightweight compaired to some of the other gas augers out there.

Eskimo stopped using the Emak chainsaw engine because last year they only received half of what they ordered. They now build their own engines(2 models) for the Shark auger now. It is my understanding that with the 2 blades(like the shark), they don't bounce around as much as the single blade augers. My one icefishing partner has an older model of the shark and it works like a charm. Very fast also.
With a 10" blade, I would go with the larger displacement engine so it doesn't bog down as often. A lot of people go with a 3 H.P. engine when they go with a 10" blade. Just my 2 cents.

The moderators will probably like to move this to the equipment(ice auger) forum.
Ken                                          

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2004, 06:00 PM »
As long as an Auger war doesn't break out it's ok for this time of year.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2004, 08:54 PM »
LOL Auger war... Never had my Mag 2000 Bounce around, they do have a starter point. Ive yet to experience it jumping or hopping around, and it gets used ALOT!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2004, 09:16 PM »
Fish Deep creek, I have the Msg 2000 and a Jiffy Stealth 3hp. The Mag200 doesnt jump real bad but compared to the Jiffy it does jump. By jump I mean it doesnt start drilling as fast. The Jiffy doesnt not turn without heading downwards. The Mag 2000 is a good auger. I would recommend getting the 8.25" head tho. I havent had any trouble with mine just some learning curve. It doesnt  need any throttle to start and use a thinner ratio than what is stated on the label.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:33 PM »
in 1987 i bought my first power auger .its a 2 hp. 8" eskimo.it weighs 28 lbs. it starts 2 pulls cold , one pull warm.it has never failed .new blades every other year,new plug every year.for its 17th birthday i got it a new auger bit.it cuts like new.it has been there while my kids grew up.i cant even imagine how many hole it has cut but i love it!did i mention it has never failed.one year i put it away without stabil and it wouldnt start the next year,so i removed the jet blew out the booger and vroom...that was me that failed not the auger.gotta take care of them.they are small simple motors so they are not hard to maintain! good luck no matter what you buy!the auger war will hit so remember what i sayt as i wont want to be involved!! :cookoo:

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Yes that is a good point Billditrite, do have to do a little maintence to keep them running at peak. They pretty straightforward motors on most. Think almost everyone seems to be using Tecumseh motors these days. Im a big fan of using Stabil, I always add it to my gas mix. Alot of 2 cycle oil these days already have a stablizer additive in it, although I dont think Strikemasters smokeless 2 cycle oil is usung it.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2004, 01:07 PM »
still cant decide, have heard many good things about both,I think im heading towards strikemaster right now,unless i find a really good deal on one. thanks for your input

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2004, 02:10 PM »
anyone know a good place online, to get gas augers, with resonable prices? I know that reeds sporting goods, has the mag 2000 for $279 10" but I dont know if they can ship to MA. Anyone ever dealt with this place. any info would be appreciated

thanx- red_eyes

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2004, 04:19 PM »
you should be checking ebay. Every once in a while you can score a real good deal.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Do you have a Gander Mountain store where you live? I bought mine there for about $235.00, but mine is the 8.25" Diameter, im sure the 10 inch model may be a tad more. Ebay can be good, as well as online places, but you have to see what they charge to freight it to you. Something like a gas auger isnt going to real cheap to ship. Someplaces claim free shipping, but up the price to make up for it...shop around before you buy.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Red Eyes,

Beware of Reeds!  Many of us ice fisherman (including myself) have had a very bad experience with them.  There was some discussion about them last year on IceShanty.com.    Rumor has it they have new management and therefore, may be fine to deal with now.  If you need additional info about my experience with them IM me.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2004, 02:22 PM »
I dont have a gander mtn. near me. I have looke dta cabelas, and they have the eskimos for $219-329, shipping is $14. but I think Ill contact my local bait shops around here to see what they have. If I can find a good deal somewher, then Ill look into it. Thank you for all your replies. now that I have heard good about both, which ever one I can find for a better price is the one I will get.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.