Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: looking for walleyes  (Read 2320 times)

Offline icedbunz

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for walleyes
« on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:53 PM »
 I am planning to go out for some eyesnext week and need some input as to where we shold go.I have read and heard a lot about Storm and Spirit lake area but have never fished them.Any input is appreciated. 

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
Re: looking for walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:37 PM »
I've always fished Clear Lake in the past.  Should be more decent size wallyee this year.  Still alot of yellow bass over there also.  I waded the island a couple weekends ago, but I'm sure there is decent ice by now, have not heard any reports or been over there myself since.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:01 PM »
10 inches on most parts of clear lake.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Fished clear today and we got a couple sublegal eyes and some yellow bass.  High pressure system had the bite tough for us....saw quite a few on the vex and aqua-vu belly to bottom just coming up and nosing baits.  Did manage some fish in the FRIGID temps though so all was not lost :)

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2004, 11:49 PM »
Seems like all the walleyes in there ive caught so far this year are 13 thru 13 and 3/4,only legal ones were a 15 and 18.  The thing is keeping them damn yellow bass off the hook. :o At least they have some size this year though....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2004, 05:35 AM »
Alright, I have heard enough about the yellow bass. Im coming to catch some. Where is a good place to start to thin the herd a bit?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2004, 01:54 PM »
Ventura channel on Clear Lake's West side is good.  Pumphouse aerator is also another good area thats on north shore.  Should be trucks out there this weekend? Know the lake well before you drive out though.  Thats my 2 cents.....

Offline icedbunz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2004, 06:02 AM »
  Thanks for the info. Probably will be on Clear Tues. a.m. Will stop by Dome first  for bait and any more info.Won't drive on the ice though, know a guy who went down and it's along walk back to Dsm.     

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:15 PM »
Plenty safe to drive around the island went out today and there were lots of trucks on the ice.  Dont know about the rest of Clear Lake though.   One guy even had a 3/4 ton with a camper out there!!!! ::)    Didnt measure it though, but was prolly around 12-14 inches.

iceman480

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Hey I know you are mostly looking at clear but I have seen a few eyes being caught at Brushy Creek around the north boat ramp might want too check it out

Offline icedbunz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:37 PM »
  Just got back from Brushy . Drilled a lot of holes and never got a bite! Everyone else was getting skunked also which does'nt make us feel any better , but it helps. We are going out again Wed. but don't know where yet depends on ice,any suggestions?

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2005, 11:39 PM »
I fished Clear Lake Sat. afternoon and night.  Got one 14" walleye and a couple striped bass.  Been a long time since I caught stripers there.  Anybody else catching them?  Got them at 8-10 ft in 14ft water east of the island. Good 10"+ of ice.  Weather was too crappy, windy and icey for anyone else to be out I guess, so I didn't talk to anyone else there.  There are maybe 6 or more permanent shacks there right now. Had a good time fishin anyway. Anybody else doing any good at Clear Lake?

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:14 AM »
If'n you're looking for eyes, a guy might want to go below the tube at Rathbun.   Pretty hot last week.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Been fishing Farmers beach on Clear Lake past few days got four 16-18 inch walleyes and buncha cigar sized ones too.  And lots of yellow bass/stripers but you can fish anywhere on the lake and catch them any time it seems.  Fishing in 11 foot of water with 13 inches of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.