The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2012 hunting seasons, any luck?  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 2012 hunting seasons, any luck?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:20 PM »
NewToIce2012, I don't know what part of the state you're in but some guys from the Northeast part of the state have been planing a get together at the Prompton Dam on Jan 19th.  You're more than welcome to come and hang out with us, we'd be more than happy to have you and show you some things and give tips.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Comming from the guy that has has 29 posts from 2003 until now. 

Lurker in other words.

with 90% of em just asking how the ice is...gotta give him credit though...most of the lurkers make their 5 to view the conditions board and then don't post anymore...he atleast put a little more effort into being a lurker  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2012, 08:01 PM »
with 90% of em just asking how the ice is...gotta give him credit though...most of the lurkers make their 5 to view the conditions board and then don't post anymore...he atleast put a little more effort into being a lurker  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

True...  I noticed all of that to.  Gotta give him that.   ;D

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline digdog23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:41 PM »
I am only in the 20's. The "gentleman" gives everyone a bad rap, just go quietly away.

Offline knucklehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:27 AM »
2G, don't even bother. Saw 6 deer in three days. Used to see50 or 60.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:56 AM »
2G is a big area..I have good luck in my part of it most times , but def. not like 20-30 years ago!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Pa. deer herd is not the same as the heydays,I'm 60 so I no what good deer hunting was and is. Still have good luck but put in a lot of time,I hunt Ohio also,My son killed a big 11pt bow in Ohio and I got a big 8pt bow in Ohio. Son got a 10 pt bow and I got a big 8pt gun in Pa. We don't see many doe anymore and hardly every kill one,my son hasn't shot a doe in 7 years by choice. I want to kill a doe in the late season(bow of flint) but just can't seem to do it with the low numbers.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I was just reading an article in the Pennsylvania Outdoor News that a guy went into the County Treasurer's office and bought 100, yes one hundred, doe tags for 2B to prove a point on the policy of the Game Commission for allowing the unlimited number of doe tags that could be bought here.  The lady at the County Treasurer's office the most they sold at once is 20.  In this article the guy says about how bad the hunting is in 2B and 2G and wants to bring attention to this issue.  I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out that this is a real problem and is the major factor why the deer numbers are down.  In 3C and 3D they number of licenses is limited to between 35,000 and 40,000 for rough numbers but deer seen in the woods is very very low compared to years before.  I think it's high time the Game Commission pulls their heads out of the sand, wakes up, and realized WE PAY THEIR BILLS and stop the slaughter of the deer.  They cry that license sales numbers are down ever year and more than the previous year, now I can't imagine why that is.  DUH!  Why would a kid want to sit in the woods and see nothing or why would an adult want to use their vacation or loose a day's pay, especially in this economoy, to a very low chance of getting a deer?  I feel bad for all the hunters and even more so for the ones who are hunting deer to help feed their families in these hard times.

Offline icehippy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:16 PM »
welcome back fellow ice men. hopefully we will be on by next w-end. did have some luck with the bow this year. shot a 8pt and a doe so far. hope to get out a couple more times in the late season before the ice fishing cuts into my hunting time. do you think 111,000 doe tags is enough in 5c. ??? i usually only buy 1 tag for each of 3 areas that i hunt. would like to shoot one with my in line muzzleloader. never shot one with it yet. good luck and hope to be on the ice soon.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:33 AM »
What the crap, been a member for years. I can talk hunting on ICE SHANTY but I can't read ice fishing info. So is this a way for the people who don't share to keep more info???!!!???
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:40 AM »
By the way, most folks would have posted more last year if there would have been ice!!!
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline knucklehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:04 AM »
Hope to have some ice info soon Charlie. Temps are starting to dip this week. Hope it just isn't a teaser. SE PA had no ice last year, at least my way. Guess sharing hunting stories is just a way to forget the frustrations experienced last year! Happy and Safe New Year to all(and some ice!).

Offline JustTheTip?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Killed a bear, 8pt and doe in PA this year...hopin' to connect on the triple trophy w/ a longbeard this spring.  Things definitely aren't the same as they were years ago with the deer hunting, but they can still be found in spots. (public too)  With spots to hunt now in VA and MD....I'm focusing more and more time there.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire."

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:23 PM »
You know Chris I agree with you on the Doe kill. But one thing to remember is "The State" is just the enabler. They are the drug pusher. If no one shot the does or used common sense there would be lots of deer. But when your only goal is "To kill a deer" who cares. Kind of like the guys who keep 3 inch gills cause they are legal. Yea you can but don't expect to catch a big one there in a few years either. Most people don't think of the fact that when they shoot the Mamma deer they just killed 3 deer you won't see next year and at least one buck the following if only one of her fawns was a buck and 2 more the next from the fawn.

So one doe = 3 less deer next year, at @ 6 in two years. Now think of what happens when you shoot her and her two fawns? Or shoot 2-3 a year?

Funny thing is I know alot of people who shoot them and then give the meat away???? Then complain they are not seeing deer? I read an article by a guy here in PA talking about how him and his wife only saw 4 deer in a week. They shot 1 buck and 2 does.......Hmm guess how many you won't see next year????

So the problem is the Hunter not the State... Just say NO to pulling the trigger if you don't like not seeing deer. If you just want to fill a tag and don't care.....That is your right too. ??? ???

Not saying anyone is wrong or right. If you don't want the doe shot. Post the land NO DOE HUNTING...... I know I dont shoot them cause I dont want too. 

Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:41 PM »
well said art. If we as the buyer of tags ate them for one year the state would increase its heard by 1/3 and I know I have the degree. But too many will harvest more than they need like you said and give it away. Hunting is a way of life and a manegment tool take what you  need and leave stock. just like any other resource.  "IF YOU DONT SHOOT THEY WILL COME BACK"

Offline 4Z ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Had a great season this year saw 8 different bucks during bow season and could't get the job done till rifle.This is one of the bucks on the hit list 4 years old have cam pics at 3 YO and 4 YO.Passed him last year when he was a basket 7.

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 30, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Good point. I moved her from KS now a little over a year ago. (I got transfered here) I can't wait to go back!! LOL There they have 1/10th the hunters and 100X the land for the deer. No joke my county has 8,000 total population in it. People shoot one doe a year maybe. The herd is healthy and my last day deer hunting I saw 15 deer and 9 were bucks and all were bigger than any deer I have seen in PA. I have a 172 inch BC on the wall and he is broken up. If not broken would be @ 192 BC. I passed 3 bucks that day all in the 140 class before I shot him. Guess what on public land too.

Now there are more hunters here and more no tresspassing signs than I have ever seen in my life and people are less likely to let  you hunt then any where I have ever seen in my life. They act like "What if he shoots my deer" rather than acting like it is a sport and something to share and make friends over. I can tell you my family in KS and MO has K's of acres and I told them all if a PA resident stops to ask to hunt tell them "No cause out relative out there asked and you all tell him no!" and slam the door. (I don't think any of us told any one no before meeting "Easterners" LOL

Oh well that is my rant on PA and how easy it is to get them to recipricate hunting rights when asked. LOL ;D
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline jiggly McWiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:24 PM »
between archery and rifle i saw 7 lousy deer.  the poaching near my house is unbelievable.  30+ shots fired the evening before archery and again the evening before rifle.  just rediculous!!  the poconos is  shot out. yeah there are big bucks but few and far between.  its getting hard to even kill one.

compliments of ..... the world famous traveling  jiggly McWiggler ice fishing extravaganza!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:29 PM »
between archery and rifle i saw 7 lousy deer.  the poaching near my house is unbelievable.  30+ shots fired the evening before archery and again the evening before rifle.  just rediculous!!  the poconos is  shot out. yeah there are big bucks but few and far between.  its getting hard to even kill one.

sounds like there should be a something said to the local WCO.  they can put up sting operations in badly poached areas.  they can set up the old robo deer or simply wait the people out. 

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Had a great season this year saw 8 different bucks during bow season and could't get the job done till rifle.This is one of the bucks on the hit list 4 years old have cam pics at 3 YO and 4 YO.Passed him last year when he was a basket 7.

(Image removed from quote.)

Dont yu just love it when you can watch a deer mature.  we get a coupe every year that we have watched get bigger horns every year.  then someone always gets the big one that nobody has ever seen in the area, and of course the big one you are targeting rarely ever gets shot. 

did you have go shed hunting the area where you got pics of that buck to try and get his horns from previous years to see exaclty how big he is getting.  the can tell you alot about the area you are hunting.

Offline 4Z ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Jiggerman shed hunting have done with limited success never seem to find them when looking.They always poke me in the rear though when you go too sit during turkey season in the spring ???.Land is more of a pass through in between food and bedding cover.That is why 6 different trail cams do the work for our gang.Helps when neighbors properties and your own get together and practice good herd management letting 2.5 yo and sometime 3.5 yo bucks walk we also kill does based on cam.footage revealed from Aug. through Oct.
This year every resident doe had 2 fawns good recruitment in our area. Last year was poor with many coyote pics taken Doe were off limits and Dogs were on.This year both were on and 4 guys filled doe tags,no dogs taken.If you want quality deer you must controll the predators.

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:01 PM »
This years buck:

Flintlock doe I shot today:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.