The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike Bait  (Read 1210 times)

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
Pike Bait
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:40 PM »
Is there anywhere around North or South Hero ar anywhere within 45 minutes or so of that area that sells BIG BAIT?!?!?! I need at least 7 inch suckers if not bigger and/or shiners at least 5 or 6 inches, or any kind of big bait!
~Matt~

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike Bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Let me call a friend of mine and Ill get back to you on that....jim s

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:45 PM »
K, Thanks a ton!
~Matt~

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Gators will chew on your $1 to $1.50 ea. monster bait, or they'll chew on perch(free). HMMMM.
 Yes, I do buy bait, but the big stuff is hard to come by and very pricey. You're talking about a critter that happily slams into a chunk of steel that's painted red and white!!!
  I know that some swear by shiners, for others it's suckers. Remember when you were a kid reeling in a perch and a pike crashed it?  Hmmmm... ;)
<br />img

Offline Smada_Evad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish Therfore I am
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Gators will chew on your $1 to $1.50 ea. monster bait, or they'll chew on perch(free). HMMMM.
 Yes, I do buy bait, but the big stuff is hard to come by and very pricey. You're talking about a critter that happily slams into a chunk of steel that's painted red and white!!!
  I know that some swear by shiners, for others it's suckers. Remember when you were a kid reeling in a perch and a pike crashed it?  Hmmmm... ;)

Rodger That!!!!

Tight Lines and Full Buckets

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:19 PM »
I have found that if you do use perch it has worked best for me to cut a few fins off. I got sick of them triping my flags so clip clip. Still wait to hear obout the bait....jim s

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Yea the perch deffinately work, the only problem I have with using them is that since they are a spiney fish, in my oppinion, the pike are more likely to take a different soft finned fish if its available. I'm used to spending 2 to 3 bucks a piece for big suckers down in Massachusetts. Although I'm planning on using smelt sometime, I've just gotta take the time to catch some the day before I go out for the pike.

Know anything about using ciscos on champlain? is it legal? where can I find them through the ice?
~Matt~

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Oh no dont do the smelt the day before you must do it the same day with the new laws. I know it sucks. With the perch hook them in the back by the tail the pike will eat it head first. I have seen them in the bellies before head first....jim s

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I've tried smelt for pike and the Champlain pike don't like em. Go figure...they'll eat stamped steel but not smelt?!?!?! But I've heard that a dead smelt on the bottom works...haven't tried it though.
                      :tipup:
<br />img

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.