The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Champlain Musky  (Read 2423 times)

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
Champlain Musky
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Anyone know anything about champlain muskies? I mainly target pike, but was wondering if anyone had any info. on catching one of these rare trophies.
~Matt~

Offline Smada_Evad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish Therfore I am
Re: Champlain Musky
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Probably Missiquoi bay would be a good place to start, but i have no idea...good luck!

Tight Lines and Full Buckets

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Anyone know anything about champlain muskies? I mainly target pike, but was wondering if anyone had any info. on catching one of these rare trophies.
Hard to find here.  Mouths of large rivers i.e. Otter Creek and as already said, Missisquoi Bay.  These are the only places I've ever heard of 'em in Lake Champlain.  I suppose they could be anywhere, but have always heard these refferred to as their spots.  If they're the fish of a thousand casts, I don't want to know how many holes you'd need to drill :-[ :P :-[ :P :-[ :P :-[ :P

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:53 PM »
HAHAHAH, yea thanks man. If they're anything like tiger muskies then I guess that they'll be in the deeper water next to where the rivers with the shallows are. Anyone know anything about their spawning?
~Matt~

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:56 PM »
"Anglers still, however, occasionally catch one of these highly-prized fish in the lower Missisquoi River or in Lake Champlain. Chris Beebe's Vermont state record 38-pound, 52-inch muskie caught in the lower Missisquoi River in September 2005 is testimony that a few muskies still ply the waters of Lake Champlain."

Check out this site guys:
http://www.outdoorcentral.com/mc/pr/07/06/03a1aa2d.asp
~Matt~

Offline Salmoneye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:38 AM »
Hard to find here.  Mouths of large rivers i.e. Otter Creek

The only one I have ever seen out of Champlain came from in front of Kingsland...I assumed at the time that it was part of the Big Otter population...

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:20 AM »
HAHAHAH, yea thanks man. If they're anything like tiger muskies then I guess that they'll be in the deeper water next to where the rivers with the shallows are. Anyone know anything about their spawning?

They spawn later in the spring then pike.  So more like the May/June time frame.  Thats why they don't open for fishing until the 3rd Sat in June here in NY, not sure about VT.

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:41 AM »
I missed one in August below the falls in Vergennes..... Had it right next to the canoe about 15 pounds! I fish the otter almost exclusively right through Summer and Fall and I that is the only one I have seen so they are rare. 
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:17 AM »
been fishing pike up in the islands for 14 years now, never caught one or seen anyone catch one.  There was one caught in a river up north though, i think it was like 40lbs.  I wouldn't target them...haha talk about disappointment!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Ive caught one on the north side of the sand bar during open water (25") and it wasn't a pickerel or a northern. Ive hears of some being caught up in missi. bay.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.