The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 4172 times)

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I have just one wish! Ill take Panfish!!!
Commercial Fishing
« on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:07 PM »
      Commercial fishing is so good for the sport and the guys in my neck of the woods are
   just the kindest most helpful people you could ever want to fish around. Really I mean it.
     Geewillickers Dad!! :o
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:37 PM »
 Are you talking about breaking the fish and game laws? That I have a problem with, but is that any worse than making money every day using a state resource, and not paying taxes on the income you earned from that resource. I will bet there is a whole lot of that going on as well. Then I have also read more than a few times on here, that some folks are selling the fish they catch if they are wormy. That's just great... I really can't think of a single positive thing that commercial fishing brings to this state. It's not your opinions that are the issue. It's the issue itself!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:43 PM »
Here's what I think could be done to mange the otherwise unmanged Commercial Fishery.

Impose a Commercial Fishing License, regulate or at least keep track of harvest through the fish mongers, set daily quotas for each Commercial Fisher to keep people honest. Register as a Commercial Fisher with the State so income will be tracked and therefore taxable.

If you don't like it, fine, get a job at McDonalds or swing a hammer, wash dishes, etc. If commercial fishers make so much of an impact on populations then it should be regulated just like logging on state or federal land.

With that said I could really care less one way or another if you sell panfish, it not illegal and I think for the most part the panfish populations are pretty good.

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:57 PM »
My apologies to the guys in the green shacks!!
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:07 PM »
I didn't even think about the public health aspect of it. Think that the lakers and walleye accumulate a lot of mercury because of being long lived, slow growing, but are still eating the same fish that are being sold.

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:11 PM »
                Hey Everyone,

This whole thing about Commercial fishing has turned into a big mess. The business doesnt need anymore bad publicity. Basically I am being told to watch my back on the ice for the opinions I have expressed
 about the subject of Commercial fishing.
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:15 AM »
your the same guy asking were people catch there fish at when you see a pic
if i see you posting that SH!T again ill have a nice little thread with your name on the top
BEWARE OF THE FISH PIRATE i dont bring others to someones spot i just sell your fish thanks vermonster

Offline ICE11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:30 AM »
thanks VERMONSTER  for depleting the fish from lake sunrise that my family & I have enjoyed on are PRIVATE lake for over 30yrs

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:55 AM »
This whole thread is rediculous

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:01 AM »
    Yeah I tried to unsubscribe but forgot my Current password
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:19 AM »
            You know I really thought this site was supposed to be fun not about personal attacks.
  I should be able to tell whomever I want about fish I am catching without having to take so much crap.
      I have been honest on here and said that I have commercial fished and still do occasionally.
     I have also said that I apoligize for telling people about other people catching fish.
  To me this whole thing is about a few people trying to protect  and keep to themselves something that belongs to all of us and is definitely better when it gets shared. The more people that go to these places and do well and catch some fish the more people will care about them and try to preserve them. Not ruin them or
  keep them all to themselves. It is going to take all of us working together to ensure the future of this sport
  not everyone divided and pointing fingers. But if it is your job and thats how you pay your bills than it is a
 whole different story. Maybe fishin should just be for fun or sport. What a novel idea!!!
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:23 AM »
So let me get this straight.

Selling fish caught through the ice is illegal? Someone is pubicly admiting to poaching? Then they are defending their continued participation in an illegal enterprise?

I hope I have it accurate.

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:29 AM »
    No selling fish caught through the ice  is not illegal. Its just that I have pissed off a lot of commercial guys
  by telling other people where the fish are biting and posting pictures of my fish not thiers
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline ICE11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2008, 11:50 AM »
if more people practiced catch & release or catch for personal consumption not for profit we could all enjoy the SPROT for years to come my intention is not to OFFEND ANYONE !     I APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE I MAY HAVE OFFEND  lake sunrise summer home

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Vermonster, MOST people that use this site do so to help others. If I know where there is a good place to fish, and somebody asks, I will tell them where it is, what to use, and when to be there. The reason you are getting those reactions from the commercial guys is they are a bunch of greedy people, who feel you are interfering with their ability to pilfer the states resources for money. That whole scene would change if the state started keeping tabs on the guys that buy the fish from these guys. If they had to report the income they made from this, a lot less people would do it. They are not the only ones that hammer the resources. How about the bars that hold the so called derbys. They are the ones that prosper while the resource we enjoy is destroyed. They have come up with a new idea of a catch and release derby.....ya right. The people that fish in these derbys keep almost every fish they pull through the ice. They bring them to the bar for the awards banquest fish fry. This makes the guys that fish in these derbys fish both days and keep everything. Without the derby they would probably only fish one day, and release a lot of those nasty lake trout that the keep for the fish fry. Show you what a bunch of jerks these commercial guys are if they are giving you a hard time about posting some pictures or giving a little advice. Not the type of folks I would chose to be around, or defend their actions. Just my opinion......

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:40 PM »
I think you all could relax a little bit.  You need to remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, thats what makes us indivuals.   If you don't agree thats fine, it's not ok to put other people down or attack them.  I'm a school teacher and I deal with this type of s**t all day.  Be respectful and cherrish the sport, don't make it more of a burden to enjoy something by always complaining.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:43 PM »
    Thanks FishandBeer,

I never wanted to hurt anybody just help people and the sport. You sound like a decent person.
    Thanks again.
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:01 PM »
   What is the lbs per acre of a lake like sunrise maybe 20lbs of fish per acre. So if I go there and take 200lbs of fish in a weeks time I have just depleted the lake down to 13 lbs per acre and I am only one person.
   This is just an example of a 30 acre lake. I have not taken more than 50 fish from sunrise in my whole life.And if I take all the big ones that 13 lbs per acre could be small juvenile fish. How long does it take to recover?
    I am not a scientist but as i have gotten older I have started to think about what impact I have on the world and people around me.
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:09 PM »
you know vermonster I think what has really pissed people off is the fact that you made the post awhile back saying that you were making $300 to $500 a week selling fish. I have sold fish in the past and not afraid to say so but if you max out on a pond and sell them I think the most I have made in one day is like $12. Now to get 300 to 500 and tell people about it then one of 2 things. Your overfishing the ponds or you just make many trips to the lake everyday. I don't care how much you fish or were you fish I m just saying when you come out with a statement like that people will wonder....jim s

Offline VERMONSTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:08 PM »
   You are right the only time I made that much it took a whole week and I was fishing on Champlain where there are no limits on bluegills,perch or many other species. You can make that much but definitely would not want to do it  on a smaller lake because it would kill it in a short time. Thats just my opinion. And to make that much you have to fish a lot at least I did. 100 lbs of bluegills and sunnies are only worth 65.00. And 25 large crappies
 are worth about 35.00 bucks. But yellow perch is where you can go absolutely crazy. No limit at 1.25 lb
 on Champlain only. I heard guys catching 3to5,   five gallon buckets a day. A five gallon bucket holds about
 33 lbs of fish. If I fished that much I would be divorced and have no friends. I will take a few now and then
 to sell as long as its legal. And then again maybe I wont. You are right though Jim I shouldnt have made it sound like I was doing it all the time, because I am not. Thanks  you are the first person to put it like that.
   I am not afraid to admit that it gets tempting when your on a big school of big crappies to take more than your limit. I just believe if there wasnt money involved the temptation would not be so great!
   And I am only talking about me not anyone else. Most days it barely covers the cost of gas and bait.
  For what you get out of it . Its not worth losing your license over or being humiliated in front of your peers.
I do believe too that Commercial Fishing can help certain fisheries if done responsibly. But that is for the biologist to figure out not me!
LCCC
Panfish Patrol!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:14 PM »
There is nothing wrong with selling enough to pay for gas and bait. Then eat the rest!

Offline habaneromoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:28 PM »

sell em ? hell i wish i could catch em. lol 

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:11 PM »

sell em ? hell i wish i could catch em. lol 

HAHA! Ya that could be a problem

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2008, 07:52 PM »
thanks VERMONSTER  for depleting the fish from lake sunrise that my family & I have enjoyed on are PRIVATE lake for over 30yrs

How long has Sunrise been a private lake?BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline motorfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rock The Ice !
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:09 PM »
 ???
How long has Sunrise been a private lake?BB
  ???

It's not... According to Vermont state statues all bodies of water are property of the state and it's citizens.

Jus doan stan thar.... DO SUMPIN' !!!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Someone should tell ICE11!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:24 PM »
This reminds me of one time we were fishing for bass out on my boat and a man came out yelling at us tell us to get off his property. well we were in the water on my baot. No one owns the water, You may own the land but not the water so we were not in the wrong and I did find that out for myself.....jim s

Offline vticefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • people think im crazy getting up at 4AM to fish
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:18 PM »
yeah, i thought this site was to help other ice fishermen who want answers, right?  not personal pot shots.  just ask me what i use, and ill tell you.  its not a big secret.  and i thought that fishing and hunting was to preserve the sport and pass it onto others and other generations.  i just guess there's greedy people out there.
get out there and fish...or hunt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.