The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vexilar, Marcum, or Humminbird?  (Read 4960 times)

Offline ICED 0UT

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar, Marcum, or Humminbird?
« on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Would like to get some opinions on flashers. Looking at buying a flasher for this season and was wondering which one to go with.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Vexilar, Marcum, or Humminbird?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:42 PM »
You left out Lowrance -  ;)  They make a decent ice machine.    ;D

Offline eyeaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Slab Stalker 307
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Vexilar is by far the most reliable machine for the money.
Great thing about ice fishing is, if the fish don't bite at least you know the "BEER" will stay cold!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Vexilar is by far the most reliable machine for the money.

:woot:  Marcum, you meant to write.  ;D

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I have never had a single problem with a Vexilar. I love them. I'm sure any of the three will suit you just fine.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I can only speak for Vex cuz that's all I ever used but 5 or 6 years ago I bought a FL-20 PRO PACK and love it.Never had any problems with it
Randy

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:28 PM »
:woot:  Marcum, you meant to write.  ;D

NOPE pretty sure it was the VEX  :tipup:
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:36 PM »
I have a Vexilar fl-8 and that's the only one I've ever had. Mostly because I don't need anything more advance than that for what I fish for and the depts I fish at. Even though I've never had any other brand or model I think all of them out there are good to have and give you the upper hand of fishing opposed to those who don't have one... It's all a matter of how much you want to spend from there....Just my two cents though....

Offline ironshafts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:41 PM »
Ford chevy or dodge

you need somthing to drive I have the marcum lx-9 and the troller all will increase your catch after you learn to use them

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2013, 03:14 PM »
I bought a showdown a couple years ago it worked for two days then it would power up but no screen image I really liked the zoom feature on it and the vertical water column, but I took it back and traded it for a Vex,  all I can say is after a few seasons of use you would not find me on the ice without it
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:25 PM »
I bought a hummingbird that has the flasher or graph, and I like the flasher but use the graph way more, you can see what is happening at the time by the right side of the screen, but you can see if a fish has passed you by even if you are not looking at the screen the whole time.  My icefishing partner went with a Lowrance graph unit and has the vex as well and uses both but is getting more into the graph unit.  Plus I can use it for my bow mount in the summer. 

But the ford, dodge or Chevy is right on, just look at what you are going to use it for and buy the best one that fits your fishing style.  And if you know anyone that has the units go and fish with them and see which one you like the most. 

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:47 PM »
This might come across as smart-assed but it isn't meant that way......There are multiple threads about this exact topic and hundreds if not thousands of opinions on which make and model is the best. Try searching the forum. This old argument has been beat to death.  :)
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline ICED 0UT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like you can't really go wrong with any of them just need to get one and get on the ice and since I've saved all my sportsmans warehouse gift cards for the last year looks like I know where I'm going after work tonight.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I got a showdown.  It had issues out of the box.  Chris at the time @ showdown was extremely helpful and sent me another unit out to replace mine.  It has worked fine since 2010 when I bought it.
Don

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:03 PM »
 I started out with a Color point and moved up to a Marcum lx5. I am totally happy with this machine. Not one issue at all.
 I have seen the lx9 recently, and that will be my next tool. Just waiting to see if there are any issues. I haven't heard of problems with them yet.
 Like 4ever said " Ford - Dodge -Chevy " It's what you get used to, in my opinion.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:17 PM »
I chose a marcum LX-7. Haven't had it out yet, can't wait.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Vexilar hands down regardless of what those NU YORKER guys say  :cookoo: :cookoo:
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:20 PM »
I have a lowrance elite 5 ice machine/GPS and like having the ability to map my fishing area with the boat and then go to them in the winter.
olefish

Offline Benjfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:31 PM »
I had a Vexilar FL-8 SLT for 10 years and used my Dad's Vexilar for a long time before I got mine when he allowed me. Got a Marcum LX-7 last year and wouldn't go back. The Vexilar is a great unit, and wouldn't fish without either. There both quality units and never had any problems with neither of them. But I like all the options and the quietness of the LX-7.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:47 PM »
the noise attracts fish ;)
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline ironshafts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I live in casper if you would like to see my lx-9 or troller let me know . I am going fishing either tomorrow or fri

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I think dodge is the most reliable LOL just throwing more humor
Never to many short poles

Offline nors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I have an lx-5, have had it for two years and it has worked perfectly, no issues.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I think dodge is the most reliable LOL just throwing more humor

DODGE - RELIABLE!? HA!HA! I don't care who you are but that right there is funny ;D

But on a serious note I use a humminbird 788 set up for ice fishing and a showdown.  Wouldn't trade either of them.  I like the Humminbird due to being able to track jigging 'history' and also the gps feature is handy for marking hotspots and getting off the ice after dark (works awesome on large bodies of water such as Ft Peck).  I use the showdown when fishing perch or crappie or lakes under 40' (it's not the dual beam unit).  My 6 year old loves the showdown because as he says, 'it's like playing a video game'.  Very simple to use and understand.  Also, the Humminbird doubles as my bow unit on the boat in the summer making it a dual season finder!  Good luck narrowing it down and Good fishin' - OH

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:57 PM »
I am  sure they all are fine units.  Be sure you check out interference rejection if you fish with other guys using fish finders.  I have an LX-5, and can read the display when other anglers around me are getting too much interference to use their fish finders  ;D

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I love my Humminbird ice 45, although it is the only flasher i have ever owned, I have used a few buddies vex's and I liked tem quite a bit to. Any of the flashers on the market are a huge upgrade and you will have more fun and catch more fish no matter which one you choose
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Wood N Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I started out with a Color point and moved up to a Marcum lx5. I am totally happy with this machine. Not one issue at all.
 I have seen the lx9 recently, and that will be my next tool. Just waiting to see if there are any issues. I haven't heard of problems with them yet.
 Like 4ever said " Ford - Dodge -Chevy " It's what you get used to, in my opinion.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
Color Point.....that brings back the memories ! @) My first also !

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:31 AM »
I have always had a Humminbird (recently the ICE55) but have that listed on Ebay for a couple more days since I'm making a switch over to the Vexilar FLX-28. 

No gripes with the H-Bird.  I actually love it, I just want to try out another brand and thought since I was upgrading might as well try something different and see how it stacks up.  I'm very pumped about the Pro-view ice ducer that the vexilar comes with and also the seperation looks insane on it, very crisp.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I have the Vex FL-8 Genz pack, I think it works great. I've used it everywhere around here and Pathfinder, The Gorge, Nebraska. No complaints, battery life is stellar.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Color Point.....that brings back the memories ! @) My first also !

Yeah, I gave that to my little brother when I got my lx5. He is still using it today. Working as good as it did the day I got it.      :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.