The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Healy Today  (Read 5863 times)

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Healy Today
« on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:40 PM »
There is 8-9 inches of good ice on Healy and we got about 3 inches of snow overnight. I fished today from 930 till 1230and caught and released 54 perch. :icefish: No trout at all ???

The biggest perch was 9.5 inches and the smallest was 5 inches. It did not matter what was on the end of the jig line as they would hit anything  ;D. Red maggots and waxies always worked. I seemed to find the most consistent bigger fish in about 22 ft of water. The fish got smaller as I went deeper. Most of the fish were on average 7-8 inches. Maybe the splake are doing some good in there as I did not catch any of those dinky perch, not saying they are not in there. I just did not not catch any of them..

If I only had one jig to take it would be a gold Swedish pimple with a Hali chain on it instead of the treble hook ;)! Caught fish today on the red dace cubby darter, Swedish pimple and ratso jigs of any color. When fishing at Healy I always use the foam slip bobber and cut it to match my lure weight. This way you will see the slightest of bite :)..

Tight lines!! PF1

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Healy Today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Glad you caught a bunch. Did you keep any for dinner or let them all back to the drink? I have fished it a couple of time this year and gold seems to be a color that they like. I also think that it doesn't matter what you put in front of those hungry little guys they will hit just about anything. My boys have a blast fishing there always lots of action to keep them interested. I am really looking forward to hooking one of those big bass that are in there!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are going to cry be quick about it. Then get back to fishing.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:34 PM »
I know there are some diehard fans of those hali chains.  They are dynamite for perch.  What is the limit on perch at healy?
50 General Daily Creel & Possession Limits on perch.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:39 PM »
maybe this is a place to go on my next days off.  guess I sure could get some action vs's nothing at all.
Don

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:42 PM »
I think the limit is 50? there are lots of perch to eat in this lake start taken them home and quit thinking about those boysen perch you catch!Plus it takes you five minutes to get there with out black ice spin outs ;D

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:32 AM »
If I am going to fillet a perch it better be 12 plus! I just got my order of maggots and waxies over the internet so look out...man they look good!! ;D ;D

PF1

Will shoot for TRR next week.. any takers?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:37 AM »
TRR? 
Don

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:58 AM »
TRR? 
Tongue River Res. If you head to healy its only another 60 miles or so to the tongue in MT. Thats the lake I was telling you about.

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:35 AM »
PF1- I was thinking about heading up to TRR on sat. morning. I've never fished it during hard water so it would be great to meet up with someone who's spent some time on the ice up there! Let me know if you want to meet up. I've got my all my own gear (power auger, shelter, etc.), so no worries about baby-sitting.

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:14 AM »
I am on weekends this month so cant go over the weekend.. kinda sucks!! But the flip side is I can go during the week when there is no pressure!! Would be willing to give it a go in January tho as I switch back to weekends off then. Would be willing to try next Tues. or Wed. or Thurs. if anyone was willing or had it off.

PF1

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Being able to hunt and fish during the week would be a definite upside to not getting weekends off. You pretty much get everything to yourself. I probably can't make it during the week next week but lets try it in Jan. Any tips on where to try up there this weekend? I was thinking about trying in that flooded timber on the south end for crappies?

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:01 AM »
That would be were I would go for sure.. keep us posted on how you do!

PF1

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Would be willing to try next Tues. or Wed. or Thurs. if anyone was willing or had it off.

I know for sure I am headed that way one of those days. 
Don

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:48 PM »
My father and i hit Healy this afternoon from 2 till Dark. Between the 2 of us we pulled over 125 Perch, average of 7, big 9.5.
my Father caught 2- 12" Fat Rainbows and a 12" Largemouth
Depth anywhere from 10-23 ft.
Ice is 8-10"

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Nice work..glad to see you could get out for a while! What was the lure of choice today?

Dont forget I got extra bait  ;)

PF1

Offline WORM01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Wow I am from Ucross and have not fished Healy since I was in high school maybe I will have to check it out again

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Lure of Choice was the Ol Gold Pimple tipped with a waxy.
Non stop action with the palm rod, love the Tungsten jigs, that stuff just rockets to the bottom.
I think that my Dad was using Orange and Chartruse Pimples

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:32 PM »
nice posts guys! this stuff is contagious. going up to the man room to look at the map.

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Can any of you guys confirm the game and fish dpt. plan to stock the supposed 5000 tiger musky there?
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:47 PM »
I highly doubt they would stock those in that small of a lake, They would eat everything up in that small spot.
Don

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:51 AM »
About two years ago the G&F tried to get Tiger Musky from I believe Nebraska. The Musky had something wrong with them that would not allow them in the state. Big Bummer. They have placed Walleye in Healy that have been seined from Desmet. Bass have also made there way into Healy and last year they stocked Splake.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:13 AM »
About two years ago the G&F tried to get Tiger Musky from I believe Nebraska. The Musky had something wrong with them that would not allow them in the state. Big Bummer. They have placed Walleye in Healy that have been seined from Desmet. Bass have also made there way into Healy and last year they stocked Splake.

I just checked the Nebraska stocking reports (we can do that in Nebraska), and find that the last tigers stocked were in 2003.  Since then I find only pure muskies.  Tigers were regularly stocked in Oliver Reservoir near Bushnell, Nebraska (about 40 miles east of Cheyenne, WY) for years, now only pure muskies are stocked.  I don't know what happened, but it looks like the tiger muskie program was discontinued around 2004.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:26 AM »
According to their newsletter, the plan was to place 5k tiget musky there along with the 'eyes. Cannot confirm one way or another but here is the link to the newsletter. Scroll to page 3, just after the section on Keyhole.

http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/Sheridan/SN_Newsletter_2010.pdf

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Gambooler thats where i got the info this spring. Was wondering if they ever went through with that plan.
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I know the Utah side of the Flaming Gorge planned on putting Tiger something in....maybe it was tiger trout (???) to try and control the ling. Either one of those would be cool in the Gorge i think if they could learn to target the ling (how you gonna teach a fish what to eat)...Not trying to hijack the post just saying how much talk is spread around and how nothing every really happens lol.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Please don't say that lol.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline mountainman307

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fry
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:31 PM »
It's a little 250 acre reservoir four miles north of Buffalo on hwy 16 headed to Ucross. Exit 58 off I90. Great for small to med perch  :tipup: You can fill your limit in no time on perch. Pulled out a few 10 to 11in trout last week. no eyes tho ???. I got Warren Mischke with the (GAF) Game And Fish as my next door neighbor. Ill have to ask him about the 5,000 tiger muskie and eyes. This link (   http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Fish/Newsletters/Sheridan/SN_Newsletter_2010.pdf  ) "They said they put in 19 eyes" "We will transplant more walleye in 2010 in hopes that in a year or two, walleye will be self-sustaining." Ill get back to you guy soon on this! Most likely tomorrow if I see him..
The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world!
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((º>                    
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((((º>   
.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((((((º>

Offline BIG WEST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:45 PM »
great news on healy. nice to hear tha someone is catching perch bigger than 3 inches. im finally going out there this coming friday cant wait. going to try an early start got a place and certain depth to get into the trout. some perch of good size would also be a rewarding treat. anyone heading out this friday let me know. im possibally going with a buddy but the more fishing minds together may help with better fishing

Offline mountainman307

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fry
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I am going to hit it tomorrow around 2ish maybe. Ill be down there for sure Friday around 11. Be in a black ice cube hut. Driven a red flatbed dodge. Come on over and say hi.
The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world!
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((º>                    
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((((º>   
.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.