Author Topic: Best anchoring ideas for big otter flip overs  (Read 4091 times)

Offline alanderson

• IceShanty Rookie
Best anchoring ideas for big otter flip overs
« on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Has anyone came up with a slick way to mount anchors to the bigger resorts or lodges? Was wanting to do something permanent that stays on the sled,i can just flip over the side to anchor. I normally use a cordless impact with 6" x 3/8" concrete anchors to the ice.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Best anchoring ideas for big otter flip overs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:38 AM »
i just use my drill/auger to hold mine. make a partial hole and leave the auger in the hole and toss the rope over it and onto the ice.

on bare ice i drill my holes and push the shavings to where my shanty will be to make a bed for it to help it stay also.

some use a chunk of pvc and make ice anchors that go into a hole. it would look like a T. the top is the pvc and the the rope goes into a hole in that pvc. you have to add another rope to one end ot the top of the T to be able to get it back out.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Eye bolts ...carabineers with a length of chain ...Eskimo style anchors 

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Lets see if I can explain this clearly.  First, you need two eye bolts on the back of your sled/shack to attach ropes to.  Then, cut a 2' piece of 1 x 2 or 1" PVC.  Drill a hole in the direct center of it and another hole just in from one end.  From the center hole, run a piece of rope through and knot the end.  Leave about 5' of rope and tie a carabiner on the other end.  Then, from the end hold, run the rope the though, knot it, then leave about 7' of rope.  Tie that rope to the carabiner as well. 

Attach the carabiner to the eye bolt.  Drill two holes behind the shack.  Drop the anchor into the hole on slack rope.  Tighten up the tension and the anchor flips flat against the bottom of the ice and is a rock solid anchor.  Slide the shack to tighten up the tension, drill your fishing holes, and you are anchored for a hurricane.  To remove, just loosen the ropes and let the anchor off the bottom of the ice.  Pull up on the longer rope and the anchor snakes up the hole.  Really simple and reliable.  Just wrap the rope around the anchor and throw in the sled.  I have been using this setup for years and it is by far the best I have used. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Lets see if I can explain this clearly.  First, you need two eye bolts on the back of your sled/shack to attach ropes to.  Then, cut a 2' piece of 1 x 2 or 1" PVC.  Drill a hole in the direct center of it and another hole just in from one end.  From the center hole, run a piece of rope through and knot the end.  Leave about 5' of rope and tie a carabiner on the other end.  Then, from the end hold, run the rope the though, knot it, then leave about 7' of rope.  Tie that rope to the carabiner as well. 

Attach the carabiner to the eye bolt.  Drill two holes behind the shack.  Drop the anchor into the hole on slack rope.  Tighten up the tension and the anchor flips flat against the bottom of the ice and is a rock solid anchor.  Slide the shack to tighten up the tension, drill your fishing holes, and you are anchored for a hurricane.  To remove, just loosen the ropes and let the anchor off the bottom of the ice.  Pull up on the longer rope and the anchor snakes up the hole.  Really simple and reliable.  Just wrap the rope around the anchor and throw in the sled.  I have been using this setup for years and it is by far the best I have used.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15331.0

My buddy made two out of some 1" pipe ...used it on my Clam 6800 ...works well...bulky and some times a pain to get out of the ice on a really cold day ...cussing was involved a time or two .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Yes, really cold days can cause an issue here and there.  I have found covering the hole and rope with as much snow as possible eliminates most frustration.  If it freezes to the ice it becomes a PITA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.