Author Topic: Headed to Burbot Bash for the first time, any tips?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline BroncoFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Headed to Burbot Bash for the first time, any tips?
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Hello Guys,

I am headed to the Burbot Bash this year, and I have never been or fished for ling. Can you share any tips in jigs, baits, places to fish on the Wyoming side, or anything other useful?

I appreciate the help, hopefully it turns out to be a good weekend to be on the ice!

Cheers,

Jake

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
Re: Headed to Burbot Bash for the first time, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:15 PM »
the first year we did the bash we fished by buck board and did ok but this year we might be lower cuz of the ice is lower use anything that glows with a lot of bait like sucker meat good luck to ya and don't let the drinks freeze

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Fish shallow banks 10-20fow that boarder deeper water preferrably right off the old river channel. Points work too. Like fishon said any bait will work sucker, chub, carp or shiners. Glow jigs, tubes, buckshots, pks all work well fished just off the bottom far enough that the crawdads wont get to it and giving it some jigging action every once in awhile wont hurt either. Another must have is a tent and a good heater. We use the buddy heaters as they are safer for indoor but any will work just as long as you have sufficient ventilation to provide fresh air. If your not catching atleast some fish i would suggest moving and at night this can be a task in its self if moving far. These fish roam and feed so if you get some in an area more should follow as they come in spirts. Good luck to you and tight lines
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Dont forget bells to put on each pole either, we also like to use the mini glow lites on the tips too. Sometimes the bell wont ring but theres no mistaken a green lite bouncing
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:34 PM »
If you poke around the back pages on the Wyoming board like the week before last years event, or better yet the year before if it is available, a lot of information was bantered around on tips. My tips are:  bring as little gear as possible so if you have to move some your not over loaded or tripping over your gear, and................... ..bring a basket full of flashlights.  Oops, and a UV flashlight, worth their weight in ling.
Thread killer

Offline BroncoFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Sweet, thanks guys. I think I am all set. I think we are headed to the south end of the lake (since thats the only ice right now) any body use snowmobiles during the bash, or is the ice a little bit too risky?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I hope you mean the north end cause theres alot of open water south. I have heard from a good source that there is snow on the ice above the confluence. Below its pretty slick stuff. Check out the pics from our trip this last weekend, lots of ice not much snow. We did see 3 sleds out there and they seemed to be getting around just fine. They may have had ice cleets. Just dont burn up your hyfax if you bring it. 4 wheeler might be a better option, Just stay clear of the pressure ridges on either as they tend to swollow machines regularly.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BroncoFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:24 PM »
Ah, we were planning on starting at Buck Board and moving north as needed, but someone found a report that Buck Board north was all open water. When you say you guys fished off of road 8 that is the one right by Buck Board right?

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Offline FGRfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Road 008 goes down the point that seperates Buckboard and South Buckboard bays.  Buckboard is frozen, and ice extends several miles downlake even into Utah.  There's some open water pockets near Anvil Draw though and take precautions around or crossing the pressure ridges.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:06 PM »
take precautions around or crossing the pressure ridges.

X2 This cannot be stressed enough, be careful everyone
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.