Author Topic: weirdest fish.(post pic)  (Read 49020 times)

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
Re: weirdest fish.(post pic)
« Reply #90 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Also, it is weird when you catch a tiny fish, and realize it is like a 2 inch bass
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #91 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Like this dink.

Offline ice_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PROUD MEMBER OF THE F.O.E.O.A.
« Reply #92 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Would you believe a Burbot caught in Cold Lake Alberta???

(Image removed from quote.)

hey GCD, i hate to say this, but that isnt a burbot............that looks more like a channel catfish....burb's have a dorsal find that extends to within an inch or two of the tail, that fishes dorsal fin is very short, and i would bet a dollar to a dozen doughnut, it had a sharp spine in it as well, like all catfishes have.........

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #93 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:28 AM »
I think he was being sarcastic about the burbot

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #94 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:29 PM »
hey GCD, i hate to say this, but that isnt a burbot............that looks more like a channel catfish....burb's have a dorsal find that extends to within an inch or two of the tail, that fishes dorsal fin is very short, and i would bet a dollar to a dozen doughnut, it had a sharp spine in it as well, like all catfishes have.........

I was just kidding. It's actually a Blue Catfish.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #95 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Haha

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:24 PM »
I would have to of thrown that one back. Someone went through a lot of effort to surgically implant that device for research.
If you read my other thread on this tagged fish you will find out that where I live in Southcentral Alaska Pike are an invasive species. That means they are trying to get rid of them.
They are native to Interior Alaska but not Southcentral and the fear is they could destroy our salmon fisheries.
It is also illegal to release pike here because of it.
I believe they use these tracking tags to help determine where these fish are hanging out before they set the nets.
This fish was tagged in 2009 according to the tag so I am not even sure the lithium battery had enough power left to send a signal anyway.
Now that I think about it I did release this fish. Into a hot pan of oil after a nice bath in milk/egg mixture and a roll in seasoned cornmeal.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #97 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:33 PM »
That's cool

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:20 PM »
What a cool looking fish, wish they had some of those in VT

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:37 PM »
If you read my other thread on this tagged fish you will find out that where I live in Southcentral Alaska Pike are an invasive species. That means they are trying to get rid of them.
They are native to Interior Alaska but not Southcentral and the fear is they could destroy our salmon fisheries.
It is also illegal to release pike here because of it.
I believe they use these tracking tags to help determine where these fish are hanging out before they set the nets.
This fish was tagged in 2009 according to the tag so I am not even sure the lithium battery had enough power left to send a signal anyway.
Now that I think about it I did release this fish. Into a hot pan of oil after a nice bath in milk/egg mixture and a roll in seasoned cornmeal.
Thanks for explaining. You can't know everything everywhere. There arent any natural lakes in my area so everything is an invasive species. Yet the department of natural resources dosen't want certain species in certain waters. What difference does it really make for my area. Just saying.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:42 PM »

Lake Champlain Bowfin

Tiger Trout all grown up.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #101 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Wow did you catch those? Both are bizarre. that trout actually looks like a splake, and a big one at that. Off fish

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #102 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Lake Champlain Bowfin

Tiger Trout all grown up.

I've never seen a Bowfin with blue/green fins like that before :o ... Could that be from the lake Champlain toxicity levels? ???

That adult Tiger trout looks a lot like a Laker to me.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:55 PM »
The bowfin I caught last year in May, it is a male in spawning colorations, they can be yellow, green, blue/green.

The tiger is one of my babies, we used to have others that had the classic tiger stripes.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #104 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Oh. You raise fish. That tiger is pretty different from most. The one I caught had the stripes

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #105 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Who put the food coloring in the bowfin water?  ;)2

Togue markings and square (Brookie) tail = Splake. Doesn't look like a tiger at all.

But weirder things have happened.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #106 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:01 PM »
That is what I thought. He says he raised it though. Either that is the odd grape  of the group or he is unsure about what a tiger is

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:15 AM »
It's all tiger, female brown crossed with a male brookie during our summer spawning of both species. Very few survive since I haven't tried to heat shock or pressure shock the eggs, although I have the technology. I had seen one "wild" tiger come out of the Mettawee River in Vermont, but that may have been a stocked fish from the NY side.

I think the patterns are unique on this fish which is why I posted it. Most of the other tiger pictures I see with the strong lines on their bodies look like males even though they are sterile. I wonder if my fish might be what a female looks like.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #108 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Well, if you wouldn't mind, could you put a few of those beasts in whites pond in concord, ma. They will likely survive as it is a deep kettle pond. There us quite a few little sunfish and smelt for them to feed on. He would feel right at home with the other ten pound rainbows and browns.
It appears as if the augers can take the appearance and coloraion of the brown, except for the warlike markings of the brookie, or can look nothing like either, as the classic tiger does

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #109 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:52 PM »
The bowfin I caught last year in May, it is a male in spawning colorations, they can be yellow, green, blue/green.

The tiger is one of my babies, we used to have others that had the classic tiger stripes.

that tiger must of got most of its looks from its DAD.  Looks more like a very large brookie. 

we had our first successful tiger hatch this winter.  well see how it goes with them.  how long will it take them to get that large.  could they get there in 3 years.     

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:07 PM »
the bowfing get those colers from algea when they lay in the shallows and spawn

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #111 on: Feb 25, 2011, 04:08 PM »
That seems plausible

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #112 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:16 AM »
I've never seen a Bowfin with blue/green fins like that before :o ... Could that be from the lake Champlain toxicity levels? ???

Toxicity? Really? Since when do toxins cause greenish colouration? Usually fish colouration/variations have to do with many different factors such as genetics, habitat, and diet. Just about every fish has chromatophores, meaning they have the ability to change colors to match there surroundings. The toxins in Lake Champlain aren't much different than any other body of water in the US. If the levels were really high such as the lower Hudson, it would be strictly catch and release.

That adult "tiger" does look like a splake ...

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #113 on: Feb 26, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Yea, definitely not dye to toxicity

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:29 PM »
we had our first successful tiger hatch this winter.  well see how it goes with them.  how long will it take them to get that large.  could they get there in 3 years.     

Probably not, but it depends on rearing conditions. I think this fish is around 10 lbs and is probably over 5 years old. Our Rome strain browns and brookies are probably about 3 to 4 lbs in 3 years, the brookies usually start dieing off around 4 years, but the browns can get this big given a few more years.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:34 PM »

on the mississippi, i've caught ones that were blue where that one is green.  its wierd.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:35 PM »
could you put a few of those beasts in whites pond in concord, ma. They will likely survive as it is a deep kettle pond. There us quite a few little sunfish and smelt for them to feed on. He would feel right at home with the other ten pound rainbows and browns.

I know that pond and heard stories of it when a was a teen in the '80's. They used to stock Ashland and Hopkington Res with big broodstock brookies back in the day.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #117 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:39 PM »
What do you do with the fish you bred?

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #118 on: Feb 26, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Going to the brook where i caught the tiger tomorrow. I will tell you if i catch him or any thing else.

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #119 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Sculpin...caught it out of a local lake last year. Buddy of mine caught one this year in same lake.

That look like some that I have caught in salt water... Intresting you caught it in fresh a water lake... correct??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.