Author Topic: Lake Erie ice rescue  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Hawg Harness

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Erie ice rescue
« on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Ice broke off this morning at Western basin (Catawba Island). Stranding dozens of ice fishermen on a ice flow. All were safely rescued by the Coast Guard. But they had to abandon their gear.

Offline mediummac

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Erie ice rescue
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:26 PM »
living here in colorado what happens to there gear?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:28 PM »

Smart guys with boats go out and get it-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:35 PM »
It seems as if this happens often there going back for years.....be safe everyone!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:41 PM »

If the conditions allow, a good samaritan will go out in an airboat and collect it. There used to be some videos on youtube of two guys doing that. If not... well, what floats will be picked up in a few weeks.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:07 AM »
Once it is abandoned on the Great Lakes I was told it can be salvaged.  Locals wait for the ice to seal up or re-freeze and then they go and get it.  I was recused by the Coast Guard down in Sandusky OH many years ago and we had to leave the gear and machines behind.   Fortunately there was one area where the ice was only opened 8 feet out 1/2 mile but the coast Guard took us all off any how.  Some of the fishermen were local guys and they went to the lumber yard and brought back (4) 2 X 12's X 16' and we went back out and laid them over the narrowest area and hand crossed everything even all the machines.  Coast Guard did not like that and said if they had to come out and get us again, it would cost us a heavy fine.   Thanks to the local fishermen we out of state guys got all our gear back.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:18 AM »
they were shocked that all of a sudden it got realbreazy and the ice broke off.       even though the wind was forecasted   :thumbsup: :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.