Author Topic: Handheld GPS  (Read 1024 times)

Offline lunkerlooker

• IceShanty Rookie
Handheld GPS
« on: Dec 23, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Anybody have a handheld gps unit they use for ice fishing to pinpoint your fishing hotspot? If so I'd like to see what everyone is using and why you like it. I've been using 300 paces northeast of the boat ramp for too long.
You shoulda been here yesterday!

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Handheld GPS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 AM »
I use the navionics app on my phone works good for me untell my phone dies lol

Offline swoab47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I use an old Lowrance H2O.  It is like carrying a brick in your pocket but it still works.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I use a Garvin Legend HCx to pinpoint my so called hotspots. It is very easy to use and fits in my shirt pocket also it is very inexpensive to buy ;D

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Navionics app is THE way to go, unless you come around northeast nebraska where cell phones don't work. If you fish in areas where your cell phone works it is fabulous, plus it's only like $10.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Just got navionics on my phone, buddy that fishes tourneys in summer was playing with it and says its very precise!!

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Navionics works without service as far as i know, turn on gps on your phone for gps tracking on the app.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Navionics works without service as far as i know, turn on gps on your phone for gps tracking on the app.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll Have to give that a try. Nobody has ever claimed me to be the most technological guy :)

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:58 PM »
I use a garmin montana 650T. It works similar to a smart phone. Touch screen etc.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:12 PM »
However do remember with gps turned on that the CIA know exactly what your doing and may or may not disclose your location to your significant other hahaha.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:23 PM »
use the Garmin venture hcx bundle with a Garmin lake disk i bought separately it not the greatest i bought it a number of year ago on clearance  but it does the feet down to one foot increments on some of the lakes i fish it goes to 5 foot increments . any ways do some searching of the manufactures web sites they got the info needed for what lakes that  are covered.  i know i made a few post on here about it and left a link i am sure searching the forum too you will find some more info reason i say this is  some lake are not covered like the fow line markers all they are is a out line of the lake which is a pain in the butt so like navonics versus Garmin etc check their soft ware out! they list all the info on there manufactures web  sites...  if your still having trouble finding info etc.. etc...  let me know i will re-post it no problems reason i don't mind is some guys have cell phone and it a pain in the arse to search.... 

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:16 AM »
However do remember with gps turned on that the CIA know exactly what your doing and may or may not disclose your location to your significant other hahaha.

Again, thanks for the heads up! Lol

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:53 PM »
  I started using a Lowrance Endura Safari so I could use the high detail map chips from my boat electronics.  I'm still fine tuning a few things but so far works pretty good.  Merritt in 1 foot increments can get you right on the places you want to fish.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:49 PM »
My ice machine has gps built in... Come spring it goes in the boat.  For the price you can't beat it.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:52 PM »
E-trex are cheap and work great.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:02 PM »
I just  got the Garmin eTrex 20 ...going to put it through the its paces this ice season ...I like that you can add custom maps . I don't have the map chip ...not much info on it good or bad as far accuracy .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.