Author Topic: 800 gram boots?  (Read 4397 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
800 gram boots?
« on: Sep 16, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Hey guys I'm soon investing in new boots. I'll be using them for multiple things including ice fishing, hunting, and winter work around the house. The biggest contender are the Irish setter rut master 2.0. I'm thinking of the 800 gram thinsolite. My question would be; 800 enough to keep my feet warm? Or just right?

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 800 gram boots?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Depends on how cold and how much you move. I personally would get at least 1600 for knee highs. I use cabelas trans Alaskans. They are warm and comfortable. Never had cold feet.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2016, 04:35 PM »
It's different for each individual  person. I have a different pair of boots for each of those.. My old feet couldn't last to long in 800's sitting on ice. But around the house or still hunting they would be good.. JMO..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2016, 04:47 PM »
I also fall into "the right boot for the right job" group.  There are precious few boots that will keep you happy on the ice and not be too heavy and cumbersome for hunting.  What's your size and I'll try to find you a great deal on ice boots.  You can concentrate on what you want for hunting.  There are some awesome deals on some top tier ice boots right now, but they're heavily dependent on size.  Lemme know if you want my help.  Size? 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2016, 12:49 PM »
...My question would be; 800 enough to keep my feet warm? Or just right?

Pretty much this will be based off of your personal preference and tolerance to colder temps. I've been on the ice with guys who were ready to leave because it was "too cold". Or they were cold and I had to set up a Mr Heater. Another variable is the difference between sitting and fishing, and actively walking and moving while hunting or doing outside chores.

I doubt any one boot can cover all variables 100%. Perhaps a better choice for comfort would be two pair, a light and medium or medium and heavy depending upon your needs?

wyoutdoors

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2016, 01:36 PM »
Another consideration is blood circulation. I have poor circulation and find it hard to keep my feet warm! Helped no doubt to freezing my feet several times when younger up in Minnesnota!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:29 PM »
I have 2000 gram boots.  LaCross brand.  very nice, very warm.  rarely will I feel my toes getting cold.  Only one pair of normal socks too.

Offline SDFishnFriendly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2016, 01:09 PM »
I have Irish Setters, I believe they are the Havok, I'll have to look.  I know they are 800g and I love them.  I move around a lot and my feet never get cold when I move.  I did sit on the ice by a hole for quite a while in about -10 and my feet did start to get a little cold.  I agree with the rest of the guys here, not every boot will do every job well. I happen to like my Setters for my style of outdoor activity.  I also can't stand if my feet start to sweat, so these were a great option for me. 

Offline SDFishnFriendly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2016, 01:13 PM »
Just checked, mine are the Ridge Toppers (not the Havok).  Love the boots, would buy another pair in a heartbeat.   

Offline johnsonaaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2016, 02:11 PM »
in my limited experience i've noticed that wearing ice spikes really helps keep my feet warm due to the drastic reduction in surface area contacting the ice. i'd assume that everyone on this page uses them, but if you havent, - you may be able to get away with lighter insulated boots and a good pair of socks when you're on the ice and switch to normal socks for everything else.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:11 AM »
I bought a pair of NEOS overshoes last season and let me just say :o :o  :o

A pair of tennis shoes under them is good enough for most conditions, if you put insulated boots under them I'd bet you could take some pretty nasty stuff. Just my opinion but like others had said, it's really an individual needs thing. Good luck!

Offline jhunt8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I have a pair of rutmasters, they are great boots, definitely worth it to keep your feet warm. 800`s would be enough to keep warm just make sure you have good moisture wicking socks.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2016, 06:38 PM »
It seems the best boot for comfortable long days of ice fishing is not a good boot for anything else.. When I walk out 2 miles on Erie I wear my non insulated hiking boots, then switch to the Sorels when I get there.

My old Sorels are so big it's hard to drive with them lol..

<°)))>{

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I have a pair of knee high 800's and when I first got them I found out right away that on the ice they weren't going to cut it. I purchased a pair of Hot Foot insoles for them and it helped a little but for on ice I would go higher to at least 1200. My 800's are fine in my boat in 30-40 degree temps but on the ice I stick to my Baffins. There's just not enough insulation under there to fight against that cold unless your constantly walking. Just my 2 cents  Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline I-Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:30 PM »
I'm a muck arctic pro fan. Just wore them in on a mile walk to archery hunt yesterday and will sit all day on the ice with them. Comfortable, not as heavy as a pack boot, and completely waterproof. Tip-put them on right before you get out of vehicle so your feet don't sweat.

Offline beige39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:15 PM »
I have a pair of cabela's inferno 2000's and if i sit long enough deer hunting no matter what my feet get cold and they ate miserable to do much walking in

Offline P03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I have a pair of sorel glacier xt that make my feet sweat if it's 20 above and I'm walking. Perfect for sitting on the ice though

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:03 PM »
I have a pair of Muck Arctic Pros and I love them. I can sit for a couple of hours before the cold is felt. I've tried several boots and no matter what, it seems unless I get up and move every once in a while to get the blood flowing my feet will get cold. Biggest thing I've learned since getting back into ice fishing is never wear tight boots. Worst thing you can do. Keep them a little loose and it helps a ton.

Offline maddograd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:52 PM »
I use 1200 rockies for hunting and fishing.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:52 AM »
Got a pair of NEOS last year wear with tennis light weight and easy to get on for fat guy, Best ice fishing foot wear I have ever owned.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:25 AM »
If you want to keep your feet WARM and never get cold AND do not have to walk too far,,, Get a pair of military bunny boots or mickey mouse boots,,, Nothing like warm feet on ice,,,
majic

Offline Jollyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Got a pair of NEOS last year wear with tennis light weight and easy to get on for fat guy, Best ice fishing foot wear I have ever owned.

Which NEOS did you get?

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:10 AM »
 NEOS  Explorer Stabilicers. 

Offline FishDSc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Muck Arctic Pros are doing the trick for me. Comfortable and warm on the ice.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Muck Arctic Pros are doing the trick for me. Comfortable and warm on the ice.

I've worn my Muck Arctic Pros the past few seasons and really like them. Couple them up with a pair of Khatoola MICROspikes and they're unbeatable!  :tipup:

Offline stealyourface

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:23 PM »
I also have the muck arctic sports and they keep my toes nice n toasty

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:52 PM »

You can't beat them. Super convenient and super warm. Only gripe I have about them is they are too expensive and when the screw heads wear down, they are way too slippery. They need some spikes under your foot instead of around the perimeter. If you fish a bunch, you will get 2 years out of them at most and then you are slipping all over the place. You can replace the screws but mine were all rusted in and impossible to remove.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.