Author Topic: clam kenai  (Read 9219 times)

Offline IceMan8

• IceShanty Rookie
clam kenai
« on: Jun 11, 2013, 11:20 AM »
I finally just got my kenai put together and was wondering what some of you guys have done to customize your shack, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about replacing the seat with a boat seat, adding lights, and making some storage compartments.

Offline Beeler

Re: clam kenai
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2013, 04:56 AM »
Hi, I made some mods on my Kenai but it's stored in the shed right now.
But some of the mods I made are, welding a back on the bench seat. Sooooo much nicer.
But I found a folding plastic seat with a back on it that I plan on using, trying to make the shack lighter.   
Also, I made some pole holders out of 1-1/4 inch black water pipe and bolted them to the sled that swing out of the way when not in use. I did buy some small plastic square basket from Walmart and screwed them down to the sled.
Which holds everything in place and things don't slide around. I mounted cross county skis on the bottom of the sled with a 1 inch spacer between the ski and sled, better clearence for snow. 
Last year I sold my gas auger and went with a electric drill with a auger attached. This is so much lighter to carry around. I have a Milwaukee 18 volt drill with a 6 inch auger and can drill 12 holes on one charge if the ice is 12 inches thick, I carry 2 batteries. 
I will post some picture when the season gets closer.

WOW! just thinking about ice fishing gets me fired up.

Beeler   

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2013, 07:16 AM »

I have a Kenia with a few up grades , rod holders are ram universal mounts found them on super sale, rod racks are golf tubes with snap ties carries 4 rods and an old frabil seat with swivel ,it bolts right up to the frame work  and Smitty so don't worry about weight no pick of the Smitty but there are pages of them

Offline Steellord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2013, 06:57 PM »
The mods on my Kenai are pretty simple. I added a folding boat seat and mounted LED strip lights and a battery holder and switch box.

Battery holder and switch box.

Interior lighting and seat.
Steellord
Hardwater Fisherman
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's much more serious than that!!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Here are my mods. One thing I'm missing in the sled is my minnow bucket which would be placed behind the Buddy Heater. Also I found a chair that the back folds down.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:40 PM »
I really like your setup Beeler! Im looking at getting a Kenai, and I might be copying your setup!

Go Beavers!

Offline IceCrafty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Go creative and post pics.

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Here are my mods. One thing I'm missing in the sled is my minnow bucket which would be placed behind the Buddy Heater. Also I found a chair that the back folds down.

I thought about using spacers on the skis. I haven't seen it done and I don't want to make a Smitty sled. Nor do I have the room when transporting

Did it help with pulling?  How did you mount them to the sled? Pic maybe?

I'm still looking for skis. I found some but are 45 minutes away but only $10.

Thanks

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Where'd you get that seat?! Exactly what I'm looking for!
Let's fish it.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Where'd you get that seat?! Exactly what I'm looking for!
I bought it at Sportmans Guide, it's called a stadium chair. I looked on their web site today but I couldn't find the chair.
Maybe they don't carry it any more. Surf the web maybe you can find one, it's about $15.00.

Beeler

Offline Beeler

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:28 PM »
After cutting the ski to size here is what I did to fasten my cross county skis.
I used 1-1/4 inch thick treated wood for the spacer and then used 1-1/4 inch screws with a large washer.
You can find those washers at a hardware store with a small hole so the head of the screw won't pull through.
2 screws were fastern to each spacer on top with a washer and 2 screws were fasten through the ski into to the spacer with no washer.   

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Oh what a great idea thank you!

Also now seeing my shack upside down I see how worn my sled is.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I am thinking about getting a clam kenai, but have heard a couple draw backs to them.

I first heard that the inside of the sled, the material begins to start flaking off with minnor usage.

I also heard that they are hard to pull by hand threw the snow.

Can any one comment or share there expirences with this make of shelter.  What about the scout model sleds, do they pull easier?

Thanks
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:29 AM »
sounds like you talked your self out of buying clam
good for you!
you forgot about the bad hardware that comes with them

if you don't mind a leaky tent and windows (water wise), go with shappell fx series. lightest there is

otherwise i don't know of any good ones out there to pick from

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Well, I decided on the Shappell FX150 for it's size and weight.  The Kenai is smaller and lighter.  I like the idea of an "instant" flip - no expanding poles.  I'll use this shelter on early ice and walking trips.
Overall, for it's size, the Shappells are lighter in weight.
Pull hard? They all do in the snow.  Build a smitty sled to haul it on.  I am.  You can build a smitty for less than the wear bar kit.
Another option, if you are interested, are the Eskimos.  They look well built, but I have not looked at one in person.
I'll be using my Otter Pro Cabin as soon as the ice gets to 6" and I feel good about putting my tracked wheeler on the ice. ;D

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I used mine all last year. Inside of the tent flaking yes ; but pulls hard not at all, it actually feels like it floats. The main seller of this flip-over is the quick flip. Great for hole hoppin. Mine has never leaked on me. Has molded into the sled tray and rod holders plus beverage holders. Plenty of room. I think it was a good add to my fleet
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:32 PM »
look at the frabill commando, its a little heavier and costly at roughly $300, but is way better built. And bigger

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:32 PM »
look at the frabill commando, its a little heavier and costly at roughly $300, but is way better built. And bigger
Not much bigger, more weight and nearly $400.  Probably better built but I haven't seen one in person.  Not an "instant" flip - uses extending framework.  It's all good if that's what you want.
I use a heavy Otter when I can get on the ice with my wheeler to tow it.  It's likely the best built shelter on the market today.  Frabil has pretty nice high-end shelters too.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:07 PM »
This is my ramp I made last year in about 10 minutes because the morning I was ready to go fishing I had a idea.
This really works good and it's easy on the back. Unloading is so easy, it's fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.