Author Topic: "Snow suit / survival suit / float suit/ opinions and what you like about yours?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What kinda suit so you have? Why do you love it?

How cold have you been out in it? How did it treat ya? 

Any info is appreciated. Just looking for general feedback in stuff while I search for a new suit.

Good fishing!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline jaystev

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 'morning sunshine!
 I have several "snow suits" for sledding and theyre great for up to -20 and really breathable.  My boss bought me a pair of helly hanson floatation bibs last year and wear them almost exclusively. Theyre great pants completely waterproof( i knelt down in five inches of floodwater for a pike release and didnt get wet) and comfortable. The downside is that on warm days or if I have to walk-in too far they dont breathe, and I end up sweating in them. It went down below -25 up at cold lake when I was there and 30+ kph winds and those helleys with my cat parka I was pretty toasty. I think they were around 200 a pair and if mine ever got up and walked away Id definitely but another pair.

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
striker. they float, vent, right price, and can handle any temps with layering underneath.

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just got an Ice Armour suit this year, and so far I love it.  It doesn't float like a Striker suit, but I've been out a couple of times in -30 to -35 temps, and was not cold AT ALL.  They are waterproof/windproof as well, and have the under arm vents.  Tons of pockets, probably a few I still haven't discovered yet...lol

I'm quite happy with it thus far, hopefully it will last cause it wasn't cheep, but it does seem to be durable enough to make it for a few years provided I do my part and look after it as well... @)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Right on info guys. Ex-army I ask a lot of my gear/clothing and I'm usually let down.

Do you guys find you have to really upsize the suit and get a few layers under or how do you "best" wear the suits.

Good fishin N' thanks for the info!

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline linemanpete

• IceShanty Rookie
I always wear a base layer of underarmor, and I find most of the time, I can wear that under my 3M bib's with no other coverings on my legs.  They are bright orange, but they were given to me by my employer, are waterproof and toasty warm.  I love the bibs! 

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
striker. they float, vent, right price, and can handle any temps with layering underneath.

Where can you buy the Striker?  I see it on line but would really like to view one prior to purchase.

SHOTGUN

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I went the Arctic Armor Plus route, and have been happy with it. This is my third season with it, and I've been out in the sub -30 range more than a few times. It's super warm, and I don't have to wear very many layers underneath it to stay warm on even the coldest days. It's not the most durable gear, but I haven't exactly been gentle with it.

When this suit wears out, I'll be buying the exact same one again though.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
My coat is pretty bulky, so layering under that is no problem.  The pants fit well, are not bulky and I only wear a base layer and a pair of sweat pants under them.  If its down in the -30 range the base layer is HH polypropylene long underwear.  Less than -20 I just have a light base layer that is meant more for wicking moisture away that anything.   

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sounds like the majority of the suits would do well with my usual layering. Thanks for the info all!

Good fishin!

Offline SnowSpyder

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use my old Fire Dept bunker Pants  waterproof, warm , light,and well  if i fall in a fire.... FireProof LOL.. just a set of longjohns a good set of sweatpants and the bunker gear.. it cant get cold enuff out there that i'll ever need more.. good ole Tough Duck coat and a few layers of wool underneath  ... I grew up in the far North Ontario I stick with what works LOL
Cold wet tired Aint fishing Fun...

Offline coolhandluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • all position crack filler
Carhart insulated bibs and jacket. Not waterproof but thick, tough and damn warm..
Mom always  said, go out side.. I guess it stuck..

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
Snappy Sports Senter down here in the Flathead is a stocking Striker dealer.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Syrinx

• IceShanty Rookie
Snappy Sports Senter down here in the Flathead is a stocking Striker dealer.

I've stopped in at this place for ammo when I was down and it was pretty awesome. You definitely can't forget that name haha!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
A staple in the valley since 1947...same family, same location.  Did a major redo/expansion when heard Cabelas was coming to town.  Biggest fishing department in the state, and staff that knows their stuff. A must see when in the valley.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.