Author Topic: When do fish bite?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: When do fish bite?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12:20 PM »
As soon as I blow the fish whistle

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:40 PM »
I noticed that some guys put up their pop-up cover during the day even when it's not so cold. Are they  trying to block out the sun so the fish will not be spooked by the light?
I have covers I made from waterproof flooring insulation. They stop the holes from freezing and keep out the light.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:50 PM »
I feel like we may have a troll under this bridge.

Nah... Just a frustrated angler (I think). The OP has been a member since before me and has 3x as many posts as you do.

Sometimes it just gets, well, frustrating.

As far as pop-ups during the day when it's not that cold, it can keep the general public from seeing if you're catching anything (or not).  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:53 PM »
If I was only given 2 hours to go ice fishing, the slam dunk time for that to happen would always be the last 2 hours of daylight. Have seen magic happen too many times to not make that the obvious choice. Have had many flurries of perch and crappie schools come alive at that time, as well as lake trout that know they are running out of light for the day.  :tipup: ;)
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Well, I've caught 'em at all times....but the slowest always seemd to be mid morning and mid-afternoon. Early am is always good, and they seem to drop off after about 1:00 PM wherever I was at, lake or river. River didn't seem as touchy on times as a lake, though. Thinking maybe the currents have something to do with it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Perch bite early and late in the day because that is when the red worms that live in tubes on the soft lake bottom emerge.  It is during that time the schools of perch roam the bottom grazing on these tube worms.  Otherwise, perch bite best (all day long) in late winter and early spring as the females put on the feed bag prior to spawn.  Walleyes and crappie bite at night because that is when they have a sight advantage over their prey.  All of nature's creatures lay dormant or inactive when feeding would result in a net loss of energy.  Too much net loss of energy and they die.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2021, 03:01 PM »
Generally speaking, and when targeting panfish through the ice - the first two and last two hours of daylight seems to be best for me.  Perch bite slightly longer in the morning than crappies.  You can still get bit during the day, but the best fishing for me is usually those first and last two hours.  Honestly I find you don't have to wait for daylight for the crappie to bite.  I've got on them while you still need lights to see your rod tip.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:04 PM »
I noticed that some guys put up their pop-up cover during the day even when it's no so cold. Are they  trying to block out the sun so the fish will not be spooked by the light?
I have covers I made from waterproof flooring insulation. They stop the holes from freezing and keep out the light.

I just don't want to get sunburn.  Also if I got a hot hole, I don't want vultures hawking in on me.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:15 PM »
Yup!and dont throw fish in a plastic walmart bag or bucket until its time to leave.vultures  are attracted to that sound too.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2021, 07:24 AM »
I just don't want to get sunburn.  Also if I got a hot hole, I don't want vultures hawking in on me.  ;D

... privacy is nice on the ice.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2021, 08:14 AM »
I noticed that some guys put up their pop-up cover during the day even when it's no so cold. Are they  trying to block out the sun so the fish will not be spooked by the light?

Unless I'm moving around an absolute ton, I flip my shanty over every single time, regardless of the temps or sun. I hate wearing my jacket and the flip over blocks any wind/breeze that may be happening. On days that it's sunny but still cold, having the shanty flipped over can raise the inside temps by a few degrees so I won't need to run my heater.

And what everyone else said about privacy, although I'm a friendly dude that has no problem walking over to a group of folks just to kill time and see how they are doing.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2021, 10:59 AM »
I just got a 2022 calendar that tells me the best times. I won't post that info here---top secret!! Don't want everbody catching them all before I go.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Best times are based on the full and the new moon when tides are highest.  No big secret there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.