The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Shanty Recommendations  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shanty Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2013, 04:38 PM »
I bought a Shappell FX50 shelter this year,it keeps the wind off me and its light.
I really like it and they cost around $125.00

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Thought I needed a shelter, so about 6 years ago I broke down and purchased a clam. They have their place but for me it seems that I want to use it when its very windy only. Does anyone enjoy trying to put up their portable hut in the wind? I watched one roll across a lake in N.Y. once with the owner in hot pursuit. I couldn't help but think, man that could be me. ( it hasn't left the basement in two years )

I watched a hut actually move the 4-wheeler it was attached to during a windy afternoon on Bay of Quinte a few years ago.  The owners eyes got really big in a hurry!!!
LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2013, 07:05 AM »
make a anchor out of short piece of pve pi[pe tied to a string drill hole  drop anchor put up shanty
have use3d one many times it was windy works good for me

Offline icehippy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:24 AM »
i have a two man pop up from polar tech. probably only weighs about 15 lbs. easy set up,can stand inside of it but its a little to high for windy days. still okay if you are sitting in it. tied sticks to the ends to put down holes [pvc pipe sounds like a good idea]thanks digger. ice stakes are hard to use unless you take a cordless drill with you. got a tip years ago for a cheap heater. metal coffee can, roll of toilet paper without cardboard roll and rubbing alcohol. pour a little bit in and light. not sure how good fumes are but i usually have door open part way. mostly take it out when i have kids or newbies. got at bargain cave at cabelas for 60 bucks. hunting blind will work too. good luck and enjoy. later! :tipup:

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2013, 12:39 PM »
make a anchor out of short piece of pve pi[pe tied to a string drill hole  drop anchor put up shanty
have use3d one many times it was windy works good for me

Drill a hole thru the PVC one third from the end. It will be easier to retreive from the hole.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2013, 08:26 AM »
There are so many shelters available. Take in all the factors such as size, ease of use, weight, ease of dragging around, and price. There are a lot of good products out there. They are a great investment if you fish enough. 
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.