Author Topic: rod cases  (Read 7364 times)

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
rod cases
« on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:16 PM »
lets see those rod cases what are you guys using to protect these rods we are buying

i have been using a bucket and its time to get a rod case or bag or storage unit or something

to protect my ice rods
Thankyou God for hunting and fishing

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: rod cases
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I use a Revolution ice fishing case by Stone Legacy. Hold up to 8 rods, plenty of storage You should check it out. Its held up well ,no complaints.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:37 PM »
I use a case made by First Ice, it looks like a small fly rod case. I'ts not the best, the zipper's on the wrong side and the tube is hard to get the tips in. Cabelas makes a better one.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:28 PM »
I have this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20196&id=0051066121545a&navCount=2&podId=0051066&parentId=cat20196&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

And another 3 rod "TUBE" case from Cabela's. But it is no longer on their website. I did see them in a Cabela's store 2 weeks ago. I like both of them. The 6-rod case I can only get 4 rods in it. I also bought "Rod Slicks" to keep my lines from tangling up inside the bag.
jbird68

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:17 AM »
I bought an arrow hard cases.  I have 6 rods in it. I got mine off of ebay.  This seems to be holding up pretty well so far since this is the first year of use.
<br />

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I got some flyrod cases off the internet,when on sale.They will hold up to a 30" rod and reel.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:49 AM »
I use a Revolution ice fishing case by Stone Legacy. Hold up to 8 rods, plenty of storage You should check it out. Its held up well ,no complaints.

Ditto on the Stone Legacy recommendation

http://store.stonelegacy.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=5
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:48 PM »
If you are going to order a bag from Stone Legacy, call this #888-858-4826, another company bought out Stone Legacy and the website still works, but you can not order anything from it, took me a couple of days to figure this out and it'll take about two weeks to get a bag.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2008, 04:48 PM »
I have this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20196&id=0051066121545a&navCount=2&podId=0051066&parentId=cat20196&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

And another 3 rod "TUBE" case from Cabela's. But it is no longer on their website. I did see them in a Cabela's store 2 weeks ago. I like both of them. The 6-rod case I can only get 4 rods in it. I also bought "Rod Slicks" to keep my lines from tangling up inside the bag.

How do u like the 6 rod cabelas one? I was looking at it on line and have a gift card that I need to use and was thinking about that case. how is the quality etc? Is there room to store tackle? I keep all my jigs in a small fly fishing fly box and carry two of them (usually in my pockets). Any info you can give on this case, likes, dislikes etc would be apprecitated. I am running to cabelas in the next couple of days and would like to have your opinion in mind while looking at this case.

Thanks/everyone have a happy new year,
J-

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2008, 07:27 PM »
i dont know what it is like but it is on sale for $14 I dont like those kind of bags because the rods get tangled up

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:10 PM »
How do u like the 6 rod cabelas one? I was looking at it on line and have a gift card that I need to use and was thinking about that case. how is the quality etc? Is there room to store tackle? I keep all my jigs in a small fly fishing fly box and carry two of them (usually in my pockets). Any info you can give on this case, likes, dislikes etc would be apprecitated. I am running to cabelas in the next couple of days and would like to have your opinion in mind while looking at this case.

Thanks/everyone have a happy new year,
J-

I can only fit 4 rods in it and there are pockets on the outside where you can put small fly boxes. I bought "Rod Slicks" from Clam Corp to keep the rods from getting tangles up.
jbird68

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:39 PM »
craig, i have a green one like jason that you can try out, i made a rod holder in my jet sled, so its sitting in my garage, if you like it we can work something out...it will hold 4 rods without tangling....i had 3 rods and 4 tipups in there, but it was crammed......let me know

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:38 AM »
I can only fit 4 rods in it and there are pockets on the outside where you can put small fly boxes. I bought "Rod Slicks" from Clam Corp to keep the rods from getting tangles up.

Thanks,

J-

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:05 AM »
does anyone have pics of what they put there rods in to go fishing bucket, bag, box, bottom of sled, any pics will help thanks looking for ideas so i can take care of my rods to go fishing and not have them get broken or all tangled

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:07 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=11470.15

i did a search and the bucket with the pvc pipe mounted on the out side is what i plan to do.. it will free up the space in my bucket for taking home the fish i catch. could possibly make the pvc longer and cut a slot out of the side and it would protect the entire rod..

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:39 AM »

Here's a link to the SL Revolution that I reviewed a few years back. I still have it, still use it and still love it.

Revolution Case

Doug >))))>

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:38 PM »
i got this in the mail today. this is the hard case i went with i have a soft case on the way i will post picks of that when it comes   

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2009, 01:41 PM »
hows that case working out for you ? lol

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:31 AM »
I'm having trouble finding a case thats long enough for my rods.  I have seven rods I always take on the ice, most are under 30 inches but I have two 32 inch and one 42 inch rods and can't find any case anywhere that will fit those three.  I'd rather buy a case instead of trying to make something.  Anybody have any ideas.  I'd like one that has a hard or semi hard case.........

Thanks.

Dan

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2009, 03:02 PM »
I'm having trouble finding a case thats long enough for my rods.  I have seven rods I always take on the ice, most are under 30 inches but I have two 32 inch and one 42 inch rods and can't find any case anywhere that will fit those three.  I'd rather buy a case instead of trying to make something.  Anybody have any ideas.  I'd like one that has a hard or semi hard case.........

Thanks.

Dan

yeh the otter i just got is 39 inches so you could fit all the rods in there except the 1 rod that is 42

Offline icefalcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Try a baseball / softball BAT bag. Plastic, about 38-40" long, has handle. Usually a bigger part at the bottom.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:14 PM »
There are several gun cases at Gander Mtn. Various lengths and materials.  Foam inside just like the Otter rod case.  I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I also modified a baseball bat bag.  It works well.  I slid a piece of 6" pvc pipe in the end to protect the tips.  I can fit all 6 of my jigging rods in with no trouble. 

Offline snowstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
  • good luck!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:00 PM »
a good soft case is the Ready Rig Bag ordered mine from Cabelas, sure more places carry them, this case hold tons of gear and its a backpack.   My biggest rod is 36" it fits in,. I have 7 rods in it all together could fit more when i get them. :tipup:

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:03 PM »
i got this in the mail today. this is the hard case i went with i have a soft case on the way i will post picks of that when it comes   
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Who makes this?

Offline paullo19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:54 PM »
The case is an Otter rod case.Sportsmansguide has them the cheapest.I just ordered one last night.

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:47 AM »
The case is an Otter rod case.Sportsmansguide has them the cheapest.I just ordered one last night.

Thanks. I'll wait and see if they go any lower next month.  :)

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:14 PM »
the otter case i got is great and the marcum case i ngot is working good to except some of the stitching had to be redone
rod bag is next to me it carries my marcum and has individual protectors inside the bag for 4 poles its nice

otter rod case

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:17 PM »
I love your rod case and will get one like it since I've lately got some rods that actually are worth protecting.  The question I have is, why do you spend scads on rods, reels and rod cases, but you use black electrical tape to secure your reel to your rod?  Why not get a rod with a reel seat?

There are no personalities in this.

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I love your rod case and will get one like it since I've lately got some rods that actually are worth protecting.  The question I have is, why do you spend scads on rods, reels and rod cases, but you use black electrical tape to secure your reel to your rod?  Why not get a rod with a reel seat?

There are no personalities in this.

all of my ice fishing gear has been purchased during clearance sales, i dont spend alot of money on stuff most of my money goes for diapers for my 2 youngest kids, the rods i have are great rods but they dont come with a reel seat

alot of people attach there reels in this fashion so they can put the reel where they want to on there rod instead of where a manufacturer puts the reel seat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.