Author Topic: Done with Vexilar/ Marcum or Hummingbird  (Read 3487 times)

Offline jakjkl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • do I have something in my teeth?
Done with Vexilar/ Marcum or Hummingbird
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:56 PM »
I saw the Hummmingbird 5 color flasher, and was very, very immpressed. I have read nothing but raving reviews of the Marcums. Since I cant stand to buy a product from a company that has the unit made in Japan. I did not realize this till the economy took a crap  and i started paying attention on how much stuff is made in japan and china. Im selling my Vexilar. Its a great unit, but I think the others are as good if not better and made in the U.S.A. Anybody have the new Hummingbird?

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Done with Vexilar/ Marcum or Hummingbird
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:49 PM »
you may wanna do some research. Humminbird might be assembled in USA but "made"??? doubtful. Unless it comes out of the ground it is highly unlkely that any product is truly "made" in America.
    This has always been my problem with folks and car manfacturers saying they must buy American. There is no  American cars anymore. Assembled in America yes but chock full of Japanese and Korean parts
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:36 PM »
^^^ agreed 100%.  plus... the most important part of "buying American" is to avoid taking away jobs from American workers.  if it is assembled here, and you buy that product, you are helping job security for Americans even if the parts are from overseas
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Fat_C

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I agree, most stuff is assembled in USA, but right now that is just about all we have. Anyone chime in and correct me if I am wrong, but Strikemaster is based in Big Lake, MN....about 15 minutes from me. but they are chinese metal on the hand augers maybe on power augers. Humminbird is in Alabama and parent company of MinnKota i believe which is in MN. Marcum-Nature Vision is in MN and refurb work is done locally here. At least there are some jobs that come from the assembly or repair.

I am self employed and know how expensive it is to do business. My stuff comes from US companies but am sure parts originate from elsewhere. But as long as there are incentives for large companies to ship work overseas they will keep doing it.

Colt

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:46 PM »
I have a humminbird Ice-55. Great unit and built solid. Have been bangin it around lots already and holdin up good. This thing is so sensitive it can see my tiny damn swivels at 2 feet above my jig. I have definatly caught more fish this season because of it!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:00 AM »
LOL. Where do you think the components of the Marcums and Hummingbirds come from.....Asia. The Japanesse know electronics and are good at it. Some of the best and most accurate CNC machines and controls come from Japan. Comparing Japan to China is like comparing and apple to a stick laying along the road.

Where I used to work the main component of the product was from China but it had the "Made IN USA" label on it.

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:36 AM »
My strikemaster has "Made In SWEDEN" stamped into the steel on the auger. If the Swedes got the steel from china, I dont know.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:07 AM »
My strikemaster has "Made In SWEDEN" stamped into the steel on the auger. If the Swedes got the steel from china, I dont know.

Lazers started to be made in China around 4 years ago, Moras even earlier. My 5" lazer is about 5years old and its made in sweden.

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:38 PM »
I have a humminbird Ice-55. Great unit and built solid. Have been bangin it around lots already and holdin up good. This thing is so sensitive it can see my tiny d**n swivels at 2 feet above my jig. I have definatly caught more fish this season because of it!

I agree, my units have worked excellent this year..both the Humminbird ICE 55 and ICE 45

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:43 PM »
I saw the Hummmingbird 5 color flasher, and was very, very immpressed. I have read nothing but raving reviews of the Marcums. Since I cant stand to buy a product from a company that has the unit made in Japan. I did not realize this till the economy took a crap  and i started paying attention on how much stuff is made in japan and china. Im selling my Vexilar. Its a great unit, but I think the others are as good if not better and made in the U.S.A. Anybody have the new Hummingbird?

I think you'll find that they ALL have parts of some kind made in a different country .
They can label anything " Made In The USA " that has one part made here and not tell you that the majority of the other parts are made elsewhere .

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Buy American Cars! Sure toyota is assembled in america but most of the money they make goes overseas to the bigwigs in japan

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:53 PM »
YEP, had quite a few experiences with the new hummingbirds in the past few weeks, and they do not cut the mustard.  they did not pass the deep water lake trout test.  Heck it couldn't even read his jig deeper than 100 feet in the laker water, and he had the 55!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:03 PM »
I have a humminbird Ice-55. Great unit and built solid. Have been bangin it around lots already and holdin up good. This thing is so sensitive it can see my tiny d**n swivels at 2 feet above my jig. I have definatly caught more fish this season because of it!
 I think they are all good sonars. I have an FL18 and when I'm jigging I can watch the small bead that I put on for my bobber stop slide all the way down to my jigging spoon. Since I have a sonar that will do this for me I have no reason to buy something else. The one I had before would do the same and it is a Micronar FL8 which is still being used by my son. If my present sonar wears out I will check to see what is available at that time. I can remember the days of using an old Lowrance green box and what I'm using at this time is one heck of an improvement over it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:44 AM »
regardless of where it is made you are still supporting American jobs by buying "in" America. Even products made in Korea require Americans to distribute and sell. The whole "buy American" slogan is crap, if you soley buy American you will put Americans out of work.
    If you want your electronics, cars etc to be truly American you better be willing to quadruple the price.

This is just my opinion and not to be construed as fact. Also, I am Canadian, eh
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline RickOnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:56 AM »
I have been using the 55 on Lake Simcoe for Lakers and Whitefish up to 110FOW,  Never a problem seeing Jig!!!

Rick

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:59 AM »
I have been using the 55 on Lake Simcoe for Lakers and Whitefish up to 110FOW,  Never a problem seeing Jig!!!
Rick

tell that to Rondog!

Offline RickOnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Big Red

Was the HBird reading bottom OK.

I have heard of cases where the TDucer is not sitting level, sometimes an issue with the support cable and it will not pck up bottom,  But if it was sitting level and marking bottom clearly it should easily see the jig, I do have to use narrow beam in deep water but never more than a 6 setting to get the Jig.

Rick

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:22 PM »
YEP, had quite a few experiences with the new hummingbirds in the past few weeks, and they do not cut the mustard
.  they did not pass the deep water lake trout test.  Heck it couldn't even read his jig deeper than 100 feet in the laker water, and he had the 55!

If that is the case something is wrong with the unit you were using.  Either the transducer was shot or the unit wasn't working right.  You should be able to fish trout deeper than 100 FOW no problem at all.

Scott Steil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.