Author Topic: Does anybody use the hollow stillfish rods anymore with built-in spring bobber?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just curious how many people currently use them, and besides catching fish, why they like them, and how they handle them best? Also what depths they can comfortably work?

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Astounding, and apparently NO! I have to say that I find it very surprising that no one uses these type poles. I have to admit that I see very few in use, but cannot believe that no one uses them or maybe wants to admit it. I do see more of the old style jig-poles with the plastic reels and pegged line markers, but then again, not too many. Other than being dinosaur's, my observations have been pretty good fisherman who still use them, and they are generally older than most. Maybe, just old fashion ways carried on. Maybe, the hand over hand technique is too hard to perfect. I don't know.  I just hate to see anything to do with ice-fishing disappear no matter how simple or not high-tech it is. Have they become extinct?  :(

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i use something like this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=93&p=20. the kids like them. there simple and easy to use

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
i use something like this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=93&p=20. the kids like them. there simple and easy to use
Yeah, that is a jigpole with the plastic reel. Most use them in shallow water, however when you get deeper, say 10 or 12 feet you must hand over hand the line in to be fluid. Then you must be able to handle that amount of line out and not get tangled up putting it back down. I have a pretty good way with it now but it took some learning. I like to use these type poles when it's real cold and the line is freezing up. I can still hole hop when others equipment make it to frustrating. I find myself doing the same thing with my rod and reel set-up when it's cooooold also.  :) Thanks for your response rich81.Glad to see someone other than me using these. Like I said, I think they are almost extinct!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.