Author Topic: TACKLE QUESTIONS  (Read 1966 times)

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING WESTERN MASS.
TACKLE QUESTIONS
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:22 PM »
I just found out about the HT ice rigger rod tender. I though that they would work and i bought a couple of them and im just wondering if anyone else has used them and has had any problems with them or has anything i need to know about them and or what spechies of fish they work well for.

"I dont need church, the woods,lakes and rivers are my church."
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: TACKLE QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:50 PM »
rod tender? got a pic ???

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Awesome pic!!! :-\

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Use my one for pike and walleye. No problems so far.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:19 PM »
used one last year. works great. leave bail open. bought another one. my buddy bought one for this season, whenever that's gonna be. still no ice, as you know. works for anything you can use a trap for.

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:21 PM »
They look cool but I have no info on them. Try this www.firstrikefishing.c om. I ordered a couple of these that work with any rod holder.

Offline The Ice Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:34 PM »
@ Lac Suel Freak the ice riggers work kinda like thouse but you put the line between the reel and the first eye in the alligator clip at the front of the rigger and when the fish hits it pulls the line from the alligator clip and setts off the flag witch goes under the plastic tube that the alligator clip is on
                     (My Dad)-Scott Johnson

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I just use a rod holder.  We aren't allowed to use anything that "automatically" sets the hook.  Use enough weight on a drop shot to slightly bend the rod, and wait.  Unlike the above comment, close the bail to hold the weight 1cm from bottom (line is nice and tight).  You can put bells on the rod to indicate strikes, but I just watch the rod tips.  Use sharp hooks so the fish can't spit it out before you get to the rod.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:14 AM »
In-fisherman video shows how to use real well. I have 5 don't use tip ups much anymore.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:18 AM »
quote: "We aren't allowed to use anything that "automatically" sets the hook."

Ice riggers don't set the hook, they just set off the flag and then you use the rod to fight the fish. Legal in all 50 states and Canada, as stated on the package. In NY they are counted as one of your 5 tip ups.

BIGJim223

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:27 AM »
They work well for me as long as the temp is above freezing, below 32*, ice builds up in the hole and on the line and they keep hanging up.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:38 AM »
They work well for me as long as the temp is above freezing, below 32*, ice builds up in the hole and on the line and they keep hanging up.

i run light line on a similar homemade setup. the line seems to wick up a small amount of slightly warmer water that allows the line to slide through its own little hole in the ice. there is some drag but if you clean the holes every few hrs on colder days it works fine for me.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:02 AM »
i love these rigs for all types of fish especially deep lakers.i leave the bail closed with the drag set very loose then tighten accordingly when a fish hits.i have 2 riggers i bought and about 6 homemade that iv used for years.

i usually fill the hole with snow to keep the hole from freezing been doing this for years with no problems.it is kind of a pain to have to scoop the hole clean for every fish though,but its better than winding up 200' (x5)of tip up line at the end of the day.also my buddy says even if the hole freezes over the line still slides through the ice fine personally i want as little resistance as possible.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Walmart carrys these and probably a buck or two cheaper if anyone else is looking.  I keep looking at them and am tempted myself but haven't even used what I got now. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.