Author Topic: 2013 Early Ice Season  (Read 7291 times)

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2013 Early Ice Season
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Great posts Jiggin!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like I'll have to make a trip soon.

Tight Lines,
sully

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #61 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Nice vids Jiggin' . That Go Pro takes some really nice vids, I can't wait too see more over the season! Do you have it rigged up on some type of extension for the under ice shots? I'll be around this week if your looking for some company to go out local. (child in tow tho) lol pm me
-Jack
Newfound (Circus)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 24, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Nice vids Jiggin' . That Go Pro takes some really nice vids, I can't wait too see more over the season! Do you have it rigged up on some type of extension for the under ice shots? I'll be around this week if your looking for some company to go out local. (child in tow tho) lol pm me
-Jack

Hi Jack, Yes I have it on a mono-pod so I can extend it and go below the surface. Getting the hang of this thing. I plan to use it more than I do my photo camera this year.

All the ice I have been on has been 2-3" max...very sketchy. I'd be scared to take a child out on this ice right now but then again, they dont weigh much. I've been traveling some distance too to get on ice, no where local just yet.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:01 PM »
12/24/2012

X-mas eve....got out early this morning and glad we did (Laker Taker and I) as the lake we were on got very busy.

Ended the morning with 3 Browns and 8 yellow perch. The perch kept taking my bait so had to reel up just under the ice as they were near the bottom (25 feet). Laker Taker ended up with 3 Brookies and a few yellows too.

Good seeing you Scott D, Big Jim, Worm Wiggler & Cold Steel (I forget the other fellow's name, my apologizes). Way to get them today too! You guys slammed em!! Congrats! Nice way to start off the season. We'll connect up again soon.

In case I don't get a chance to tell everyone, I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Awesome seeing you Jiggin and Laker Taker, have a great holiday guys! We'll probably see you Wednesday morning.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #65 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Nice job guys. Way to "Go, Go, Get em". ;D   Merry Christmas.

Capt. Black

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Made our way to the lake this morning, Laker Taker, Tippin and I. When we got there we were extremely surprised to see that there wasn't much ice in the cove. While checking the ice to see how far we could make it out, hit the ice out in front of me with one punch of the chisel and lost it through the ice. Luckily I could see my rope and was able to jig it up but I had to stand on the ice that the chisel went through in one punch. A good way to get the blood pumping first thing. I was glad to get off there.
There wasn't enough room for us to fish so we checked another lake. Unfortunately that lake had an air pocket between the ice and water so you couldn't get out on it without the ice calapsing.
So we ventured again on the road to a lake we fished X-Mas eve. Thanks Scott for the intel as to lake pressure. We wrestled between going back there or hitting another lake that we weren't sure was frozen. Turns out after we fished we checked this other lake out and there was open water, we made the right decision.

I got 3 browns today with one being a nice fatty. I also got 6 pickerel. Tippin got a rainbow and several perch and pickerel. Laker Taker got skunked.

What a nice day before the storm, no winds and warm. Fished without a jacket after mid morning and felt like I was getting a sun tan. Tippin made a great lunch for us, Ribeye marinated steak with mushrooms, Red Potato salad and bean casserole. This guy knows how to cook. Told CH about it when I got home and she is jealous. She'll be fishing with you this season Tippin!

After much run around this morning and being frustrated, it was nice to finally get settled down on some fish-able ice and catch some.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:54 PM »
what a day weather-wise!!!.
once we got "settled in", i had a good feelin' about today weather we caught fish or not.
got my traps in, and jigged in one hole...really hoped i would jig one up, but only jigged up a yellow pearch
got to see JIGGIN pull in a nice fish, and he let me pull it ontop of the ice like a little kid...lol..."thats what they  feel like"!
felt like i was going to lose it at any moment...thx JIGGIN..

pics of the day...
my rainbow..

our meal....
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Fish, friends, and food.... sounds like good times.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Awesome report Jiggin....we stayed in our area and it just wasn't very fast and furious at all. Was good seeing you guys over there. Not sure I'll be out anymore this week. If you get out, good luck and stay safe!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Looks like tomorrow is gonna be a rough one with the wind forecast. The snow, I can handle. The wind, well that blows....

The ice conditions are making it difficult to accomplish my goal of fishing four to five lakes this week. The snow will only add weight to the ice, making it wet and heavy. Hoping it will be very cold so that the water on the ice can have a chance to freeze although the snow will insulate it. I can see my tip ups holes filling up with wind blown snow. From past experience, when it's really windy out, I dont do as well...so it seems but as we all know, you cant catch em from on the couch (where I live anyways).

Having the bobhouses out on Newfound the 1st of the year is looking pretty iffy. Most likely will be in a portable at best.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:24 PM »
My fingers crossed you guys get that chance, if its safe enough I may join you ;-) Big Jim sure does like the company of certain people from the circus ;-)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Well, the wind is crazy right now (at least from here), so if it's open, it's toast. Hopefully Newfound on the other side of the mountain is calm. (Yeah, right lol).

Big Jim! I remember Big Jim. He unstuck me at the town beach parking lot. You can let him know I got the 4WD fixed. He may not have to push any Kia's this year. (Thanks Big Jim!)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:31 PM »
12/27/2012

Well today was a bust....it was 32f, snowing, sleeting, hailing and windy. Pretty much what we were thinking yesterday what it was going to be like today.
We were able to get out all our lines but not very far out from shore with about 2 - 3" max of ice. Other spots were only 1 punch with the chisel. Not enough for me. The heavy snow didn't help as we watched all the water come up the holes and onto the lake. Snow wicked the water creating dark wet spots that grew in diameter as the morning went on making the ice sink and get wetter.

As predicted, we didn't get any but  a few flags with some line taken out.

Even though it wasn't a productive day in terms of catching, the scenery was fantastic. A few times we had white out conditions, big flakes to hail balls with over cast. For the most part it was warm (which isn't good but made the weather bearable). Ended up getting about 10" of snow while we were there.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:53 PM »
10" of snow....uhhg....just hope the wind helps us out by blowing it off the ice!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:17 AM »
12/28/2012

Took the wife's "advice" and slept in this morning.

Watching the grandson today, sipping on a cup of coffee sitting next to the wood stove......wondering the ice conditions from last night? I'll take a ride later so I can plan out for tomorrow.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Nice season thus far Jiggin, lovin the videos..sometimes it is nice to "kick back" with the little ones and enjoy the other finer things in life. :)

Offline Worm Dangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll be somewhere in God's Country
« Reply #77 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I just caught up on those vids.  Awesome shot of the early morning browns, impressive!!

Nice work guys :)
Drink Like a Fish

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #78 on: Dec 29, 2012, 01:00 PM »
12/29/12

Made it out this morning, was 12f when I got to the lake. Calm no wind but later in the morning it picked up slightly. Not bad. By the time I left, the outdoor temps warmed up to 19f. Started snowing heavy ~ 10 am. Great scenery, slow bite.

Had a pleasent surprise this morning, Jiffyman, Knurren and Timberdoodle made an appearance and were able to get some lines out. Nice seeing and chatting with you guys again. It's been a while.
A couple other guys came out Doug and his buddy and were able to venture out on some new ice. Nice meeting and chatting with you guys too....they aren't on IS (yet) but will be looking it up and checking it out.

Ended the day with 1 rainbow and a small pickerel.

Hitting new waters tomorrow.......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:45 PM »
12/30/12

Just got back from the lake with Laker Taker and Tippin. It was snowing all the way there and windy. Temps were 14f when we got there.
Set up Tippin's new portable near shore, very nice and roomy.

Ventured further out onto the lake but it was slow going having to check every step of the way. Some spots had 3" while just a foot away had much less, it was very hard knowing where to go due to the snow cover. Anyone going out should check every step of the way before stepping. The added weight of the snow and water is very bad and tricky and I have been hearing folks have been getting wet so far this season. At this point, don't trust anyone with your life, especially the noobs that are reporting good ice conditions on certain lakes. (you know who they are), they don't know any better and they are going to get someone hurt. Check it with your chisel and not with an ice auger as I have seen done this year by some (the ice is thin enough where you don't need an auger) or send your fat buddy (ice checker) ahead of you first.

Got skunked today but I'm sure it was due to the heavy winds. Had a great time and good lunch. Thanks Tippin for the shelter, you got a nice set up.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:53 PM »
thx JIGGIN...was concerned about the condensation in the quickfish-6..hubstyle earlier, but it didnt turn out to bad...and thanks
to laker-magiver we were able to fix the cross member i broke last week ...thx again for the ride, and good time..

tippin 2'..

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Hey Guys,
Big Jim and I hit the same spot we have been the past 3 times out. Total skunk for us too. Wind was brutal and the snow covered everything. Ice was slushy as anything and all previous holes drilled in the ice were completely covered. My left leg found 3 of them up to my knee, my right one found another. Big Jim found only one and jay web and ryan each found 2. NOT FUN at all!!!! Lots of new holes and water flowing.

Be safe guys!!!!

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:46 PM »
The frontal conditions made it slow here too, however our ice conditions have improved........nice shelter Tippin

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #83 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Good to see you again Scott, i ended up with one tiny perch.  Wind picked up wicked after you left.
Newfound (Circus)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Good to see you again Scott, i ended up with one tiny perch.  Wind picked up wicked after you left.

Good seeing you too,  PICKED UP???? Ugh it was miserable that's why we left...I did get a tiny perch jigging, but I wasn't gonna brag so that lol.

Offline HardTellinNotKnowin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Not that I'm glad you guys were slow, but as I am still a rookie I am a bit relieved to know it was not just me that was having a tough time getting fish to commit. I marked quite a few nice fish on the flasher but despite changing presentation, bait, ect., I could only get a few fish to commit yesterday.  Hopefully the cold brings better ice and better fishing. 

Cheers and tight lines!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:52 PM »
12/31/2012

Closed out my early ice fishing season today with 1 brown that was 18". Laker Taker had a smaller brown.

Used the GoPro cam above and under the water. In the distance while the camera is under the water you can see a brown swimming around,  just faintly but you can see him. I could see them swim by the hole from time to time and tease my shiner but not commit to it. For some reason I cant seem to post vids using the GoPro3 camera. I need to mess around with it some more.

Not a bad day weather wise. Slight gust but warmed up to 19f, 14f when we got there.

Looking forward to getting into some lake trout fishing next and give these browns, brookies and rainbows a break. For now though due to the lake ice conditions, I'll continue to keep pestering them at least for another week.

Have a safe and Happy New Years everyone!

Cheers!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Nice job getting after them. Happy New Year to you and CH. See you soon.

Capt. Black

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:54 PM »
enjoyed your post Jiggin. Looking forward to the Newfound Circus posts.
Good luck and be safe

tight lines everyone

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:57 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS !!!    OH GOOSE EGG TODAY MYSELF    MY NEPHEW GOT 1 BROOKIE AND HIS BUDDY GOT 1 BROOKIE AND 3 BROWNS..
NOT A BAD DAY AT ALL WEATHER WISE...............

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.