Author Topic: Prepping Ritual  (Read 1833 times)

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
Prepping Ritual
« on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Every year at this time, I always end up having to do something because I'm chomping on the bit to get out on the ice. And obviously the ice doesn't exist yet! But often it helps if I can keep myself busy preparing.

I also really like seeing what the rest of you are doing to get ready. It gives me a lot of ideas on how to prep for myself.

So this year, I decided it was time to start upping my game on tying my own ice flies and jigs. I'm slowly getting better with it. Enough so, that I decided it was time to buy a fly tying bench. Unfortunately, it would have cost as much or more as a new ice shanty, or sonar! So like I do with a lot of things, if I like something and can't afford it, or can't find exactly what I like, I end up making my own. So here's a picture of the fly tying bench I just made for myself.

I haven't used this new post image app that ice shanty is now using, so hopefully this will show up okay.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
Re: Prepping Ritual
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:47 PM »
And here's the finished product with my tools on it. Now it's time to start tying some ice flies!

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:52 PM »
I know there's a few other of you guys on here that also make your own ice flies or jigs. If you don't mind, throw some pictures on this thread! I'd like to see them.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Looks Awesome, hope you enjoy putting it to good use.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Thanks, Hound!

Just tied my first jig on it.

It's called a "Squirmy Wormy."

I used a tungsten bead and have the lead free wire wrapped to make it as heavy as I could. I'm thinking this should make a good bloodworm imitation for perch down deep...?

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Looks like a great bench. I am an avid fly fisherman and make mu own ice jes and jigs. I would say that your bench looks way better than mine. I just have an old station in basement that always looks like a tornado hit a chicken farm...ha. beer fridge within arm reach though.
Welcome to the world of tying and a new addiction .
Chad
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Looks like a great bench. I am an avid fly fisherman and make mu own ice jes and jigs. I would say that your bench looks way better than mine. I just have an old station in basement that always looks like a tornado hit a chicken farm...ha. beer fridge within arm reach though.
Welcome to the world of tying and a new addiction .
Chad

I know what you mean! All I needed was another expensive hobby.  :roflmao:

Fortunately the tools for this are less expensive than my woodworking addiction.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Here’s my actual tying set up. Other one I temporarily set up on compuer to look at YouTube patterns

Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Here’s my actual tying set up. Other one I temporarily set up on compuer to look at YouTube patterns

Whatever gets the job done, right? I'm making a matching phone/ipad holder for that exact reason.

Let ne know when you're ready to upgrade!  ;)

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Just finished a little tying session...

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:36 AM »

A few bugs. This is also a rare pic of my clean tying area. Beer on tap to the right side and a fridge on the left...not pictured.

Honey, I'm going down to "tie" some flies..ha

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:29 AM »

A few bugs. This is also a rare pic of my clean tying area. Beer on tap to the right side and a fridge on the left...not pictured.

So, how many times do you "tie one on" before the flies start looking funny?
 ::)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:40 AM »
ftwwalleye, those are some really good looking flies. What are you using as a finish coat? I use Hard As Nails but your's look better!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:24 PM »
ftwwalleye, those are some really good looking flies. What are you using as a finish coat? I use Hard As Nails but your's look better!
Teach
Thanks teach. Appreciate the kind words.
After a few years of trial and error got a formula down. Some of the bugs are tungsten scuds and I then stretch latex or vynal wrap before I clearcoat them. All of them I finish with U.V loon resin. I found that it would get smudged or tacky still. I will then apply a thin spray of krylon fixative over the final product. Good sheen and dry finish.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:34 PM »
Thanks teach. Appreciate the kind words.
After a few years of trial and error got a formula down. Some of the bugs are tungsten scuds and I then stretch latex or vynal wrap before I clearcoat them. All of them I finish with U.V loon resin. I found that it would get smudged or tacky still. I will then apply a thin spray of krylon fixative over the final product. Good sheen and dry finish.

Nice!

Question, how do you attach the scud bodies to the hooks? I have some D rib but haven't figured out the initial attachment.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Nice!

Question, how do you attach the scud bodies to the hooks? I have some D rib but haven't figured out the initial attachment.
Start your thread on hook and build up a small layer. I put a drop of superglue on the thread and then do some wraps over body

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:22 PM »

those look sweet. nice work.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Super job! Thanks.
Teach
Teacher Preacher

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:42 AM »
A few years ago, I was watching some guys just nail the crappies and bluegills with an ice fly. We were over 4 feet of water and they were jigging just inches below the ice. I've been trying to find the jig that they used but finally tied one myself.

It's wire weighted so it sinks otherwise it would be neutral buoyancy. I then decided to add a tungsten bead head to sink faster.

Now bring on the ice!!!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2018, 05:57 AM »
A few years ago, I was watching some guys just nail the crappies and bluegills with an ice fly. We were over 4 feet of water and they were jigging

It's wire weighted so it sinks otherwise it would be neutral buoyancy. I then decided to add a tungsten bead head to sink faster.

Nice. I use a lot of tungsten. Sometimes with a "slow" day the unweighted flies are what give you the upper hand. The super slow drop and buyoncy gives them something other than a bright pink jig slapping them in the head over and over..ha

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:47 PM »
A few years ago, I was watching some guys just nail the crappies and bluegills with an ice fly. We were over 4 feet of water and they were jigging just inches below the ice. I've been trying to find the jig that they used but finally tied one myself.

Now bring on the ice!!!

Just a note....sometimes the slow fall is what the crappies (and Gills) want.  They don't want a missile dropping by them to fast.  Always have some that sink slowly along with some you are adding tungsten bead heads to.  If fishing just under the ice the lighter the better most of the time.  It is a pain to fish when there is any wind as they sink so slow, but they can be the difference in biters vs lookers too.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Just a note....sometimes the slow fall is what the crappies (and Gills) want.  They don't want a missile dropping by them to fast.  Always have some that sink slowly along with some you are adding tungsten bead heads to.  If fishing just under the ice the lighter the better most of the time.  It is a pain to fish when there is any wind as they sink so slow, but they can be the difference in biters vs lookers too.

Agreed!

That's why I did one style with tungsten and one style without.

I used both fishing from a dock yesterday.  The bigger fish were biting on the no-tungsten version more readily than the other. I stopped putting spikes on them to keep the little ones off.

Bite was neutral to negative until dark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.