Author Topic: Keeping ice from the flight  (Read 2388 times)

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Keeping ice from the flight
« on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Just wondering if there is anything you can do to keep the ice from freezing on the flight and blades of your auger

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Keeping ice from the flight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Spray wax seems to work well.  Spray it down and let dry, then wipe. Simple and quick.
Keeps water from sitting and keeps snow from sticking.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Thanks oldtimer I will give it a try

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:29 AM »
tiger torch  ;D

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Good old fashioned car wax and/or silicone spray for preventative maintenance  helps.  Spray lock deicer is really good too, when it ices up!!
Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:55 AM »
The simplest way: when done with drilling never lay it down in deep or loose snow touching, or worse covering the blades.

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I've heard cooking spray like Pam works well too.  I've never tried it, probably don't drill enough holes for ice build up to be a problem,  :'(
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Never lay it down. After I finish drilling the holes I put it in the back of my truck. I drill about 10 holes and there is already ice starting to build up mind you It was pretty windy and cold last weekend.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Hog, try my tricks.  I had to be smart because I had a hand auger.  The silicone spray before you take it out, and the spray lock deicer once you have build up.....prove me wrong, I have done it for years.  You want some type of water repellent so the water beads and drips off before freezing.  There is no silver bullet, but it does help.

Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline GrandrapidsGizmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Spray with Pam, then instead of laying it down drill another hole halfway through the ice and leave it standing up. Be careful not to hit water or the hole will fill up and freeze the auger in.Lent an auger to a buddy once(only once!) and he did just that-had to go back with a tiger torch to get it out.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:17 PM »
30 and Grand I will try it out this weekend

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:09 PM »
drill another hole halfway through the ice and leave it standing up

...I read it countless times on forums that, this is a big NO-NO, because you can bend the bottom flight "ring"

Offline GrandrapidsGizmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Been doing it for over 20 years, never bent anything! As long as it standing straight verticle, and not leaning to one side it will be fine. Of course, you cant do this at first ice, but as long as the ice is 2 feet or thicker you can stand it up.

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Spray with Pam, then instead of laying it down drill another hole halfway through the ice and leave it standing up. Be careful not to hit water or the hole will fill up and freeze the auger in.Lent an auger to a buddy once(only once!) and he did just that-had to go back with a tiger torch to get it out.

Good way for the next group using the area, to accidentally slip a foot into a partially drilled hole and hurt themselves.  Actually saw a guy once get his boot and foot stuck when he stepped into a partially drilled hole, others had to drill another hole beside it and then chip away at the two to get his foot out....funny thing was, he was the one who drilled the hole a few hours previous, he has never done it since.

Thought I'd pass it on.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I once saw a dude use a spray bottle and RV antifreeze...I mainly hate having the blades ice up to where they won't cut. :)

FF

He who hesitates is lost...

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Good way for the next group using the area, to accidentally slip a foot into a partially drilled hole and hurt themselves.  Actually saw a guy once get his boot and foot stuck when he stepped into a partially drilled hole, others had to drill another hole beside it and then chip away at the two to get his foot out....funny thing was, he was the one who drilled the hole a few hours previous, he has never done it since.

Thought I'd pass it on.
I agree....stupid thing to do especially when kids are out there too. Imagine a little guy running along then breaking his leg out there sometimes miles from help. Standing augers in a partially drilled hole should be outlawed......just like mining prospectors leaving test holes wide open out in the bush. Many accidents over the years made it a priority to fill-in many of those old test holes around the area I use to moose hunt. If water seeps into the icehole....you deserve all the grief on getting out a stuck flyte....that's when you'll bend it getting it out. Stupid with 2 o's (stoopid). I tried Pam....doesn't last or work well.....just keep it out of the snow and clean off the blade while still wet (safely...I use the plastic handle of my plastic scoop) and then put the cover back on....again for safety. A little common sense goes a long way in preventing a serious accident. Just my take on this. Geez, I'm starting to sound like the Safety Officer at work  ::)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:55 AM »
The Jiffy D-Icer Armor works not bad, still need to keep it outa' the snow.....even at -20, if you leave it in the sun it strips some/most of the ice off.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:17 PM »
The Jiffy D-Icer Armor works not bad, still need to keep it outa' the snow.....even at -20, if you leave it in the sun it strips some/most of the ice off.
Yes, my D'Icer Armor blade works the same way but after many years of use the special coating has worn off a bit.

Offline kilroy1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I don't stand my auger in half drilled holes...but if I did I would think the smart thing to do when the day is done is start the auger and finnish drilling the hole so it fills with water...I have also been having problems with ice on my auger and will try some of these suggestions thanks

Offline hogfather

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:00 AM »
i use rain-x on the blades works great.

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:15 PM »
I carry around a soft rubber mallet. a few whacks and the ice flys off. works best in really cold weather. I will have to try the sprays though, sounds interesting.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:26 PM »
I carry around a soft rubber mallet. a few whacks and the ice flys off. works best in really cold weather. I will have to try the sprays though, sounds interesting.
Mine iced up pretty good today....bringing my BIG mallet next time.....can be used for other things too  ;)
Good tip.

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Mine iced up pretty good today....bringing my BIG mallet next time.....can be used for other things too  ;)
Good tip.

Soooo. How was fishing???? You forgot to mention that. Don't keep the "OLD" guy in suspense :o :o :o zeus

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Got my flight in the tub melting right now. Gonna have to go shopping on tues for something.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:03 PM »
There's an idea, might take mine outta the garage and give it a shower first thing in the morn. We're renovating- don't have a tub.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Soooo. How was fishing???? You forgot to mention that. Don't keep the "OLD" guy in suspense :o :o :o zeus
Already posted under "Chalet Beach" post....nothing special to report..... very SLOW  ::)
Still no skunk for Blue....streak intact at 5  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.