Author Topic: Solar panels in permanent shacks  (Read 8450 times)

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
Solar panels in permanent shacks
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Hey , I am building an 8' x 12' shack on a trailer I had made. It's a dual axle trailer and the shack is permanently attached , drive on the ice drive off! I am using 3 12v rv lights inside the shack a 1 12v rv porch light for roof at the door. My plan is to insulate my bench seating , and have my 12v deep cycle boat battery used as my power source for my lighting and stereo. I also have 4 skylights in my roof which in 1 will hold a solar panel used to charge my battery. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can recommend a solar panel. I also have an eliminator battery I use 110v to run my tv.
A little more on the shack:
It is fully insinuated, and sided ,with a burgundy with white trim, door , gabel ends. I used rolled roofing , and have 7" chimney pipe attached to my wood stove going up through the roof. I am hoping to have 7 holes to fish out of ! I'll post pics if I ever figure out how too! Lol
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Solar panels in permanent shacks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:20 AM »
A little Solar info..a 15 watt panel about 3 feet long x 1 foot wide puts out about 1 amp maximum under the most ideal conditions( panel pointed directly perpendicular to the sun and following the sun all day).  Then during the winter months you have useable sunshine from about 930am to 230pm with no cloud cover or snow on the panel, so you "might" get about 5 amps out of it per day.  Now you're using a total of 4 lights which take a little over an amp each so roughly 6-7 amps, + your stereo which probably takes 3-4 amps, so somewhere around a total of 10 amps, give or take a bit.   So, I would say you're running a loosing battle, much easier to take the 12V battery home at the end of the day and put it on the charger and save the solar panel money for a spare battery or fishing gear. 

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:31 AM »
I would have a couple of batteries.
One that you are currently using, and one that is being charged.
It is not real good to be using a battery and trying to charge it at the same time.

You may also want to look into a small wind generator. 
Between the two systems, (solar and wind) you should be able to keep the battery topped off.

Here's a website with some interesting articles :

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarIceShack/SolarIceShack.htm

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:07 AM »
I think if you are going to tow it hope and park it i would plug it in and charge it with a small trickle charger much cheaper then solar panels And you could also wrap the batteries with heat tape to keep them warm and they will last much longer Just a idea :tipup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:32 PM »
I thought about solar panels and did a bit of pricing, but not much effort involved on my end. I put an on board charger in my drop down house and bought a small quiet generator. Probably the best move for my situation. I have seen solar panels on ice shacks and even towers with wind generators. I think the way I went is simpler and probably cheaper.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:12 AM »
I think I wont bother with the solar panels thus year and just transport my boat batery and keep it charger as well as my eliminator battery pack.. Its what ive been using all along and its been just fine,, Always trying to make something better eh !! nEVER SATISFIED !!!!
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:25 AM »
For me it kind of boils down to whether I want to spend my time on the ice fishing or screwing around with panels,towers and such. With my generator I drop my tailgate, pull a rope and add gas once in a while. For me, it would depend on the way the system is set up. :tipup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.