The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: "Souping Up" my power auger...  (Read 1876 times)

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
"Souping Up" my power auger...
« on: Mar 21, 2004, 10:34 PM »
I want to get more performance out of my Strike Master Lazer.  It no longer carries a warranty so I am not concerned about how many miles I get out of it.  Header Pipe, Governor Removal,  More RPM's...

I want to what these guys are doing...
http://icefishing../icefishingvideos.asp

I know many will say "You shouldn't do that" but I will anyway, so let it rip! 

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Souping Up" my power auger...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:34 PM »
Hey Darossman did you ever soup er up or what?? Come on man lets see some pics ;D :tipup: :tipup:

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2004, 09:53 PM »
Sounds sweet.Lots of chrome and a custom paint job to finish it off! Who cares if it would cut with a auger like that :D
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2004, 08:17 PM »
Yeah Yeah... Check it out here's what I did.  I went to an 80:1 fuel/oil mixture using 114 octane race gas and synthetic 2-cycle oil.  I also tore the guts out of the muffler so she sounds like a dirt bike.  I have not been able to lay into any ice yet.  So I will have more updates.  I got kind of spooked when I think about this little 2hp tecumseh.  I dont want the thing breaking a rod and throwing it into my chest or something. Ha!

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:27 PM »
Probably the most you will get for the least work is gov. removal, but I doubt that the intake or exhaust, even if modified, will be able to breathe well enough to spin it much faster than the governored speed.  The most work for some power would be to take the head of and mill it down (there are a lot of different calculations that must go into this for all to go well).  Of course this would require higher octance fuel, 110+.  As a free air motor, they are very limited in cooling capacity, so any increase in compression (more heat) will definately shorten engine life considerably.  I wouldn't worry about any higher octane fuel if you just gut the exhaust or do other simple mods.  Higher octance can actually cause lower performance in low compression engines.  Lots of guys used to try to do this on sleds, and it has been proven to be ineffective.  85 will be fine in most cases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.