Author Topic: tent or flip over?  (Read 3048 times)

Offline longtrack

• IceShanty Rookie
tent or flip over?
« on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:09 AM »
I'm debating weather to buy the sub zero tent style (made by eastman and same as ice cube) or getting a frabill flip over.I haul with a snowmachine or quad depending on conditions.I'm just wondering which style would be the most efficient as far as ease of use and less of a pain in the a** ???

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tent or flip over?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Flip overs are easier to set up and take down, tent's in my opinion give you more floor space to fish from with 2 or more people (half the floor on a flip over is taken up by the sled). Fishing by myself, flip over is the way to go, when I'm with other people, tent all the way. Just my thoughts.

The cube style tent's don't look to be that much of a hassle to set up and take down, once you figure out the technique.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:08 PM »
I have the small sub zero and a Frabill Trekker II.
If you set up in one place and don't move a lot the cube is fine but if you want to move around the lake hitting different places go with the flip over.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Ditto what Drifter said.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:19 PM »
If you set up in one place and don't move a lot the cube is fine but if you want to move around the lake hitting different places go with the flip over.

Me three 8)

I have a cube, and like Drifter said, if you stay put its good, and the wind can be a big factor in setting up and tear down. I would like an Otter lodge so I can just drill my holes and flip and fish, when I want to move, just pack up and flip then move. I would think it would be really good in the cold and wind too.

Offline longtrack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I have a large plastic tube sleigh, would the flip over fit in it? what are the dimensions folded down

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:59 PM »
The reason I like the flip-overs the best are 1) once you get to the lake you pretty much set it up once ( or in my case twice cause I set it all up and forgot to drill holes and the GF didn't want to smell exhaust fumes) but once you get the poles extended it's done until you want to leave for the day

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:17 PM »
I have a large plastic tube sleigh, would the flip over fit in it? what are the dimensions folded down

Almost all the flip overs are built on sleds already.
The exception are the pack shacks that are built around a folding chir thing like a camp chair.

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I have the frabill 6 man and now after some modifications I love it. It is easy to set up and knock down time is only about and no more than 2 minutes. Tons of room for 3 even 4 men with gear.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I have the 2 man sheppell and love it! everything is in one place, set-up is very easy and being mobile is a big plus.  to catch fish you need to be able to move a lot sometimes and the flip-over makes it very easy.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2010, 12:44 PM »

Almost all the flip overs are built on sleds already.
The exception are the pack shacks that are built around a folding chir thing like a camp chair.

I believe otter will sell the shack separate from the toboggan.

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I have the frabill 6 man and now after some modifications I love it. It is easy to set up and knock down time is only about and no more than 2 minutes. Tons of room for 3 even 4 men with gear.

I'd say tent all the way. I can put em up about as fast as the guys with the flipovers. Poles freeze, whatever, I can run and gun with the hub style.

I have one too, what mods did you do? I absolutely love that shanty but if there is some kind of mod, i'm listening.

Offline summit-viper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:06 AM »
i love my clam yukon tc, warm, easy to drag, all you have to do is flip it over and your ready to move
!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I think for the money the tents hold more people but require more time to set up. This would be very difficult on a windy day. I guess alot
of it depends on how many people you plan to fish with.
Fish on!

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:47 AM »
I'd say tent all the way. I can put em up about as fast as the guys with the flipovers. Poles freeze, whatever, I can run and gun with the hub style.

I have one too, what mods did you do? I absolutely love that shanty but if there is some kind of mod, i'm listening.
Well it started with the poles poping out of the hubs.....so I put on some JB weld on the pins in the poles inside the hubs....not an issue anymore.
Then the hubs started poping out of the fabric....the gromets were crappy so I brought my tent into a tent and awning company and they put in a reinforcement peace of fabric with a heavy duty gromet for 50 bucks.....now I havent any more problems.
I hope this helps!

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I have a Clam Thermal Base Camp. I went with a tent because it gave me way more room. I put the tent into a sled on the cold days, and I don't bother with a tent on the warmer days. Granted, when its a windy one like today, I would like the ease of the flipover style. The video on the Clam site showing the set up and take down of the pop up tent is done in a studio with no wind. Try that on the lake like I did today, and you'll nearly go airborne, no joke. So, its generally a tradeoff; the pop ups offer more interior room, they're generally a fair bit lighter too, but the flipovers are easier to set up and take down. Decide what's most important to you. For me, it was to have lots of interior space and easy portability. After flying my Base Camp a few times like the world's biggest box kite, I still stand by the pop up choice; the most versatile and the most space for me, even if it is more work to put up and take down. A flip over may be better for you.

C

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.