Author Topic: Wider runner for less drag on snow?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline zimmerDN

• IceShanty Rookie
Wider runner for less drag on snow?
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Does that make sense to anyone?  I see everyone is using 1" wide UHMW runners.  Why not go with something like 4-6" range so you get more of the UHMW in contact with the snow so there's less drag from the original plastic?  Or is this a unnecessary cost as the 1" is glides just effectively "OVER" thick snow?

The clam sleds are basically 80 lbs plows (with gear loaded) and when it's hand pulled it gets tiring really fast.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wider runner for less drag on snow?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:20 AM »
The UHMW runners are more like wear strips or when going high speed they will keep the toboggan tracking straight. There is a balance that you have to meet between narrow and wide, both are the way to go in certain situations. Narrow would be better if there is little or no snow, they don't create as much drag, wide SKIS would be better in deep snow as they give some flotation. But on a toboggan wide wouldn't help anything.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:28 AM »
The UHMW strips that everybody is installing on there sleds are for wear protection. If your pulling your sled over rough surfaces like paved roads or gravel you will wear the strips instead of the sled. I have tried different things like spraying Pledge or Armor All on the bottom and bufffing it out. That seems to help alot to break the friction. Just recently I got a set of snow skis and am in the process of building a sled that will ride my shanty a couple of feet above the ground for deep snow. Don't know how well it works but I have seen a few that have done it. So I guess You could use wider strips to do the same as skis if you were going to lift it. I do know there is a place that you can buy the UHMW cheaper than the kits you get from the Shanty Company's. Here's the link, Good Luck.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23217&clickid=redirect

Offline perch-pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:18 AM »
i put skis on my sled.the problem i first had was that i mounted the width of the sled.it was not really stable it wanted to tip if you were dragging it over a snowbank.i then re-mounted the skis wider than the sled 6"each side it works wonderful.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I used old skis on my Fishtrap Guide also.  Cheap or free and they work well.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:10 AM »
You're not thinking "Drag", I think with a wider "ski" you'd be thinking of more "Flotation" Which would help maybe keep it higher in deeper snow but it would have more drag if it wasn't pushing snow the whole way.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:21 AM »
i seen  a guy with iron runners but they were 2/3  feet up off the lake bout 2 in wide so there was no dragit looked to work great for him

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 AM »
More area will distribute the weight more evenly but a narrow and taller runner equals less resistance to pull through the snow.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2010, 01:38 PM »
You are right about clams pulling like a plow !!! I put skies on mine and it pulls with 2 fingers !!! best thing i ever did !!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.