Author Topic: Hauling your portable on the roof rack of veh  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Hauling your portable on the roof rack of veh
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:01 AM »
Has anybody done it succesfully?

Without taking into consideration of ice fishing I just got a 2005 GMC envoy but otter magnum doesnt fit into it and no room on trailer as I never considered I needed a 3 space or 4 space trailer    this is for a 6 hr trip   any other options gonna cost some serious change  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
Re: Hauling your portable on the roof rack of veh
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:23 AM »
I've had my fish trap 2 on top of my van a few times. I just wrapped it in a blue tarp and tied it down tight.
Those were only 1-2 hour trips at maybe 60mph max.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:54 AM »
I made a trip from minneapolis mn, to roy lake south dakota a week ago with an otter wild one man ratcheted to the top of my suburban.  Make sure you have the cover on the shack, and NO tow/pull rope tied to the tub.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:00 AM »
prob be smart to put the front of the sled to the rear of the truck  so wind doesnt go under as easy

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:25 AM »
Has anybody done it succesfully?

Without taking into consideration of ice fishing I just got a 2005 GMC envoy but otter magnum doesnt fit into it and no room on trailer as I never considered I needed a 3 space or 4 space trailer    this is for a 6 hr trip   any other options gonna cost some serious change  lol
Have you looked at those hitch carriers?  Not sure what the rating is or the price either - just a thought.

I'm going through the same type of deal with my "little" Ford Ranger.  Bought a new Frabill R-300 this summer and it won't fit in the back of the truck with the tailgate up and toneau cover on (too long and too high).  I guess I'm just going to have get a new truck for X-MAS  ::)  I have a trailer that it will fit on BUT.  I've been thinking about one of covered snow-machine trailers, that way I could but the shelter and my wheeler under cover (let me keep them outta my garage and ready to go.  Then use the back of my truck for all the gear that moves inside the house after each outing.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:28 AM »
well this year the van has died with 424,000 and i must fish out of my 78 buick regal. it will for sure be one expadition for sure. i plan on tieing the clam down on 2 by 4"s up on the roof. don"t know how it will work but have to trey because i can"t loose a season because of transportation.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I caught heck last year going to moosehead lake for 3 days and we were hit with one heck of a storm up here and I took the truck  (left her the plow) and she had to shovel by hand the driveway before going to work and after to get in the yard so wasnt a happy camper  Now if I know the weather will be good then I have no problems  in the back of the truck to haul it

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:54 AM »
Cover it with a tarp. You don't want the wind catching the fabric and stretching it.  Your probably gonna get horrible gas mileage too :P

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Cover it with a tarp. You don't want the wind catching the fabric and stretching it.  Your probably gonna get horrible gas mileage too :P
was going to eather way  truck 17 mpg max  then pulling a double trailer  crappy roads.....dont know about this new suv yet   but doesnt look good for that eather lol   was bought for comfort and the 4x4 needs of my neck of the woods

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:13 AM »
this will definately turn out to be one interesting year with no van.

Sell the envoy and get a pickup

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:16 PM »
I haul my Otter Perch on the roof of my Jetta. I bought the clamp on roof rack, mount the otter sideways, definitely have the cover on it. I use ratchet tie downs to secure it. You sure can feel the drag of it being on the roof. Luckily I have a sunroof so all I have to do is look up and see if it is migrating along the roof. It does a little. I sure wouldn't do past 60 MPH with it on the roof though.

Plus with it mounted on the roof it clears my garage door by about 1.5" so its a tight fit.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I haul my Otter Perch on the roof of my Jetta. I bought the clamp on roof rack, mount the otter sideways, definitely have the cover on it. I use ratchet tie downs to secure it. You sure can feel the drag of it being on the roof. Luckily I have a sunroof so all I have to do is look up and see if it is migrating along the roof. It does a little. I sure wouldn't do past 60 MPH with it on the roof though.

Plus with it mounted on the roof it clears my garage door by about 1.5" so its a tight fit.

When I was running around with a Honda Civic with the clamp on rack I ended up running the ratchet straps through the car.
I had an issue while on vacation in Alaska 2 years ago.  :whistle:
It sucks having to stop on the side of the highway to retrieve your roof mounted goodies!!!! Not to mention they don't fair too well flying off the car at 60 MPH!!!  :unsure:    :blink:
Plus it's kind of unnerving watching your roof rack/cartop hauler/pontoon boat follow you down the road in your rearview mirror, I had to speed up as it was starting to catch up!!!!  :woot:

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:49 PM »
I hauled my Eskimo Grand Caravan on the top of my Grand Cherokee.  ONCE.  I used the cover from Eskimo and strapped the heck out of it.  No problem with the trip, but let me tell you.... loading the thing while in the drive way at home was a bit of a pain in the @$$.

Now imagine this...,
11:30 at night
Somewhere on on the ice
-15F with a 20mph wind
After fishing (and enjoying a few beers)
Trying to get that thing back up on top of the @%# %*@# Jeep!

That was the last time.  I bought an old Ford F150 with a topper.  I only use for a few months every winter as my ice fishin truck.  It sits the rest of the time.  A truck with a topper has been GREAT!  Just leave most of the stuff in the back all winter.

Q

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:08 PM »
one of my kids suggested I put the otter magnum  across the seats of the snowmobiles and strap it down there  that might work even better

definatly no matter what I do its gonna say redneck by the time Im done  lol

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:15 PM »
  Duct tape it !  The handymans secret weapon.     :laugh:

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:25 PM »
If it were me.... I would try to fabricate up an angle iron and expanded steel frame to mount on the front of the trailer... above the 4-wheeler or snowmobile... whatever ya got. That will just be it's one and only home for the venture to and from the ice.

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Where's Mud&Fun's input on this? ;D

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2008, 01:19 PM »
When I was running around with a Honda Civic with the clamp on rack I ended up running the ratchet straps through the car.
I had an issue while on vacation in Alaska 2 years ago.  :whistle:
It sucks having to stop on the side of the highway to retrieve your roof mounted goodies!!!! Not to mention they don't fair too well flying off the car at 60 MPH!!!  :unsure:    :blink:
Plus it's kind of unnerving watching your roof rack/cartop hauler/pontoon boat follow you down the road in your rearview mirror, I had to speed up as it was starting to catch up!!!!  :woot:

Yeah, I saw someone lose thier boat on the highway once. He hit a bump in the road and the trailer just popped off. musta not been connected properly

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:09 PM »
 it's been said before, but i'll say it again. ice fishermen are very creative.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:33 PM »
last February i bought a mercury sable wagon  for fuel savings ... my dodge  4x4 with the 360 was killing me ... but to my surprise my trap pro fits in there great with my auger and bait bucket ....
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline dinosaur454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:16 AM »
I carry a Frabill "Hideout" on ladder racks on top of my Jeep cherokee. I can get it in the back but I can't turn my head to see to drive. 2 ratchet straps to hold it on the racks and 2 big bungee cords wrapped around the shack itself. Have done this for 2 years now with no problems. Don't have the cover for the shack haven't gotten that far ahead.
NAFC LIFE MEMBER

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:45 AM »
i have been using 2 rachet straps that hold my shappel and jet sled right on the roof of my 78 buick regal. now thats a site for sore eyes! i don"t even put anything under them, its just strapped rite to the roof.man if you guys could see me , you would laugh your ass"s off. iguess its all being part of hard core!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.