Author Topic: Erie  (Read 3481 times)

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Erie
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Hey all. I’m looking to plan a trip out to Lake Erie for some walleyes. Would anyone be willing to help me with a possible access point that is fairly user friendly? Never fished up there before. Also what is the typical transportation quad or sled? I know that lake can be sketchy with ice, but what would be the best time of the season to head up. Also and good lodging suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Erie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:16 PM »
when do you plan on attempting this trip? The main access point currently is Catawba state park, and thats because it has the only ice that has stayed locked in so far. And that might be changing here with the warm winds and rain coming tomorrow and thursday. If the cold weather on the backside of this storm is persistent and the lake continues to build enough ice to lock in the entire western basin(and hopefully the whole lake) there are many good access points that are all user friendly. It really all depends on the weather right now. Best time of the season is late feb and march when all the big girls are staging to spawn. But again we need some good cold weather to move in and stay in place to get us/keep us on the ice.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Check out the wind late Friday early Saturday morning..

Anchors ain't gonna do it...

https://www.windy.com

<°)))>{

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:27 PM »
plus the snow they're calling for, looks like a blizzard...
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:03 PM »
I was thinking of sometime mid to late February. I figured the ice should be pretty good by then given we don’t have a bunch of crappy weather. I’m coming from Iowa so I want to make sure it will be fishable for a few days. Thanks for the info.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:06 PM »

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:01 AM »
Pretty sure a huge, huge, piece blew out today??
<°)))>{

I was looking at the sat images too, and couldn't figure out what was going on there... Doesn't look like we are gonna get another decent picture for a little while either. I did see guys posting on Facebook pages that they were fishing yesterday.

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:29 AM »
I was thinking of sometime mid to late February. I figured the ice should be pretty good by then given we don’t have a bunch of crappy weather. I’m coming from Iowa so I want to make sure it will be fishable for a few days. Thanks for the info.

On average mid to late Feb should be your best bet on good ice. And I don't have any input on lodging since I'm spoiled and live so close to the lake. But I am willing to bet that once there is pretty good ice lodging fills up pretty quick. I'm sure there's some guys who can chime in on good a good place to stay.

Offline Duuber

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fish; Fish to Live
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Camp Perry might be an option. It is closed to ice fishing except if you rent a room on their facility.

Their rental rooms are clean and well taken care of.

Going off Camp Perry is some what more safe than Catawba State park on most occasions when there is ice.

I have provided the contact information below

Port Clinton, OH — Due to facility damage incurred as a result of excessive use during the 2014-15 ice fishing season, Camp Perry officials have determined it necessary to prohibit public use of the area for ice fishing from this date forward. Should conditions become feasible for ice fishing, parking access will be granted to guests staying overnight in a Camp Perry Lodging facility ONLY. Parking in designated areas will be authorized by display of facility-issued parking permits only. All others will be towed at the owner's expense.
Debbie Paul, Camp Perry Lodging and Conference Center
1000 Lawrence Rd. Building 600
Port Clinton, OH 43452
614-336-6215
[email protected]

Offline Duuber

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fish; Fish to Live
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I have attached a link below that is a live web cam shot of lake Erie looking West from the Catawba Island Club.

http://www.shoresandislands.com/webcams/

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:28 AM »
strong s winds today and tomorrow and warm temps= accident waiting to happen...Every yr we have ice we see it...Guys eager to fish throw caution to the wind...No pun intended.....

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I’m hoping to make it up mid February for a few days as long as weather / ice is permitting.   Hopefully the wind and this warm spell won’t be as bad as they’re calling for

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Starting fri nite cold temps for 5 days or so...I think the ice will stay for ya...

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I was looking at the sat images too, and couldn't figure out what was going on there... Doesn't look like we are gonna get another decent picture for a little while either. I did see guys posting on Facebook pages that they were fishing yesterday.

Fished Monday and Tuesday out 2 miles from Camp Perry.
10 -12 inches of good hard Ice.

Hope the snow stays away.
Hope the Ice stays as I plan on going back the end of January.

coop
Coopason

Offline team trouble captain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:37 PM »
how much are they charging for a night at perry ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.