Author Topic: 3rd Annual Youth Ice Fishing Day - Horsethief Reservoir 1/14/12  (Read 941 times)

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
I noticed there was some talk about the upcoming Youth Ice Fishing Day in another thread, so I decided to make a dedicated thread for the event. Attached is the link to the webpage for the day. The date is Jan. 14, 2012.
If any of you want to volunteer to drill holes, help with ice fishing technique, or anything else, please let me know. We can certainly use the help. Making sure baits or lures are being presented right so the kids are fishing effectively is usually the most needed job at these events. Those that volunteered last year (thanks again) can vouch that this is a pretty fun day for the kids.
We are encouraging everyone to carpool as much as possible. IDFG is doing their best to clear as much snow as they can, but we will still have limited space.
Let me know if you have questions.
Here is the link: http://sfwidaho.org/sfwidaho.org/Home/Entries/2012/1/14_Youth_Ice_Fishing_Day_-_Horsethief_Reservoir.html

Thanks!

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
From the flyer - that hand filleting the first and biggest catch of the day (19" rainbow hen full of eggs) and the orange dude in the background of the snowman pic sure do look familiar.   ;D

Thanks for confirming the date and providing the link Perch!  Will affirm as you noted that this was an awesome day getting the kids out and interested in the sport!  Hoping that the weather is as perfect as it was last year (perhaps a little colder to keep the slush away).  Looking forward to seeing/meeting some Shanty dudes there!
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wondered if you were going to notice "the hand".  ;D  Looking forward to seeing you up there again! The catch rates should be better at Horsethief so get your knife sharpened and ready.

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
I'll channel my inner "Wolverine" and be ready to slice and dice!  And just in case that's not enough, will see if I can store-use a Panhandler Fish Filleter or electric fillet knife.  Think we will have any panfish (perch, crappie) this year?  Only saw trout caught last year...  Are they (F&G) only stocking trout again?
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
My contact at Fish and Game informed me they are still trying to get the perch out of Horsethief. So I would imagine it's been trout stocking only.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
Hey Greenlife,

So sorry, I am scheduled to work that day. I work at the sugar factory and getting scheduled days off during beet slice is worse than pulling teeth. Hopefully can help out next year...

Hogger

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
will put on my calender did not know any perch still horsethief was there to today found fish just trout buddy had not been there . next trip is to cascade to find perch ;D ;D going out of sugarloaf
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.