Author Topic: Castable Fish Finders on the Ice  (Read 1109 times)

Offline BillyChuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Castable Fish Finders on the Ice
« on: Jan 03, 2021, 09:32 AM »
Anyone have any real world experience with either the Deeper or newer Garmin Striker Cast sonars?
I am debating getting one and looking for some Pros and Cons, especially around the performance of the cell phone or tablet you used with it.
There are others available but I have crossed them off my list. If you use something else and think I should reconsider, i would also appreciate that tip.

BC

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Castable Fish Finders on the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:44 AM »
I’m assuming you want to use it for ice fishing. I don’t know anything about the units you listed but I do know that I wouldn’t trust my phone to stay on for the length of time needed for ice fishing. Being in the cold is enough to drain it. Start running apps and it’s going to happen quicker. You could use an external power source but then you’re just spending more money and bringing more things. In a heated shack would probably be alright but cell phones HATE cold weather. For what it’s worth, I have an iPhone 11 but that doesn’t matter. All phones hate the cold. If you were constantly in a warm shack, that would be a different story but I like to save my phones battery while on the ice. You never know what’s going to happen and I want battery left to make a phone call. You could always use a spare phone I guess so your primary “digital safety net” doesn’t die on you. Personally, I’d save for an actual unit. I know they are still at the cheapest a couple hundred bucks but you won’t regret it and you’ll wonder why you ever considered getting the “toy” versions.

Having said that, I’m sure you’ll get a proper response on how they actually work and I may be totally wrong and they could be awesome. But, if they were, I’d suspect there around be more than few threads about them already.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:51 PM »
I've had the Deeper + chirp version for 3 seasons now. I'm very pleased with it. It's small light, fits in your pocket and is extremely accurate. It would never replace my primary fish finder but it is an excellent tool.
Battery drain on the cell phone is really not that bad. It communicates via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I have fished 12 hours straight with battery life left over. I do carry a small battery pack just in case.
The unit itself uses more battery than the phone, generally about 45-50% attheendofan8 hourday. I always charge after each outing regardless.
The app is excellent.  So many extras, including journal,  calendar, GPS and more. I can't speak to support as I've never had any issues. There have been several updates to the app.
As I said, it won't replace anyone's regular unit but it is a great addition. I generally place it in a tip up hole so I can monitor fish remotely.
The only concern I have is using a cellphone on the ice. I use a waterproof case to keep it safe and I can still use it through the case.
This is definitely not for everyone but it really shines as a scouting tool that fits in your pocket when you don't want to drag a heavier unit.
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline BillyChuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback ancman31!
I have a gift card and may buy the Deeper Chirp. plan to use it during and Ice season and replace an older Lowrance sonar I also used on my yak.

BC

Offline ScowHound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:32 PM »
Yes I'm thinking of getting probably the chirp one $299 ish?, wifi it to an ipad, then I can use it on small lakes/river shore/canoe during the summer. I don't have a flasher, but I have an old LCD graph that I use for ice, point is, for me I would buy the castable instead of investing in a flasher for the diversity of use. I believe ghe iPad is cold susceptible like the phone though, but I converted a cooler with 12v 7ah battery mounting my LCD graph/transducer and will install a 12 powerpoint to keep the ipad charged and see how it goes.
I fish. Therefor I am.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.