The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who Made This Portable Shack?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline rbinhood

• IceShanty Rookie
Who Made This Portable Shack?
« on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:39 PM »
In the 70s and 80s there were many portable shacks being used on Lakes Mendota and Winnebago that looked like a clear plastic bubble, or more accurately, an oval shape like an egg cut in half lengthwise. They were covered with clear plastic like visqueen and had 5 or more bent conduit supports that were all joined and hinged in the middle. The thing folded in half and when set up, one or two guys could sit and fish in it. Sunlight shined through it and warmed it up. What were  these shacks called, who made them, and is it still possible to buy one somewhere? Thanks.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who Made This Portable Shack?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:52 PM »
There was an older lady who lived across from my Parents house when I was a kid who had one of these shacks.  I remember seeing it and wondering if she ever ran low on oxygen while using it.  I have no idea how airtight the thing was, but sitting inside a plastic bag never sounded very smart to me.  I'm headed over to my parents this week and will see if i can stop in to see if she still has it in her garage.  She's up in age now so I doubt she would even use it anymore if she does.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline tapone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Who Made This Portable Shack?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2012, 03:53 PM »
I actually have one of these which my grandfather bought. The name on the tag of mine is "Kabinette" I am not at home at the moment (unfortunately in Fla. far away from my permy in N. Wisconsin) I can look at the tag when I get home if I remember... Mine is still in pretty good shape too!
Born to fish, fish to live..... gotta drink something so it might as well be a cold beer!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.