The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cabelas brand still hit and miss.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cabelas brand still hit and miss.
« on: Dec 29, 2014, 01:36 AM »
Not bashing here but after being bombarded with ads for 3 months I finally went to the dam store. First off they did give me a pro rated refund on a line counter reel from early 13. No more lifetime on anything other than footwear and clothing I think. I compared some cabelas binoculars that I was stoked about online. They sucked, although better than the best leo's and that was also disappointing. I picked up some cabelas rubber boots for ice fishing. Anyone have experience hiking in these type of boots?

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cabelas brand still hit and miss.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I don't think they're any better than a glorified walmart anymore

Offline htc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:56 AM »
i do buy a lot of gear there its generally competitively priced but nothing that is cabelas branded anything that says cabelas on it that i have used is JUNK.

-htc
The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.  - Harry Golden

Offline Eyefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2014, 04:38 PM »
I think that the store was a lot better when it was smaller and not so corporate. I still buy stuff there for convenience, but I do try to support the small local shops when I can.

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Bunch of over priced for me. Prefer Sportsmans warehouse

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:59 AM »

Ditto Eyefisher...

We have been familar with Cabelas since the "little store" up town Sidney. (not on I-80).. purchased many items over the years.  We have enjoyed many visits in the earlier years and received good service.  Now Cabelas has loss all dignity and reputation as a great store far as I am concerned.. and that is sad.  It has a big business profile now and nothing matters but the spin to make a buck.  I now shop carefully at Cabelas.  I too support the small business as much as possible.  Just as a side note I ordered from three places just before Christmas.  Just received email this morning that Cabelas shipped...the other purchases are enroute and delivery expected tomorrow.  All items were in stock.

Sportsmans Warehouse stood  against prairie dog shooting a few years back, I seldom darken there door either.  I believe we need to stand together even if it is not exactly our thing.  We as fisherman have dividing issues to watch as well. 

Just my 2 cents...tight lines everyone.   :tipup:

Offline lakerchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I have had similar experiences with Cabelas Guide Gear coats and snow pants. pockets seperating from the pants day one, zipper problems nonstop on the coats, customer service was excellent at the Cabelas store in Billings, but I wouldn't buy the stuff again, I think its made for people who don't actually get out of their truck....

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:08 PM »
People like us built that company . Now just like Walmart once  they are  BIG  , Customer service, products, go down the drain. ;D
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:59 AM »
While Cabelas may not have exactly what you are looking for all the time, I have to say I have NEVER had a problem with their customer service when it comes to returning items.

ClearCreek

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:13 AM »
When they only had the Sidney store it was an adventure to go to there store, now that they have expanded it's pretty ho-hum. When I'm in Rapid City we go to Scheels or Runnings. Havn't been in a Cabela's  for several years now.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2015, 04:13 PM »
I worked at Cabelas Corporate Headquarters for a number of years and worked right along side the product buyers. While many were great people, a lot of the company branded products come from them taking brand-name products over to China to have them duplicated/copied (with price point/profite margines occasionally taking priority over quality). The product buyers were at times novice at best in their product area. Of course there were exceptions to this, hence the "hit and miss".

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:19 AM »
When you buy really cheap stuff, you tend to get really cheap stuff @)

Overall, my experience with Cabelas branded stuff has been positive, with some real dogs and some great gear at a great price. 

But they always stand behind their products.  If something does meet my standards I return it, no questions asked.  And I find orders are received very quickly compared to other online retailers (esp Bass Pro).......

Offline coldfeet15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:11 PM »
You get what you pay for and unfortunately in my experiences with Cabela's brand merchandise it hasn't been good. They are good about accepting returns however. I'd just rather pay a little more and have a quality item I won't have to return.

Offline FishFam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:29 AM »
We don't like to shop Cabela's either. Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro have a better fishing selection, and we feel the prices are better at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Just about all of my heavy shirts come from Cabela's. I also have a great Gore Tex rain coat from them. I am pleased with their clothing, as is my wife, who has sweaters, boots pants and other clothing.  We both "get out of the truck"   ;D

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:26 PM »
I guess I have been one of the lucky ones.  I buy a lot of Cabelas stuff, and for the most part have had very good luck. If it doesn't work as intended, or the quality isn't there, I take it back.  Have never had an issue.
To those who are about to fish, I salute you!

Offline paandthewildman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Well said DORADO.

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Agree w dorado. And if you think the cabelas binos were better than leupolds best, you should get your eyes checked. The only way to get better is by going german. Imo

Offline WesternAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I've got a pair of Cabelas brand duck hunting waders, the breathable kind. They've been used extensively, I not only get out of the truck but I've waded miles into sloughs with those. Never had a problem. I also have a duck hunting parka that's been great. My wife has a pair of fly fishing waders from them that she really likes too as well as a backpack. I just bought her a jacket from them for Christmas and she likes it so far. We'll see how it holds up but she's already skied the backcountry in it pretty far from the truck. I ordered that less than a week before Christmas and got it in 3 days. Don't think I could have asked for better shipping. In fact another item that said it would be 10 days out arrived the same day as the jacket. Guess my experiences seem to be exceptional reading this thread but I've been quite happy dealing with Cabela's. They've also been great dealing with the few returns I've made.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.