Author Topic: Maxi ice?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline icewiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
Maxi ice?
« on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:13 PM »
    Wondering how the ice is holding up?Hoping to go out for wallys tomorrow nite one last time any info where to go and park would be appreciated.THANKS

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Maxi ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I was on Maxi Wendsday and could get on at the ramp. 6'' to 7'' of ice out from the launch.After rain today and tonight I would be very carefull.Also you can get on at the academy . I was not on there so can't answer you how the Ice WAS.Not sure where to fish for the eyes on the lake.If you go out BE CAREFULL :woot:

Offline splash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its how you thumb it that counts
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:21 PM »
drove down after i put all ice eq. away wed. out of boredum talked to 2 guys at academy bay parking.they just came from a group to the south about 100 yds said there was 6-7 in ice they caught a lot of dinks and gave up.
talked to a guy older than i at the bathhouse parking he and another were going out.said they caught walleyes,perch and smallmouth in 14 fow on tues and were goin to try to get back into them.
from that spot it looked like they were out 100-150 yds from the little patch of wood between the academy & the bath house.
they had a power auger about 8" holes said there was 6-7" of ice there.

good luck-be careful hope this helps

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Anybody been by the lake today?  I am going to go check it out in the morning.

Offline FARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Fished all day thursday threw the wind and rain, thinking it would happen and it did not ,ice was hard when i left but i bet u lost two inches that day , was soft by the seawall that night.Hope to make it out one more time.This was at the acdemybay.
Jim

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Anyone else park in the park by the lighthouse? This is west of the Academy and woods, thats where I park/  Would love to get out one more time and try it

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I was thinking about trying over there tomorrow depending on the ice, lots of eyes and perch over there in the warmer months.  I have grown bored with the Academy Bay.

Offline FARMER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:36 PM »
From the looks of it they  have pounded the bay area hard, lots of weeds and trash on the ice.Thursday was my first trip over their ever.
Jim

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Just got back from the lake, 5 guys on Academy Bay and 7 on the south end.  Checked the ramp first, no good ice on the shore maybe half inch.  I have no idea where the guys on the south end got on because the channels and marina have a bit of open water.  Went over to the Academy Bay and they are crossing a 2x12 from the seawall to the good ice.  18th street ramp is about 1/4" ice for 20 yards or so.  I parked at the beach and went out with my spud and auger, had to walk through the water about 6' out to get on good ice looked like about 2 1/2", I walked out about 20 yards checking with the spud as I went, drilled one hole and had about 3 1/2" of ice.  Looks nice and clear with alot of little air bubbles but didnt go out any further since I forgot my life jacket.  Gonna go out and fish tomorrow I think. Hopefully tonight will lock up the edges a little better.

Offline stanton21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:00 PM »
HAVE TO CALL YOU OUT.................b***h....

BEEN THERE ALLL DAY WITH NO FOOT PRINTS TO GET OUT ON THE ICE...

THE ONLY ONES ARE MINE..SEEN SOMEONE TRYING TO GET OUT ON THE ICE BUT KEEP GETTING A WET FOOT.

FISHED THERE FROM 9 AM TILL DARK WITH NO ONE AROUND.... COUGHT 40 PERCH KEPT 12 WITH SOME SIZE. LOTS OF DINKS ..ON THE VEX THAT WONT TAKE.. PLEASE DONT POST IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT...YOUR WORD IS.....crap..

FEAL FREE TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

PEOPLE LIVES ARE AT STAKE...

SHORE IS HOP ON AT BEST..YOU CAN STILL GET ON..
SHORE IS 3 INCHES BUT WHEN YOU GET OUT A LITTLE WAY IT'S 5 INCHES AS FAR IS I WENT...

ITS THE END..

SORRY FOR THER RANT.....BUT I WAS THERE...FEEL FREE TO STOP BY... I WILL STICK TO WHAT I POST..

BE CARFULL ITS THE END...

STANTON..
I'm standing right next to you and you don't even know it.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:17 PM »

THE ONLY ONES ARE MINE..SEEN SOMEONE TRYING TO GET OUT ON THE ICE BUT KEEP GETTING A WET FOOT.

FISHED THERE FROM 9 AM TILL DARK WITH NO ONE AROUND.... COUGHT 40 PERCH KEPT 12 WITH SOME SIZE. LOTS OF DINKS ..ON THE VEX THAT WONT TAKE.. PLEASE DONT POST IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT...YOUR WORD IS.....**censored**..

SHORE IS HOP ON AT BEST..YOU CAN STILL GET ON..
SHORE IS 3 INCHES BUT WHEN YOU GET OUT A LITTLE WAY IT'S 5 INCHES AS FAR IS I WENT...

ITS THE END..

SORRY FOR THER RANT.....BUT I WAS THERE...FEEL FREE TO STOP BY... I WILL STICK TO WHAT I POST..

BE CARFULL ITS THE END...

STANTON..

:ROFLMAO:  You people crack me up!!!!

Peoples lives at stake because someone posted???  What the h*ll are you talking about? 

Do you go ice fishing because someone posts that the ice is safe?  Are you unable to make your own determination on the condition of the ice?  If I tell you it is safe to drive your car off a cliff will you do it without making your own judgement on whether it is safe?

Take responsibility for your own decisions and actions and it does not matter what anyone posts on here.  If you go out and fall thru that is YOUR fault, not the guy who posted he fished there the ice was fine....

I guess ice fishing now mirrors society in general....it is always someone else's fault when something bad happens.   :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline bluegillmaster2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:25 PM »
i agree with stanton..
wax worm i have been reading your posts and gettin the idea your an explictive

you should never say the ice is safe when it is indeed not safe, it is your own fair judgment about the ice but im only 15 and i know there are many young people that use this site and they may just read its safe and go. how would you like to see a reply to the post that maxi ice is safe to read the funeral for a 15 year old kid and the rescue workers trying to save him the died is next saturday.

boz96 your irresponsible and immature, thats coming from a 15 year old. maybe you should think about what you say

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:38 PM »
Man, who needs an ole lady when We got this site?
Stanton= how far from the shore were you? how deep?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2009, 10:52 PM »
i agree with stanton..
wax worm i have been reading your posts and gettin the idea your an explictive

you should never say the ice is safe when it is indeed not safe, it is your own fair judgment about the ice but im only 15 and i know there are many young people that use this site and they may just read its safe and go. how would you like to see a reply to the post that maxi ice is safe to read the funeral for a 15 year old kid and the rescue workers trying to save him the died is next saturday.

boz96 your irresponsible and immature, thats coming from a 15 year old. maybe you should think about what you say

Bluegill...I don't know Boz or Stanton or you...but its not hard to see with smart mouth like that why your parents grounded you for lipping off to your teacher.  Looks like you have alot to learn still about manners, life, and responsibility for your own actions.  You are obviously a real piece of work.

If you can re-read...I don't see where Boz said the ice was safe....he reported what he said he saw and he left because he did not have a life jacket with him...smart move....He said he might come back tomorrow after it tightens up.  After cussing Boz out, Stanton reported he fished all day on 5 inches of ice.  Is his rant becuase Boz said he saw people out there and Stanton says there wasn't???  You weren't there and neither was I.  Only they know what they saw.  Let them argue over what they saw.

To say people's lives are at stake based on a post on here is stupid.  People that don't check the conditions themselves every time out are going to run into a problem....it is just a matter of time before it happens and we are reading about them in the paper.

If a fifteen yr. old reads this site and goes fishing because someone says it's safe, he has not been taught very well and shouldn't be ice fishing period...no matter what time of year it is.  His parents and the 15 yr old would be to blame.  The parents for letting him go and the 15yr old for making a poor choice....not the guy who posted he went fishing on the same lake a day before. 

No one wants to see a kid or anyone else drown from falling thru the ice, but to cuss someone out for posting what THEY saw on the lake is not a smart move and to make the accusation that they are somehow responsible if someone falls thru the ice is utter stupidity.

I have been ice fishing twice as long as you have been alive.  I am glad you are reading my posts....you may learn something that could save your life or at the very least help you catch some fish.

I have some advice for you......read more...post less.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:48 AM »
I would have to say that I would take advice from wax_worm any day of the week.  He's been doing this for many years.  We went out today and were cautious of the ice conditions.  We had checked out for ourselves and not from what someone has posted on here.  It's common sense.  People just need to learn to think for themselves once in a while and quit pointing fingers!

Wax has a lot of experience fishing and has been a great asset to my fishing this year with his advice.  I would like to thank you for your help and kindness this year fishing.  Good Luck on the soft water!!

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:51 AM »
Anyone been here out as of 3/01/09?

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:11 AM »

FISHED THERE FROM 9 AM TILL DARK WITH NO ONE AROUND.... COUGHT 40 PERCH KEPT 12 WITH SOME SIZE. LOTS OF DINKS ..ON THE VEX THAT WONT TAKE.. PLEASE DONT POST IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT...YOUR WORD IS.....**censored**..

WHO the hell are you to tell me what I did and did not do man?  And how do you leave footprints on solid ice?  I spent an hour driving around that lake at 8 am yesterdaY MORNING checking the ice for my OWN PERSONAL INTEREST.  I reported what I FOUND for the sake of people who may be an hour away and don't want to make the trip out just to see what I saw.  I didn't join this site to argue, I joined to gather useful information regarding a sport that I love.I don't know where you were fishing nor do I care, I hope there aren't too many more like you on this site, I just found it this year and thought it was a great forum until now.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:40 AM »
I've known Stanton21 from on here for along time and nothing against you other guys but i know he's safe, he's good, and one hell of a fisherman and has been fishing that lake for a long time. My moneys on Stanton21. He may not post much but he's there, and one hell of a walleye fisherman.

Tom
Tom

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:45 AM »
As for the 15 year old, I'm not even gonna dignify you with a response.
I was raised to respect my elders, right wrong or indifferent.
If I wanted to argue I would wake up my wife.
I am gonna quit wasting my time on here and go fishing.
Be safe everyone!

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Stanton,s never caught a walleye in his life, all snagged in the tail man. :woot:

I,ve got my three best guys on it right now....

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:05 PM »
I've known Stanton21 from on here for along time and nothing against you other guys but i know he's safe, he's good, and one hell of a fisherman and has been fishing that lake for a long time. My moneys on Stanton21. He may not post much but he's there, and one hell of a walleye fisherman.

Tom

No one is questioning what kind of fishermen he is or betting on one side or the other....just trying to figure out why he chose to attack and cuss out another guy for posting what he saw when HE went there.  Maybe he had too many adult beverages while chasing the perch yesterday on Maxi!?  I still can't see in Boz's post where he did anything other than report what he saw.  Anyone that read that post and got out of it that the ice on Maxi is safe, is nuts.  When someone is talking about open water, breaking thru at the shore, spudding there way out, walking a plank to get out and needing a life jacket the word 'safe' does not pop into my mind. 

Offline bluegillmaster2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:08 PM »
to wax worm and stanton- i realize it was not my place to call you out and say what i said. i have no proof of anything and if someone does go on the ice with out checking it just becasue someone says its safe then your right they dont belong there. i didnt mean what i said and if i could take it back i would. we all joined this site to talk about fishing not to descuss what is right and wrong to say. good luck and stay safe

once again sorry wax and stanton- sincerely stacy

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:36 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:   Seriously???  Come on fellas I know it sucks to be losing the ice, but this is wrong.   Did I accidently log on to to a teen-age chat site??    Wax,  boz, you are absolutely right.  DO NOT GO FISH BECAUSE YOU READ IT IS SAFE, GO LOOK FOR YOURSELF.   

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:20 PM »
i didnt mean what i said and if i could take it back i would.

You can click on "Modify" or "Remove" on an old post...
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Anyone been by  here today? IM going tommorow about noon til 6 , will post if I can get out, taking life vest and spikes, counting on this the last day for the year, never know though

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Got out today.3-6p.m. Started between Long Point and the beech .60 mile from the lighthouse. Couldn't get the perch to hit so I headed back towards the woods. Caught 1 shorty walleye,13 7/8. I thought after I got that first one, I was onto something. Nothing else. Had to get it out of my system. The ice was 5-6" very hard ice. The shore wasn't the best but I had no trouble getting out from the beech. Ice was Noisy like popcorn. Im pretty sure I was the only one out but can't see across that whole lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.