The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: sheepsheads  (Read 1008 times)

Offline timetwofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
sheepsheads
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:08 PM »
got a few sheepsheads (drum) can you eat tham ???

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
Re: sheepsheads
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:44 PM »
sure you can eat anything :P

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:42 PM »
Had a black guy tell us one time if you fillet them and soak them in vinegar over night and fry them up they taste good......  But then again i think if i soaked my socks in vinegar all night and fried em up they'd taste good too?? Never tried em, if ya do eat em make sure u let us know how ya cooked em and how they tasted!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Actually...sheephead (drum) aren't too bad.  They feed right long side the walleyes and catfish in Iowa and they are frequent incidental catches so their diet is decent.  I don't keep them as a rule, but I have eaten them.  They have very strong rib cages so canadian style filet techniques are the best.  Don't know about vinegar, but cut the red meat from skin side of filet (follows the lateral line) and soak them over night in cream or whole milk to pull the proteins (fishy stuff) from the meat.  They are comparable to bass in my opinion.  Pannies are better, but if you're short a few fish for a fry, keep a couple (smaller the better).  The neat part about them, the bigger ones have rocks in their head...I believe they are called otoliths from my bio days.  They give the fish their sense of being upright.  Ther are about almond size in big ones and look and feel like quartz.  Keep the heads and put them in a garden or somewhere the bugs will pick them clean.  When you shake them you'll hear them.  I used to collect them from dead ones on the beach.  Mom loved that.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:49 PM »
Only did it once,but would say it was pretty good,went out of Erie Pa. eye fishing and caught several 2lb sheepees,just took the shoulder meat off them and  cut strips about 3 or 4 inches long by 1/2 inch wide boiled them in old bay for 1 min.,and served hot dipped in melted butter or cocktail sauce. Poor man shrimp,the gang ate it all plus a three man ticket of fried eyes.

Offline carbidemanfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I tried it once just fryed it like i do the other fish.It had no taste it was like eating paper so i never tried it again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.