The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gill behavior  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
Gill behavior
« on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I have been told that the gills around here (south central MI) start spawning mid to late February. Is this correct? And more importantly will this hard winter have any effect on the timing?? I landed a couple gills the past couple days that are looking like they may have a few eggs in them so I tossed them back, not knowing. Anyway I have had a couple of really good days on a lake that I have been told is "hard to fish" and results in a lot of "skunk days."
Levi

Offline Budwinn42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gill behavior
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:20 AM »
I haven't seem any eggs in any of my Gils yet, I think they'll be spawning late this year. I usually start seeing eggs in em when they move a little shallower, or start to suspend consistently. I'm still pulling em right off the bottom so I'm thinking they'll be hangin on for a while.
Walk softly and carry a big spud

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Water temp is what starts the spawning, correct me if i'm wrong!

Offline Jig_Pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:30 AM »
Gills-Only...I believe the same thing, water temps starts the spawning. I am still pulling gills from deep water right off the bottom. I have caught some perch in the last week or so that have had a belly full of eggs.

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:22 AM »
The peak of the spawning season usually occurs in June in waters of 67 to 80°F. But I've seen spawning action in early may end of April! But most spawn beginning of summer!  ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Jigpounder  perch spawn soon after ice out that's why they are full of eggs now, also perch "show" more than gills!  I know each individual fish prefers their own water temp for spawning.

Offline Jig_Pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Your right about that. Their bellies were about ready to explode.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Was told by a old timer that perch come into the shallows to spawn to relieve the pressure on their bellies, don't know if its a tale or not!

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:08 PM »
The peak of the spawning season usually occurs in June in waters of 67 to 80°F. But I've seen spawning action in early may end of April! But most spawn beginning of summer!  ;D
This is when they are up on the beds in the shallows, at less that is when we find the eggs in them.. don"t belive I have ever had a gill thru the ice with eggs. But that is just me.
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I caught some carpies last weekend that had eggs in them. I thought of it as odd, but really do'nt know if its normal. Caught them in 20, of water.

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Perch spawn shortly after ice out and are full of eggs now.  Specks go next and are developing their sacks currently.  Gills are much later.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I caught some carpies last weekend that had eggs in them. I thought of it as odd, but really do'nt know if its normal. Caught them in 20, of water.
Perch spawn first in febuary march,then crappies march april and then gills may june depending on lake and area in michigan.So right now perch and crappies have eggs in them gills don't.But if we fish into April they probably will then.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:04 PM »
This is when they are up on the beds in the shallows, at less that is when we find the eggs in them.. don"t belive I have ever had a gill thru the ice with eggs. But that is just me.
I agree, never had gills with eggs through the ice. Summer is spawnin' time for gills!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:41 AM »
I catch gills in Feb Mar and April every year thru the ice that has eggs in them. The eggs are larger in Mar and April. Up here they are usually done bedding in shallow water by the end of May to the middle of June in shallow water and bed in deep water during the summer. I use to catch them on big lake all thru the summer off the beds in deep water. These beds were discovered while scuba diving by a friend of mine. He still catches them in the same area all summer.

Offline Gillchaser2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:24 AM »
It is the cycle of spawning, the perch move up first then the crappie, then the gills, then the bass.  all this by July that is what I was told
Anyone can fish , but ice fishing is much more than that!

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:08 AM »
It is the cycle of spawning, the perch move up first then the crappie, then the gills, then the bass.  all this by July that is what I was told

Wow I always see gills on beds in may-june.  after the bass spawn. Do believe pike do their thing in aril-may, cant rwmember.   Temps are not the sole thing to trigger the spawn. Moon phase and hours of daylight can trigger this stuff too.   I laugh everytime I hear a bass fisherman say they dont spawn until 65dwgrees.  Oh the crap fish spawn after bass, I mean dogfish,carp,suckers. Well the suckers can run first week of april in rivers but in chain lakes, it wasnt untill early june.     Let experience be your guide not some book.
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Have seen 'gills bed in early May but it usually happens with a long warm spring, Memorial Day time frame is more usual when all factors are right. Not uncommon to see them bed again in August if they bedded early on some lakes. Rather strange to be picking off quality 'gills in the heat of summer but these beds are usually 7'-9' where most people don't even notice it and are out in 20'+ of water wondering where they went

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.