The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: How do the new flashers compare  (Read 1550 times)

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do the new flashers compare
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:56 AM »
I think it varies for each person use and what features you want.  Some want zoom at any water depth....some don't need it and fish off bottom all the time....some just like latest and

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:48 AM »
yea im not lookin for the newest and greatest i just want the opinion of the laker guys on these units.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:24 AM »
My opinion, if you're fishing lakers mostly, a bottom zoom isn't all that necessary since they're suspended in the water column so much under the ice.  So you could save some money and get any of the flasher on the cheaper end of the spectrum, like a Vexilar FL-8, Marcum VX-1, Showdown, or Humminbird 35.

I think it varies for each person use and what features you want.  Some want zoom at any water depth....some don't need it and fish off bottom all the time....some just like latest and
^
What he said.  I fish a lot of tight to bottom fish, mostly perch and walleye.  A zoom feature is main thing I wanted.
If people only bought what they needed, probably no unit over $400 would ever sell.  It's all the extra features, and if people want them just to have them, use them some, and have the extra $ to get it, GREAT! 
The best buys though, are found in the off season, on used units, on craigslist, ebay, and online forum classifieds. 

I've had vexilar, and loved it.  Just wanted to see something different, so I sold it and am using my Humminbird unit off my boat with and ice transducer now, and I love it.  I'm sure if I had a marcum, or lowrance, I'd love them.  As long as they had the basic features I need, they'd all work great, and in my opinion are NEEDED if you're wanting to be productive on the ice.

Offline kzoocstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:47 AM »
I've got one of the old VPGs and had it updated 2 yrs ago or so, I've got alot of friends that use flashers and had them in the dash on several boats for just watching the depth, but I just really like the fact that I'm not staring at something that spins. The thing is easy to adjust and it has alot of adjustments you can do and I've never had any problems, batt. last a long time. All you have to do is watch the for lines, thin grey-just on the edge of the cone, thicker black- right below ya, I've used mine in 60' on one of the lakes here in Kalamazoo and was fishing right on the bottom and could see the seperation using a little fiskar, yes it's not colored but that damn thing works and works well. And it is just a matter of what you would want and how much you want to spend. I have looked ay the flashers, some really nice stuff out but I just can't bring myself to spend 400.00-600.00 when what I have ( cost me 200.00 at the time ) works great. Good luck in your search.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.