Author Topic: Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??  (Read 20693 times)

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
Re: Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:56 PM »
It was 9 below when we started fishing at 11 Mile today, but no wind made it bearable. Five guys and two kids and I had one bite and brought in a 19" pike and that was it all day. No bites... nada!!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:51 PM »
We're going to Skaguay on Saturday. Taking our wives and kids. Looks like a fairly nice weather forecast.

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Went to 11 Mile today and caught three fish.  :) The rainbow was 19" and the kokanee was 18.5". At least that what another fellow told me it was. Let me know if you can identify it, OK. Wish the pike was 15 pounds instead of 15 inches.  ;D Weather was a lot better there today than in the Springs. Said high in town was only 7 degrees. Sunny all day at 11 Mile and the wind went from calm to not so bad.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice fish, the top 1 is a cutbow, if you see the orange slash just under the gill, the other one is a rainbow. Good job man.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:51 AM »
We caught around 30 rainbows and one 10" pike at Skaguay on Saturday. Used red and white mealworms on small jigs, but multi-colored powerbait got the most action. Kept a few of the bigger ones and released the rest. Biggest was close to 15 inches with a few between 13 and 13.5". We had two tipups out with sucker meat on quick-strike rigs but no takers. Three guys, two wives and four kids! Everyone caught fish and the kids had a ball fishing and sledding on the hillsides. This is a great lake to take kids fishing. Quite a few people on the lake and everyone I talked to caught plenty of trout. A little chilly at times with the wind and cloud cover. Snowed most of the way to the lake and roads were snow packed.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Nice fish, the top 1 is a cutbow, if you see the orange slash just under the gill, the other one is a rainbow. Good job man.

They are both rainbows, I dont see any evidence of an orange slash.   IMO- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Heading up to 11 Mile Saturday. Hear the Kokes have been biting. Haven't decided where to try. Just figure need 40' or better from everyone's posts on the Kokes forum.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2007, 11:42 PM »
Brian and I fished Rogers Mtn. from 8:30 till 4:00. Not one bite. Did see three 30" northern or maybe the same one three times! Oh ya, I didn't get skunked as I pulled in a big ol' crawdad eating on my sucker just as we were leaving tonight. DOW checked us mid-afternoon and he had only seen three trout and one northern on the ice. Lots of people out all over the lake. Beautiful day with sunshine, no wind and temps probably in the mid twenties. Got home to find out it was cloudy, cold and snowy all day. Isn't it great to be an ice fisherman!!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2007, 11:50 PM »
More good news! My wife told me a friend with a daughter in my son's class called earlier and wants to go ice fishing Sunday with the kids. She said I better call back because Jonathan wants to go ice fishing with his friend.  :clap: I reluctantly agreed.  :whistle: So the four of us are going to Skaguay in the morning to catch lots of trout.  :thumbsup:

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2007, 12:01 AM »
Sounds like fun,  Good luck.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm, But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Hey grncreek,

Were are you from? If your close to the Springs your welcome to come on along.

Prairiegoat

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2007, 02:55 AM »
Thanks for the invite.  The wife already made plans for us  :-\  I think, Monday I'll try and get out to either chatfield or 11mile.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Hit Skaguay today. Two guys and a six and seven year old. Beautiful weather high 20's, but some strong winds at times. Overall just a gorgeous day to be ice fishing. Lots of people on the ice but slow action. We only caught four small trout all day but didn't feel like walking a half mile to the honey hole. Kids had a blast and that was what today was all about. There are serious times and there are days like today to just enjoy the company of friends!

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:37 AM »
hit 11 mile on sunday. went out of lazy boy and only landed 2 trout. had two other really light bites and that was it. did see a lot of people out most of which left by 1pm. so maybe 2 trout was a good day? still had a blast out on the ice with my gf and dog. it was chilly in the morning, 15 below, but the sun came out and with no wind to speak of made for a nice day.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:02 AM »
Grncreek,

Did you make it out on Monday? If so hope you did well.

Prairiegoat

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:07 AM »
Yes I made it out to eleven mile.  Had a real slow day.  Went out towards deer caught a few koke's then back towards witchers for trout and pike but never saw a fish. I wound up moving to howbert and marked a couple fish.  Had one bow take a swipe but didn't get a good hook set, and one pike hovered around my jig for at least five minutes but those were the only fish I saw all day.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:40 PM »
How deep were the kokes? If you don't mind sharing, what did you use?

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:07 PM »
Hey Prairiegoat,  I sent you a PM.

Offline Kevin21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:01 PM »
I'm going up on the Grand Mesa this weekend to fish.  Eggleston Lake probably.  Will do a little snowshoing, sledding, and snowmobiling also while up there. 

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Hey Prairiegoat,  I sent you a PM.

Hey Thanks!

Probably going up Saturday or Sunday. Will let you know how I do!!

Offline mountainscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2007, 02:48 PM »
We are planning on going to Seaman Reservoir just beyond the mouth of the Poudre Canyon. We've heard some good reports of Perch activity as well as some monster trout. The wind may keep us off though, it's supposed to be 25-35 mph with 50 mph gusts.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Went to 11 Mile today. Cold and windy early but turned out nice. Was going to Witchers but they had the road blocked to all public access. Got high centered in one drift and had to shovel out. Good action, but didn't land three trout I had hooked. Had them near the hole but all three got off. Two were 20" or better and one about 16". Saw what looked like a 7, 8, 9, 10# trout sniff the bait and leave. Judging from the others I saw this one was nearing 30". Don't know how to really judge trout weight, but man this was the biggest trout I've ever seen. Best show was when about a 16" trout was playing with my jig and left real fast! Right behind him was a northern probably 36" or better. What a sight. Just getting ready to leave when I had a 18" northern hit my tip-up. So caught one fish, but what a day!

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:13 PM »
A buddy and I went up today,  did fairly well, kind of the same story as you.  Couple big ones went through early, fairly constant action throughout most the day with 18" to 24" bows and cutbows.  Kept four between the two of us, couldn't seem to catch anything smaller than 16".

Heres a pic of my friend with todays catch.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Hey, nice ones, but what's over by the stove looks like it'd go down pretty smooth!  ;)2

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Prairiegoat - My friends and I are going down to 11mile this saturday feb 10 for some fishing. where did you go and what were you using if i can ask. i'm a newbie so i need a little more detail so i can run to sportsman warehouse and stock up on some goodies.

Grncreek - what did you use to catch those trout and where were you?

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:00 AM »
BZBOY,

I have best luck on trout using small pink colored ice jigs tied directly to 4# Cajun Red and tipped with white wax or red worms. If you're in the Springs, the guys at Sportsman pretty well know which jigs work best. Been fishing around Hoberts and Rogers on the south shore in about 10' of water, but guys around fish deeper and do OK too. I like to watch the fish almost as much as catching them! For northern I use a tipup with a quick strike rig (plenty of info on the site on how to build them) and suckers between 1 to 2' off the bottom.

Grncreek is the Koke man! Gotta get out in deep water for them.

If you see an old blue Jeep, that's me. I'll be in a Cabela's shanty. I'm pretty sure I'll be up that way on Saturday. Stop by if you see me there.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Prairiegoat - My friends and I are going down to 11mile this saturday feb 10 for some fishing. where did you go and what were you using if i can ask. i'm a newbie so i need a little more detail so i can run to sportsman warehouse and stock up on some goodies.

Grncreek - what did you use to catch those trout and where were you?

We were out on the north west side of deer island.  Like Prairiegoat said pink works well tipped with waxie or meal, but I always have white and chartreuse as a back up for 11 mile.  1" tubes or marabou from 1/32 to 1/8 seem to always treat me well.  If you want to go for trout, I would try the area Prairiegoat mentioned.

For kokes I've had good luck this year parking at witchers and walking out past deer island.  I usually walk about a quarter of the way up deer island from the west corner than out towards the channel about 150-200 yards.  I've had the best luck on Swedish pimple size 4 in silver/pink or silver/chartreuse tipped with shoe peg or a waxie.  Try fishing from 20 to 30 feet down,  I like to make a sharp pull up, then let the pimple flutter down to a sudden stop and let it sit for about 5 seconds minimum.  IMO, a flasher is extremely helpful in targeting kokes.

Let us know how you do.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Went out shopping for some stuff this weekend and was sad to find out that Sportsman Warehouse has only 1 eskimo gas auger for sale, Dick's sporting goods has 1 strikemaster 2000, and a local store had only 1 strikemaster only too. I was really hoping to find a Jiffy. Picked up some wax worms and 1 swedish pimple size 4  ;D.

See you guys out there on saturday. I'll be in the Gander Mountain Clam with BZBOY proudly displayed on the side.

Offline grncreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:10 PM »
I was at bass pro last Saturday,  they had a couple jiffys on sale not to sure what model I just glanced but either a 77 or 79.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #58 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:11 AM »
My wife, son and I are leaving the house headed out for a day of ice fishing at 11 Mile. Weather forecast nearly 50 in the Springs; so should really be nice at the lake!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #59 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Got on the lake between Rogers and Howberts before 7:00, but I think should have been there earlier. Saw a 36" plus northern as soon as first jig hit the water. He looked it over and left. Had some nice 20"+ trout come to pink jigs and my wife caught a smaller one on a yellow bucktail. She had another really big one hit but it got off. This all happened in the first hour or so and after that a couple of trout went by, but no action whatsoever. Did manage to land a whopping 4" crawdad hanging on my tip-up sucker! So technically I didn't get skunked.  ::) ::) Left around 2:00. Talked to a few others out on the ice and they said it was slow too and some heard Friday was really slow also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.