Author Topic: refilling the small green LP tanks??  (Read 24200 times)

Offline deerjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
refilling the small green LP tanks??
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:16 PM »

Is anyone refilling their small green LP tanks from a 20# tank??  What proceedure are you using???  I used to see a fitting marketed for use between the 2 tanks, but I've not seen one advertised lately??  DEERJOHN

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: refilling the small green LP tanks??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:25 AM »
 it is illegal to refill them plus dangerous after use the warnings are clear on the tanks

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:49 AM »
I have been doing it for a couple of years. I think I got the fitting from Cabela`s. Basically you attach the fitting to large tank. Cool 1# tank. screw small tank to fitting already on large tank. Flip big tank upside down, and open for 1 minute. Works good on Coleman 1#ers, but no names don`t seem to fill some times. Definitely saves some $$$.

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:55 AM »
I just bought the Mac Coupler from Cabelas. Had problems getting them to fill at first (was only getting 1/3 full) but i got it figured out now.

1. Make sure big tank is at room temp (set inside for a day)
2. Chill little tanks in freezer for awhile
3. Connect little tank to coupler
4. Turn big tank upside down
5. Slowly open valve on big tank
6. Let fill for 1 min 15 sec
7. Close valve on big tank
8. Stand big tank upright and remove little tank

As i said, i was getting bad results at first. I think what i was doing wrong was not having the big tank at room temp and opening the valve too quick. Now i am getting 3/4 full tanks and think this is one of the best things i have bought in a while. Definitely worth the investment IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270326574292&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=270325612563&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

http://www.pbcentral.com/cgi-bin/apf4/amazon_products_feed.cgi?Operation=ItemLookup&ItemId=B000SALJEI

http://outdoorsportssuperstore.com/010-3400931-B000SALJEI-Mac_Coupler_Propane_Refill_Adapter.html

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:57 AM »
I believe the 1# tanks are supposed to be "disposable" so if you refill them and something goes wrong, and you or someone else gets hurt.....IT'S YOUR A$$!!!...ie....you don't have a leg to stand on in court...not worth it to me... :( WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:29 AM »
I question why they would make a adapter available to the public to refill the 1 lb tank if it were that dangerous.  I suspect that the regulatory agency that over sees the industry deems the adapter safe or they would restrict the sale and use of the adapter. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:42 AM »
 It`s legal to fill them,but illegal to transport them in your vehicle as far as I know.

Bob

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:33 AM »
It`s legal to fill them,but illegal to transport them in your vehicle as far as I know.

Bob

That's how it is in WI. And I wanna say that is a D.O.T. law, so it would be like that nationwide.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Good on ya! You keep on filling those tanks and save the planet. I'm so tired of living in a world where everything is used up and "disposed" of or should I say "relocated" to a landfill.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:26 AM »
I question why they would make a adapter available to the public to refill the 1 lb tank if it were that dangerous.  I suspect that the regulatory agency that over sees the industry deems the adapter safe or they would restrict the sale and use of the adapter. 
the
adapter is a simple fitting ,the problem with the tanks is there is no turn shut off,it's a internal value that is not made for multi use! ever unscrew a tank and have one leak?another problem is with the tank itself,fuel grade propane has alot of moisture the fuel from manufactors is very dry! small tanks rust threw inside out and theres no way to see it happening!

the law about transporting is a federal law with a possiable 10,000 fine!

how ever there are tanks made which are refillable if you want them they cost a little bit at first but if you keep refilling it is cheaper.

as far as the adapter being sold ,small flowers are sold in glass tubes that crack heads buy and use for pipes,some people have no morels when it comes to money,and are willing to sacrafice your safty for a few dollars
                                                                                                                                be safe
                                                                                                                                trap

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:32 AM »
Have been filling those things for years.  $10 to fill a 20 lb. tank or $5 for 1 lb. tank makes the decision pretty easy.  Have only had one leak and it was a pretty rusty old one, just hooked that one up to the heater first.  I try to discard them when they show signs of wear. 

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Lot of worry warts posting.I find the one pound tanks are good for about 4 or 5 fillups before the valve starts leaking . The leaker i will connect it up to heater and when empty i get rid of it

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:05 AM »
There are much more dangerous things we all do in life than re-fill little propane cylinders.........like walking out on some possibly dangerous ice and sitting there fishing. Just my perspective on the topic. If you use the same level of common sense and safety when dealing with these canisters its fine.

Question for you guys that re-fill, does the valve work with the new style 20 pound tanks. Mine have some kind of a safety built into the valve assy. Would it still work with the tank upside down? I used to have a fitting for the old style tanks but nowhere locally will fill them anymore for me. Still looking for the refill adapter to fit the new style 20 pound tanks.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:09 AM »
the new tanks still have the internal reverse threads on the valve. Anything that fit the old tanks still fits the new tanks.
    Seriously...has anyone ever heard of anyone ever getting hurt with a 1lbs propane tank???? I plan on getting one of these valves myself now that I have a Buddy heater.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I'm about to purchase a Buddy Heater and I'll be refilling those 1lb cans, you bet.  What the heck, they only hold a quart of LP when "full"  Not any worse than carrying a little gasoline around for yer auger.  I'd say the propane is a bit safer.  I just won't transport them ???

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:27 AM »
I have been doing this for a few years. That fitting paid for itself 10x over. Make sure you freeze the small tank first, that's the only way it works right. I got mine at a local camping store for $10. Im not sure if cabelas has the fittings, but I think the sportsman guide sells them. Unless the tank you are refilling is rotted out, I think it is pretty safe. Here are a few links I found.

http://www.heatershop.com/1lb_probane_bottle_fill_kit.html

http://www.truckspring.com/maccoupler-1-lb-propane-tank-filler-maccoupler.html

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Coupler-Propane-Refill-Adapter/dp/B000SALJEI

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Not any worse than carrying a little gasoline around for yer auger.  I'd say the propane is a bit safer.  I just won't transport them ???

actually you're right, gasoline is one of the most volatile explosive substances known to mankind and it is usually treated no safer than water. How many of you folks that think this is a bad idea carry a gas can "in" thier car/truck or keep in your garage? All also illegal in most places.
    There is only 1 reason IMO why these bottles are not advertised as refillable. MONEY 1) it costs money for safety studies/certification etc and 2) less bottles would be sold
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:40 AM »
     Decompression causes condensation and very fast cooling - to the point of freezing possibly jamming the valve and gas port causing rapid leak of liquid fuel/gas. Never had a problem with a 1 lb tank but I worked at a plant where the entire building had to be evacuated due to improper changing of a gas tank on a forklift. Seems that the Feds wouldn't have passed DOT regs requiring new valves on refillable LP tanks just a few years back if they thought it wasn't a potential hazard. I have seen a drunken Yahoo throw a "almost" empty 1 lb tank in a campfire. If you are determined to refill these disposable tanks please don't do it in the house or garage but outside where escaped gas will quickly dissipate and you're away from ignition sources. The 1 lb tank going up would be no picnic but if the filler tank jams and leaks that fuel into an enclosed space and it ignites due to a spark or a pilot light the building will be gone an so might anyone inside. LP gas is heavier than air and will collect along floors and settle in basements often where furnaces and waterheaters are located. IMO it's not worth risking mine and my families home or their lives.
     P.S.  I have 10 years in working for Fisher Controls in their service branch in valve repair. I am very familiar with pressure vessels, valves and their failure.

Spin

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:53 AM »
 gas ,propane  which is more dangerous????? ...a explosion is a explosion!!!! if you decide to not follow simple safty instructions your asking for trouble,thats up to you! ask your fuel man why he won't fill a bottle! he'll tell you it's dangerous,again a trip to dicks or gander mtn sports cures the problem get a refillable tank!!! my post are for people that have a honest question about why they shouldn't refill a non refillable tank,simple truth.you can find all the information on this  on the internet ,there are reasons why manufactors and propane dealers warn agaist this,it's for your safty and the safty of others.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I think we are headed for the "grumpy old men's" shanty pretty soon.  :roflmao:

Offline goosehntr_69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Benn filling them for years as well.  Only ever had one leak on me, took a nail and moved the little plastic valve in the neck, and it sealed back up.  Threw it away after it was empty.

Bought mine at Cabala's for $25, and I would bet that it has paid for itself 20 times over.

They have a pop-off valve on them.  I don't think that you can get them full enough to blow by gravity filling them anyway.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I just bought an adapter at Harbor Freight for $19.99 the other day. I know it isn't as safe to fill a cylinder as it is to buy a new one. I have played paintball for years (yes I know CO2 and Compressed air aren't flamable) But dealing with pressures and weights are going to help. Just be smart when filling and use a soapy water solution to check your 1lb tank after filling. ( bubbles = BAD ) let the tank drain off, or use it rightaway. You can also tip the 20lb tank so the valve is facing upwards and empty the 1lb tank back into the 20lb. ( Gravity ) Will save money and waste, which is always good!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:35 AM »
GrnDay33 just so you know you can go to any store that carrys pack packing supplys and get a safe refillable tank! thats why i can't understand why people would even consider indangering there lives for a few pennys, eastern mtn sports,gander mtn,and dicks all carry them!!!! at the current price of propane  verses buying a tank your risking yer life for about a buck and a quarter(price of a candybar).

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:20 PM »
GrnDay33 just so you know you can go to any store that carrys pack packing supplys and get a safe refillable tank! thats why i can't understand why people would even consider indangering there lives for a few pennys, eastern mtn sports,gander mtn,and dicks all carry them!!!! at the current price of propane  verses buying a tank your risking yer life for about a buck and a quarter(price of a candybar).

these refillable tanks, are they also the 1# size? do they come full? if not would they need to be purged? how much are they? thanks guys

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:23 PM »
 i believe they come in one pond and two pound and can be filled anywhere you get your 20 lb tanks filled

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I made a setup to-day i can fill my 1 lbers and i can unscrew 1 fitting and i can fill a 5 lber off of my 20 lber. you can do the same if you know your brass fittings

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:16 PM »
I just bought the Mac Coupler from Cabelas. Had problems getting them to fill at first (was only getting 1/3 full) but i got it figured out now.

1. Make sure big tank is at room temp (set inside for a day)
2. Chill little tanks in freezer for awhile
3. Connect little tank to coupler
4. Turn big tank upside down
5. Slowly open valve on big tank
6. Let fill for 1 min 15 sec
7. Close valve on big tank
8. Stand big tank upright and remove little tank

As i said, i was getting bad results at first. I think what i was doing wrong was not having the big tank at room temp and opening the valve too quick. Now i am getting 3/4 full tanks and think this is one of the best things i have bought in a while. Definitely worth the investment IMO.

As a 30 year career firefighter I can tell you that this is a very dangerous procedure. You should NEVER store a full lp tank (or any lp tank for that matter) indoors. You are asking for trouble especially if you have a central heating system in your basement. LP is heavier than air and if there is a leak, the gas will seek the lowest level. Furnace ignition or even turning on a light switch could cause an explosion. You are asking for trouble. I repeat, DO NOT store LP indoors!!!

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:30 PM »
so to be on the safe and cheap side, take the small canisters to work and fill them off the forklift tanks. much easier if your on 3rd shift ;D

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Why don't you guys just get the adaptor hose that connects to the 20lb tank and has the same threads as the 1lb tank on the other end. By using this you have eliminated the 1lb tank completely, no need to refill the pounders.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Why don't you guys just get the adaptor hose that connects to the 20lb tank and has the same threads as the 1lb tank on the other end. By using this you have eliminated the 1lb tank completely, no need to refill the pounders.
Cause it weighs 19 + lbs more ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.