Author Topic: 2010 Champlain walleye Pics  (Read 13602 times)

Offline Wes_G

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2010 Champlain walleye Pics
« Reply #60 on: Apr 11, 2010, 09:49 PM »
THEY TASTE BETTER WHEN U DONT LET THEM GO! ;D

They also taste even better when they are half the size.........

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #61 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:28 PM »
nice eyes but a terrible way to ruin a fishery, I've seen hundreds of people do just the same and noticed the fishing deteriorate. After having a cabin at tobin lake, sk and fishing it for 20 years i've seen the days when you could catch no smaller than a 20" walleye and a ton between 24 and 28" every day to catching the odd one 28" and larger, I'd had days where in 15 minutes i would catch 3-4 between 26 and 32" weighing between 6.5 and 13lbs. The application of a slot limit has brought the size back up noticeably for the average and its starting to come back for the lunkers, take a picture and throw them back, they don't taste nearly as good as the little ones from 1-2.5 lbs.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:39 AM »
nice eyes but a terrible way to ruin a fishery, I've seen hundreds of people do just the same and noticed the fishing deteriorate. After having a cabin at tobin lake, sk and fishing it for 20 years i've seen the days when you could catch no smaller than a 20" walleye and a ton between 24 and 28" every day to catching the odd one 28" and larger, I'd had days where in 15 minutes i would catch 3-4 between 26 and 32" weighing between 6.5 and 13lbs. The application of a slot limit has brought the size back up noticeably for the average and its starting to come back for the lunkers, take a picture and throw them back, they don't taste nearly as good as the little ones from 1-2.5 lbs.

If they came as small as 1-2.5 lbs those would be the ones to keep, BUT i have yet to catch or see someone catch a fish under 4.5 lbs through the ice. The lake is producing more and larger fish each year (the new state record walleye caught in 2010). There is no doubt that keeping any nice fish wether it be a perch or a walleye has some effect on fish populations. AND just to top this whole thing off its Lake Champlain (435 square miles!), not some small 500 acre lake. There is only a handful of us "religious walleye fisherman" that fish during hardwater season. Just to throw out a number i would have to say maybe 50-100 people on the entire lake! I think being able to keep a few nice fish especially during our first outings of the year should be expected and OK. I have no regrets, and i cant wait to pull the first one out of the hole in my 2011 season. Good luck to all of you.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #63 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:44 AM »
i would have to say that the walleye population and size have been on the increase the last 3 to 4 years with better looking fish and more being caught so im confused on how this is hurting the fishery?
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline PikeCatch104

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #64 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:49 AM »
nice catch u got there id love to go for pike out there!! ;D

Offline TEAM RECOIL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:39 AM »
great pics!

Offline barnze13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:05 PM »
ive read this whole thread, and i completely agree with fishstalker. dont know him one bit, have never talked to him- but the man posted these pictures to display what monarchs live under the ice on champlain, and any other walleye lakes in new york! he has every damn right to keep his limit- whether they be 1-2.5 lbers or 14.55 pounders. if youre spending enough time on that godforsaken lake- you have every right to keep those fish.  i dont see very many people catching loads of fish anywhere i go? i include myself with about 50 other men/women that dedicate themselves to hardwater season on the great sacandaga lake- and we earn every walleye we catch.  and to whoever had something bad to say about these pics- you must not be catching enough fish, because you're grumpy as all hell.  so maybe you should spend some more time out on the ice practicing so you can back up your talk of nonsense.  and also- who the hell lets out a good fishing spot they know of? 1 guy on here. one guy.  listen man- if you know of a good spot where theyre catching all these lunker eyes', why the hell would you broadcast it to hundreds of thousands of people on the net? you must ice fish on that lake around there and you know where this guy is catching them- looks like you know how to spoil the fun for even yourself.  try to type posts with a little less ignorance and arrogance.  also, you're simply showing the inner little boy in yourself that hasnt grown to be a mature man yet.  grow up and shut your mouth- these fish are gorgeous. dont sweat it fishstalker, the people who dont appreciate your pictures are just jealous pard.  :tipup:

Offline Fish-N-Chicks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Gotta love walleye fishing!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.