The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island report  (Read 2188 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island report
« on: Apr 06, 2014, 04:03 PM »
So I got on the ice (still 30" solid) at 9:00 in the same spot off Tabor Point in 18' of water and set tip-ups in a long arc into those shallows near the rocks.  Got this 12" perch on a heavy medium shiner first thing and the rest of the big ones on the tip-ups pretty steady which kept me from jigging much but then they turned to the usual 9" around noon and I got to jig until 2:00 when they started to get small and then stopped.  No big fish today. but had a lot of flags in those shallows but kept losing them.  They'd get tangled in the tree branches.  I think they come into the shallows that have structure to scope out a place to spawn.  Could be those rocks get warm first; I don't think there will be good access much longer; with the warm coming this week the shore line will open up.  Probably be my last chance until next time; been a good season.
[url][/url]

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hog Island report
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Some really fat ones...I'm going one more time tomorrow

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Fish fry !!!! :)

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I like your keeper stick. Sure beats carrying a law book and flimsy tape measure.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Thanks!  On the other side I have laminated pictures of all the fish that I might encounter so I won't get nabbed with too many of the wrong kind.  The side you see is just Lake Champlain fish while on the other side is Lake Carmi 'cause I fish up there, too.  I've often thought of going to one of those invention-helping companies to see if they would make a plastic version.  Wonder if guys would buy 'em.

On another note, nobody mentioned the two dark ones towards the top of the picture.  They were very wormy while the rest were very clean.  Wonder if they migrated from skankier waters for the big rendezvous?

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2014, 04:04 PM »
saw a few guys fishing out in front of the tabor's boat launch today

Offline Big Unit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Any ice report on Hog island?

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Not yet, been working but tomorrow is supposed to be my last day (perfect timing) so will now be able to go when weather permits; don't worry, I'm sure the ice is plenty safe now; I'll make a report as soon as I get out there and back.  Thanks for asking.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:26 PM »
drove up maquam shore today whole lake is frozen now, no idea what ice thickness but good that the whole lake took in this cold!!!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline Big Unit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:15 AM »
The lake is all frozen from Maquam?  Woah!  Fast freeze up this year!  Thanks guys.

Wish you good luck jbritch!

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:27 AM »
The lake is all frozen from Maquam?  Woah!  Fast freeze up this year!  Thanks guys.

Wish you good luck jbritch!

yea i was surprised as well that it was locked up. My morning drive to work takes me by the bay so i dont drive up the shore to see the main lake much but when i drove out to the end of hathaway point and couldnt see open water i suspected that it might be locked up so i drove up as far as popsquash and it was locked up as far out as i could see. give it some time to freeze up nice and good!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:21 AM »
yea i was surprised as well that it was locked up. My morning drive to work takes me by the bay so i dont drive up the shore to see the main lake much but when i drove out to the end of hathaway point and couldnt see open water i suspected that it might be locked up so i drove up as far as popsquash and it was locked up as far out as i could see. give it some time to freeze up nice and good!

I fished that area last weekend but on the other side.  5-6 inches everywhere I drilled until you get close to the channel.  We hammered the perch and my buddy landed a chunky walleye. 

Offline Jnoyes74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Is there a place to rent ice shantys around hog island

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Any Shanties, placed out on the point? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor