Author Topic: buddy heater problem  (Read 533 times)

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
buddy heater problem
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:37 AM »
buddy heater has been going out every few minutes.seems the pilot starts getting bigger and bigger then blows its self out,which kills the gas.
tried diff. tanks,did have a bulk tank with no  filter for a very limited time.  i've seen how they get clogged not using a filter.
does it sound like it's clogged or would the problem be in the pilot assembly? [can't remember the name of it]   
it's an older model, small buddy.   thanks for any input,i'll catch back up to this in a couple hours-actually got some snow here!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: buddy heater problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Try this.   
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:50 AM »
thanks REB.    your awesome!!

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:57 AM »
If cleaning the pilot doesn't solve the problen, the pilot assemby may have to be replaced, here is a part number if you need it. #78422, Good luck !

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Had same issue with my Little Buddy  heater    the problem was highlighted when going above 7K altitude -
 as in, it would not work at all!

I cleaned the pilot tube and good to go even above 7K (albeit it does not work as well with the limited supply of oxygen)
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Mine is doing something similar.  Does the pilot light sound like it's a mini jet engine taking off and the flame length is around 3 or 4 inches?  That is the problem I am having.  I think my regulator is freezing open and too much pressure is getting into the unit.  I am going to call mr. heater and i will repost.
  BE THERE!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Talked with MH tech support.  Sounds like I have a defective regulator.  Either $4 or $8 to replace depending on the type.  There are 2 types of regulators for the regular Buddy heater..just FYI.  Look for the printed letters on it.  I think they say either "CHANT" or "PRECIMIX" if I heard the tech support guy correctly.
  BE THERE!

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Well done  HVFD14, handy tip ! The parts manual only lists one part number for the regulators !

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:34 AM »
THANKS GUYS.gonna get started on it now!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:37 AM »
cleaned it all up,but it sure didn't come apart like the one in the video-it snaps together,and I'm testing it out on the porch.seems better but I think I'll order a reg. just to be sure.
I think mine might be one of the first ones made.a friends brother-n-law worked for MH and got us 1 each.this ones made in cleveland,are they still made here?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.