Author Topic: for ice fishing only atv or snowmobile?  (Read 7731 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
for ice fishing only atv or snowmobile?
« on: Aug 15, 2015, 04:08 PM »
what is better for ice fishing a atv like a quad or a snowmobile.. reason I ask is we get approx. 18-20 inches of snow on average the last three years I think to open up new waters for me a snowmobile would be best.  but see a lot of guys with atv's I am not just parking on the lake and driving out  over the tracks others have made... I would  be crossing fields covered with snow 18-20 inches of snow plus the snow drifts . I am thinking a quad would get bogged down crossing these fields... now a snow mobile might make it... this would be for ice fishing only so is there any reason to go with any thing other then a snowmobile? also what's better liquid or air cooled motors? looking at getting a 2up...     

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: for ice fishing only atv or snowmobile?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2015, 04:41 PM »
air cooled sled

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2015, 04:46 PM »
thank you...now just to find one for use around here hours really  don't matter on the motor just has to be in good condition when I buy it.. but still wondering the consensus on the atv versus the snowmobile from others..     

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2015, 07:40 PM »
I have both, each has it's +'s and -"s. If you are certain it's only for icefishing, and you normally get the snow you mentioned, then IMO a sled is the way to go. I agree with rags, air cooled is preferred, with scratchers, just in case you have it on glare ice. And yes, the newer 2-up models are light years ahead of the 15+ year old sit-back models. I would also suggest a long track model with studs, less chance of skidding out of control or getting stuck.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Atv on tracks. Expensive, but best of both worlds
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Thanks that's what I wanted to hear.. by the way track are out of the question for a atv... but ya that exactly why I am thinking snowmobile cause  the snow is always way to deep for reg tires were I want to go... but it is good to know about liquid cooled versus air cooled.. along with scratchers which did not know that much about any ways thanks all that replied... 

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:41 PM »
I also  have both but if you're getting the snow you mentioned, a sled is definitely the way to go.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2015, 09:54 PM »
I also  have both but if you're getting the snow you mentioned, a sled is definitely the way to go.

that and open field like we got around here is why I am thinking it summer and spring and fall I can bike and hike back in to these lakes so I am not worried about a atv  but am sure thinking about the snowmobile cause hauling heavy gear in snow long distances... which you could with a atv but I think you would get to bogged down by snow heck Fowlerville is part of the snow belt I am on they get hit the worst south  like down buy ohio and Dundee, mi ...but your fairly close to ware I am ... so I am guessing you get a lot of snow like we do on local lakes??   

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I grew up in SE Mi, mainly fished lake st clair. I can think of maybe a hand full of times it was truly glare ice. We ran an air cooled sled. When there was insufficient snow to cool the hifax we would drill a couple holes and skimmer the slush up into the track area.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I would think based on your average snowfall in your area your best bet would be a snowmobile. I would suggest you purchase some good covers for your all your sleds along with some good hitches and tow bars .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2015, 07:57 AM »
the way I look at it, ice fishing is a winter sport. If you want a rig just for ice fishing, get the one that is best in the winter. for pulling gear and running on ice and not so deep snow and trails, air cooled would probably be the best. But I don't know if it's really that big of an issue.

servocam

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2015, 01:01 PM »
I have many told me to get the ATV/4-Wheeler as you can then use it in the summer.  In your case, as it will be just for ice-fishing, and as the rest pointed out, due to the deep snow, the snowmobile will be the way to go.  I have (2) Indy 600's w/ 121" track and can sled right to the lake from my house...I however have a groomed trail for 3 miles to the lake....but it goes through 18-24" powder filled ditch w/o any issues (and lots of fun).  I'd suggest you look at utility sleds with a bit of a longer track, maybe in the 136"-144" range.  If you expect to drive on a lot of ice, then suggest a studded track. 

I'm sure air-cooled will be just fine (however everyone I talk too says go liquid cool - but that is also for zipping down the trail or across the lake). 

What do you have for a shack/tow-behind sled?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2015, 02:16 PM »
for shacks I got a large  soroc sport sled with a frabill hub , a one man frabill recon and a shappell atv rack with shappell s3000 so I am set on shelters for now...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2015, 02:24 PM »
for shacks I got a large  soroc sport sled with a frabill hub , a one man frabill recon and a shappell atv rack with shappell s3000 so I am set on shelters for now...

I have the Shappel ATV rack on my 2000 Yamaha Kodiak ...fits my Frabill Adventurer just fine . If you Modify the rack to a snowmobile please post pictures .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2015, 04:34 PM »
Thanks that's what I wanted to hear.. by the way track are out of the question for a atv... but ya that exactly why I am thinking snowmobile cause  the snow is always way to deep for reg tires were I want to go... but it is good to know about liquid cooled versus air cooled.. along with scratchers which did not know that much about any ways thanks all that replied...

Fan-cooled sled is better, especially for wind-blown ice and warmer days on the ice. Scratchers, especially on wind-blown ice to keep the sliders lubricated.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2015, 05:14 PM »
I have the Shappel ATV rack on my 2000 Yamaha Kodiak ...fits my Frabill Adventurer just fine . If you Modify the rack to a snowmobile please post pictures .

will do I do got a welder so it's not out of the question to mount it to the snow mobile .. mite not have enough ground clearance to go over bumps or up a hill... ya it mite bottom out is my point...

servocam

« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2015, 05:43 PM »
I would think based on your average snowfall in your area your best bet would be a snowmobile. I would suggest you purchase some good covers for your all your sleds along with some good hitches and tow bars .

2nd that.  Don't forget the hyfax runner kit for your sled as well.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Call me stupid but why are air cooled preferred over water coolers, my guess weight?
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2015, 06:23 AM »
you would want a air cooled for running ice because its not dependent on snow to cool the engine 

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:20 AM »
I would go with an ATV with tracks  if money if no option otherwise I would go with a two up snowmobile w/reverse.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Air cooled sled.  You are limited to the 550-600 motors in the air cooled but you don't need a lot of power anyway.  I have a buddy who runs a liquid cooled 800 and it's a pain to wait on him halfway to the spot because he has to let his engine cool. 

As someone else said, get the hyfax runners for your tub.  That ice chews up equipment.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:18 PM »
OP,

Yes it is a very tough decision...  I read "Every Thread in the Transportation Section".  I do live in a snow belt caused by Lake Effect Snows in my area.  My quad is a UTV 2006 Yamaha Rhino with Locking 4WD and Mudder Tires and will handle snow up to 18" and then add the SLUSH and even that quad / UTV can not handle it.

Honestly, the best you can get would be a 1000cc UTV with TRACKS...CHA CHING$$$, however that $1,500.00 Sled was more into my budget and the WIFEY says she want to ride it in the back 40 acres :) a WIN & WIN :).
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2015, 01:51 PM »
This depends on location and budget. I'm in NE Wis and we see a ton of ice and slush. I run a Polaris 570 with tracks and love it so far. Got it stuck once, bought a winch and made a come along and no problems since. I liked the idea of having a machine to use all year round.

Offline j_shoe99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2015, 12:43 PM »
I was able to pickup a $400 2-up, fan-cooled snowmobile late last Spring, that i'll use for ice fishing.  I just got done fab'n up a front auger rack, and a rear rack w/milk crates for it.   Sucks it doesn't have reverse, which is why I had to leave the rear grab bar free.

I live in the 'city' and I do not hunt, so I really had no reason for an ATV for anything but ice fishing.  Plus I've had to shovel out my cousin's ATV recently with these high snow seasons we've had.  I'm also looking forward to doing some trail riding this Winter too with the snowmobile.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Hey shoe....can you post some pics of how you rigged the front rack?
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline j_shoe99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Excuse my crappy photos, but my camera lens is cracked on my phone.

I simply attached some U-bolts to the front bumper, to hold it.  (Don't mind the wing nuts)  The bumper SEEMED pretty sturdy, so I figured I'd try this first, and hopefully it doesn't snap off.  My auger is the Jiffy Propane Lite, so it's only ~28 pounds.  I wanted to fab something sturdy, to the snowmobile frame or something, but couldn't find any locations without doing some 'major' fabricating.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:19 PM »
If I was going to replace what I currently use, I would seriously look at the Bearcat, Skandic, or Tundra in long track. My current sled is a Formula 500 Deluxe w electric start & reverse. A nice all around sled, but when this one wears out the next one will be a utility/work sled. ;)

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Excuse my crappy photos, but my camera lens is cracked on my phone.

I simply attached some U-bolts to the front bumper, to hold it.  (Don't mind the wing nuts)  The bumper SEEMED pretty sturdy, so I figured I'd try this first, and hopefully it doesn't snap off.  My auger is the Jiffy Propane Lite, so it's only ~28 pounds.  I wanted to fab something sturdy, to the snowmobile frame or something, but couldn't find any locations without doing some 'major' fabricating.

Thanks....unfortunatel y my sled doesn't have a front bumper.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Here's the rack I built for my sled. The rack with the tub weighs 23lbs and is easily removable. You can put the rack on or take it off in about 30 seconds. My one mane shack will sit snugly in the tub, auger is mounted to the front of the sled using a Digger auger mount.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2015, 01:33 PM »
rouser, it is starting look like one awesome Ice Fishing Machine!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.