The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ok, Now I Have a Question:  (Read 1361 times)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ok, Now I Have a Question:
« on: Feb 11, 2007, 03:02 AM »
I just bought my Strikemaster 4 stroke today. It works great! It came with a DVD however, so I watched it tonight after I got home. Dave Genz is on it, and said when drilling your holes, once you hit bottom of ice, shut it down and pull it back out not spinning. I have always pulled it back out spinning, kind of like drilling through metal or wood with a drill. There's footage on it of him drilling holes and he leaves it spinning when he pulls it back out. What does everyone else do? Just seems easier to me to leave her spinning.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
Re: Ok, Now I Have a Question:
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2007, 04:21 AM »
I will let go of the throttle so that that auger isn't spinning and throwing more water up on the ice and then pull the auger out of the hole. Carefully carry it to the next hole location and proceed to drill the next hole. I couldn't imagine if you had to restart an auger everytime you moved 25 yards to drill another hole.

Offline WindFlag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:13 AM »
I wonder what his reasoning to do this is? Did he say? I usually do just what fish boy said. If it was instructional video it could be something to do with safety, but it kind of defeats the purpose if they show him doing what he just said not to do. I'm curious to see more thoughts on this.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:47 AM »
I wonder what his reasoning to do this is? Did he say? I usually do just what fish boy said. If it was instructional video it could be something to do with safety, but it kind of defeats the purpose if they show him doing what he just said not to do. I'm curious to see more thoughts on this.

I'd have to agree with you on the safety part. If you happen to read some of teh warming stickers on the auger it actually tells you to shut the auger off while carrying it between holes. BUt doing that is too much of a pain.

Offline N3480H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Corporate counsel (lawyers) or their business insurance carrier probably wanted that on the instructional video.  People with no common sense will hurt themselves in stupid ways, and then try to hold manufacturers liable in court. 

I don't mind bringing up a little slush and water because it makes for less time spent with the ice scoop - and more time spent pulling fish out of the hole.  I do not shut it down in the hole, nor between holes.  If we did everything lawyers and insurance carriers told us to do, we'd never go out on the ice, would we?

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:27 AM »
yah it just covers there butts so no one hurts themselves then goes and tries to get money fromt he company because the person thought" i didnt know that if it cut threw ice it could cut threw people too!!!"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:32 AM »
stupid personal injury attorneys :P

Ever heard of the boy that cried wolf? These dough heads have cried danger so much that everyone thinks warning stickers are only for the mentally disabled!

Good Job!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.