The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: First time using Nils/tanaka questions!  (Read 1847 times)

Offline fishflint

• IceShanty Rookie
First time using Nils/tanaka questions!
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Had my new Nils power auger out yesterday.  I have never owned my own power auger and have only used a few before this...all crappy ones where I had to lay on the thing to make it go down. 

I didn't have too much of an issue making it cut...seems to pull itself through the ice as advertised.

First off Nils needs to include some kind of instructions with the auger...i know there isn't hardly anything to the auger part itself.  The tanaka comes with adequate documentation of course, but from nils you just get an auger, no tips or mounting instructions.

My problem is I think I had the shaft mounted to the powerhead incorrectly for about half the day.  I looked down and the nut was about to come off.  This may be why when I first fired it up and ran it with the bit on I thought "man that thing looks like it wobbles a lot".

So after looking at it for a few I re-mounted the shaft, this time I think correctly.

only drilling through 6inches of ice max.  A few times at the start of the day it got slightly stuck in the hole, I would have to just give it a little nudge or lift up and get it spinning again...I think it may have just been bad form on my part...being a Newb like I always am.  I know enough to not tilt the auger in the hole...

Also at the very bottom of the hole it seems to wobble and bounce around a lot sometimes like it doesn't want to fully break out the bottom of the hole.....is this normal?

What about all the play in the coupler where the shaft attaches?  I have the 8inch 42''shaft with powerpoint.

I think I got better at it as the day went on...maybe I just have to learn the feeling of it breaking through and then doing the quick lift straight out of the hole.

Here's a video I just made so you guys can verify I have this mounted correctly.

http://youtu.be/4EqT7DoIxfs

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First time using Nils/tanaka questions!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:54 AM »
You have it correct. Do you have the Power point bit? Remember almost no down pressure is needed. You may be running the motor too slow when breaking through causeing the bind.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline fishflint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:01 PM »
thanks bee, I think you're right, probably just technique.  I do have a power point.  I applied zero down pressure at all times...cuts great.

I'm probably holding it like a girly boy just because this is the first time in 10 years I've used a power drill on a day to day basis.  Only had the thing out 1 day so far and put down 100 holes! Nice!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:45 PM »
yes, that is the correct way. make sure the coupler is threaded on tight. Tighten it up a little more with the power head in the upright position and hold on tight at full speed ;D

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:49 PM »
  Thanks for posting the video.  You did everything correct up to the point you tightened down the nut.
You have to put the allen wrench on the bolt and hold it tight while you tighten down the nut.
When you tightened down the nut the bolt backed out a hair and that is where the wobble is coming from.
The head of the bolt needs to be tight against the flat spot on the auger.

You have to break in a Tanaka engine.  Well you don't have to because eventually it will be broke in but till that time it'll be a little hard starting and
lack power.   Mix at 50:1 ratio with 2 cycle oil.  Put some wight into a 5 gallon bucket and set the engine on the bucket. Use bungie cords on the handles to keep it there. Let it idle for 15 minutes and once in a while give it gas, half and full. Do that for at least half a tank.  After a couple tanks you can go with Amzoil Saber if you want.  I stick with 75:1 after break in.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline fishflint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Frank you rock, no more wobble...thanks a lot!

I did a break in the on the engine before taking it to the ice.  Running amsoil sabre.

Offline skittles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Fishflint,
"Also at the very bottom of the hole it seems to wobble and bounce around a lot sometimes like it doesn't want to fully break out the bottom of the hole.....is this normal?"

This is my first year with the 8" Nils blade with the powerhead and I experienced the same thing.  I do not have the powerpoint on mine.  Last year I used the 6" Nils and never had it do this, I actually had to hold on when she broke through.  So is pulling up at breakthrough the correct technique?  Or maybe a very little push at breakthrough?

Thanks

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:22 PM »
i also have a new nils/tanaka and broke it in today following the instructions listed above.... everything seemed to work fine... my question is how do you know when it is broke in???? It seems to be running well and staying at idle. I used up about a half tank of gas and spent about 45 minutes or so idling and trying diffferent throttles. Also tried cycling the choke while throttling which is what someone else had recommended.. long story short it was running good so i guess i am ready to drill some real holes now next week in vermont. any addional advice??  I just used a syntheic premix oil recommended for air cooled engines but not the AMS sabre pro.. Used it at 50:1 as recommended in the book i got with the tanaka.. I also have another questoin with the sabre pro does it really make a differnence in performance and if i use a mix that is leaner than 50:1 (either 75:1 or 100:1 will it void my warantee on the motor?

Thanks all!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:45 PM »
No up to 100:1 won't void it with Amsoil... your good to use it, it will continue to break in for the next 1000 holes...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.