Author Topic: Pike  (Read 1090 times)

Offline #1Younggun

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:50 PM »
What do you think is the best depth when fishing for pike and how far do you sit off the bottom?
Thanks

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:14 AM »
When it comes to Pike any where from three feet to right on bottom works well. In fact some of the biggest Pike I've hooked were when my bait generally a smelt or herring was right on bottom. More important than depth is being in good holding water find a reedy point and set holes from three to 30 or more feet.  Tight lines!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:07 PM »
I have heard of people fishing in 20 feet of water and having the bait only 5 feet under the ice.  The theory:  A pike can see up better than down because their eyes are on the top of their head.  Thus making the bait in this situation easier to see for pike at all levels.

My theory:  Start near the bottom and work your way up to where you start getting bites.  If you have two tip-ups going, try different levels. 
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:29 PM »

My theory:  Start near the bottom and work your way up to where you start getting bites.  If you have two tip-ups going, try different levels. 

I would have to agree with this, you will find that sometimes certain holes will be more productive than say another one you have drilled.
I start on the bottom about 8 - 10 inches and work up from there.

~Gone Fishing~

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:39 PM »
I usually start in the shallows and see how it goes. Secondly I search for Perch and where there is Perch 9 out of 10 times there are Pike!
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline #1Younggun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:16 PM »
I have heard of people fishing in 20 feet of water and having the bait only 5 feet under the ice.  The theory:  A pike can see up better than down because their eyes are on the top of their head.  Thus making the bait in this situation easier to see for pike at all levels.

The first one seems interesting i might have to try it. But i like your idea of making your way up from the bottom.

Thanks All

Offline carpenter75

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take your family, improve your lives.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I agree, finding a area with lots of small fish is a good idea. Pike are a ambush predator and fishing near weed beds and reeds is the best. Most of my luck has been in 2-3 feet of water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.