The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up covers DIY  (Read 645 times)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up covers DIY
« on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Hello, It always amazes me the number of guys I see out there chipping ice off their tip ups. Just go buy or find at a garage sale old camping matts. Cut them in a 10" square or larger if you use 10" holes and cut a slit straight into the middle of them, I cut out a small triangle for low flier tip ups anda small square for wood tip ups in the center. Cover edges with a small amount of snow when you use them and you can go all day with thawed holes. bring them out in an old milk crate or a tub if you fish with a large group. Its amazing how much they help, and if you make them from foam matts there only .50 cents to a dollar to make. Cheaper if you find them at a garage sale. I have found rolled foam rubber they sell for anitfatigue works even better...but harder to find. Hope this saves a few of you some work :-).  :tipup:
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Re: Tip up covers DIY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:07 PM »
Good tip aquarium! I need to make some of these. I have been "that guy" using the metal ice skimmer to gently break ice off my Heritage Lakers at the end of the day. I am always paranoid I am going to break or bend something with the "gentle beating". These will help! Thanks!  :tipup:

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip up covers DIY
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2015, 12:08 PM »
I agree. I used to always chip my holes as they would freeze, check them regularly so the ice didn't get too thick, and constantly mess with them. I purchased some other tip ups from my buddy and he gave me some homemade covers just as you explained. I think they were cut out of a gym mat or something of the sort. I kind of chuckled and tossed them to the side. One day I said what the heck, I'll try anything once. So i tried them out. And they worked great!! I did all my tip ups except one just to see the difference, and it was like night and day. I wont leave them at home again, they are a great idea, and as you were saying, they can be made for little to nothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.