New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice fishing on Schroon lake  (Read 2915 times)

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Ice fishing on Schroon lake
« on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:14 AM »
I took the boat up to Schroon lake and launched at the southern end. I get up to Eagle point and see another boat by what looks like some new buoys. As I get closer I see they are tip-ups floating in the water. They used what looked like kids pool noodles on the arms and set them in the water. Ingenious I guess they really wanted to ice fish. I don't know how legal this is but they most have had fun. I only got one short laker but it was nice being on the lake sunday.

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
Re: Ice fishing on Schroon lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:24 AM »
. They used what looked like kids pool noodles on the arms and set them in the water. Ingenious I guess they really wanted to ice fish. I don't know how legal this is but they most have had fun. I only got one short laker but it was nice being on the lake sunday.
It is illegal to float tippers.
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:25 AM »
Thats what I figured but it most have been nice chasing flags

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Yeah,but for me personally,I'd rather wait and do it it the right the way. Even if it means waiting till next season,but I really hope not!!Somethings got to give. :tipup: :tipup:
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:34 AM »
hopefully soon. the NOAA radio said it was suppose to get cold up there starting tuesday

Offline jmal

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If Momma a'int happy, a'int nobody happy!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Yeah,but for me personally,I'd rather wait and do it it the right the way. Even if it means waiting till next season,but I really hope not!!Somethings got to give. :tipup: :tipup:

I agree with you....it is what it is. We do the best we can legally.   8) May the North Wind decend upon us !!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Personally I dont see the problem with using tipups in open water. If you are only using 2 rods (in this case tipups) I am sure you could argue that its legal. But i am pretty sure somewhere in the regs it says the ice fishing season is from Nov 1st- April 15th or something along those lines :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

JJ

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Tipups are not legal for angling, only ice fishing. Following from NYS Fishing Regulations:

Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and the use of landing nets to complete the catch. Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water. An angler may operate no more than two lines with or without a rod, and each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both, and in addition, each line shall have not exceeding fifteen hook points in any combination of single, double, or treble hooks, provided the total number of hook points does not exceed fifteen. Snatching, lifting, hooking and the use of tip-ups are not angling.

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:44 AM »
I saw a guy floating a tip up on a little inner tube at Wellesley Island Campground over the summer!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Fishing with a tipup during open water is considered jug fishing, which is illegal in NY.   ::)

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:06 PM »
Fishing with a tipup during open water is considered jug fishing, which is illegal in NY.   ::)

your right Chen but those boys down south of the mason dixen line sure can strum up a big ol' catfish fry right quick wit dem old bleach bottles.

Sounds like a good bit for Jeff Foxworthy, I'll give em' a call.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:34 PM »
ilikepike and I were thinking of doing this due to the lack of ice, but it was more of a joke than it actually being practical.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:12 PM »
what if you made some rings of ice to put the tipups on, then technically it should be considered ice fishing.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:02 PM »
what if you made some rings of ice to put the tipups on, then technically it should be considered ice fishing.
Brilliant

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:04 PM »

Nope, its technically jug fishing. ::)

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Still it looked like fun

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:51 AM »
If it is not legal, I wouldn't do it, now that I know. However, had it not been for this post, I would have never thought that it would be illegal. I've got to say though, that is darn funny and neat that someone actually thought to do that. I woulda lmao had I been out on my boat and seen that. That's great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.